Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for begginer

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Stoney » 15 Jan 2019, 6:59 pm

.303....... :thumbsup: There, I have said it. :lol: 215grn Woodleighs stoked to the max.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2019, 7:03 pm

bigrich wrote:The only problem with picking up used cases at the range is having to full length resize them all and are they all the same brands and case volume ? Better off just fire forming new brass to your rifle JMHO :

I was thinking that when you are learning to reload that having to resize was all good practice and having a few free cases to practice on was good too, if you manage to damage some. After a few weeks of collecting brass you can sort through the thousands you have amassed and use ones with the same headstamp.

With the money you save you can buy some more reloading equipment. Store bought ADI brass will not shoot any better than range scrap ADI brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Jan 2019, 7:28 pm

The only drawback with range brass is that you don't know it's provenance.
Has it been fired once or abandoned after 10 reloads?
They certainly are cheaper though, and if you're observant about inspecting them a good alternative for some.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2019, 7:37 pm

After you first couple of thousand free range scrap cases you can spot the once fired compared to the ten times reloaded, people often leave the ammo packets on the bench to give you further information.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Jan 2019, 8:12 pm

Experience would help I'd imagine.
I haven't been reloading for that long, I only finished my third bottle of 2206H yesterday, so I'm still at the bottom of the curve, in the fussy, check with a jeweler's loupe every reload stage.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Jan 2019, 8:40 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Experience would help I'd imagine.
I haven't been reloading for that long, I only finished my third bottle of 2206H yesterday, so I'm still at the bottom of the curve, in the fussy, check with a jeweler's loupe every reload stage.

nothing wrong with being fussy gaz, especially with stuff that goes bang :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2019, 9:01 pm

I wish people would give me all my brass for free and not just 223 or 308. Also if they could be more considerate and put them in a box with my name on it instead of just throwing them on the ground.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Jan 2019, 10:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I wish people would give me all my brass for free and not just 223 or 308. Also if they could be more considerate and put them in a box with my name on it instead of just throwing them on the ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Jan 2019, 11:45 am

bigrich wrote:
marksman wrote:I'm not kidding Bigrich the ackleys I have are brilliant,
the guy I made the 17 hornady hornet cases for has a factory cz varminter that shot way better with the made cases than the factory gear, 1/4-1/2 moa
I'm fire forming the cases I formed and posted about at the moment, enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10968
I head shot a rabbit at over 250 the other day to the surprise of the farmer who had pulled up for a chat at my stand by a tree
I have shot rabbits a bit further away with this rifle, there is a hell of a lot of work to make the cases it's not for everyone
but you get out of it what you put into it :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

i saw some youtube vids and online reviews about 17 hornet from the UK and it was impressive. 300 +yard shots with good consistancy :shock: i'm suprised it took this long for it to become a factory round when it's bin around for a long time . besides 17 rem, the 17 hornet used to be a very popular fox pelt round when i was a kid

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

the 17 ackley was the fox round the 17 hornet is the copy
the 17 mach iv was another they copied to the 17 fireball
the reason I believe they were only popular with people who made money out of them was that at that time people were happy with there 22's and shotguns for rabbits and foxes, if you wanted to shoot roo's or pigs you got a 303 ect.. you also had to make the cases but the payoff was that you could chest shoot a fox and you would have to skin it to find the entry hole, no blow outs like with the 17 rem, 222 or 22-250, it wasn't for the casual bunny shooter
the 17 hornet has taken off but the salesman has told a few porkies when comparing it to the ackley version,
it would be much better with better quality cases :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2019, 5:23 pm

marksman wrote:
bigrich wrote:
marksman wrote:I'm not kidding Bigrich the ackleys I have are brilliant,
the guy I made the 17 hornady hornet cases for has a factory cz varminter that shot way better with the made cases than the factory gear, 1/4-1/2 moa
I'm fire forming the cases I formed and posted about at the moment, enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10968
I head shot a rabbit at over 250 the other day to the surprise of the farmer who had pulled up for a chat at my stand by a tree
I have shot rabbits a bit further away with this rifle, there is a hell of a lot of work to make the cases it's not for everyone
but you get out of it what you put into it :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

i saw some youtube vids and online reviews about 17 hornet from the UK and it was impressive. 300 +yard shots with good consistancy :shock: i'm suprised it took this long for it to become a factory round when it's bin around for a long time . besides 17 rem, the 17 hornet used to be a very popular fox pelt round when i was a kid

the 17 ackley was the fox round the 17 hornet is the copy
the 17 mach iv was another they copied to the 17 fireball
the reason I believe they were only popular with people who made money out of them was that at that time people were happy with there 22's and shotguns for rabbits and foxes, if you wanted to shoot roo's or pigs you got a 303 ect.. you also had to make the cases but the payoff was that you could chest shoot a fox and you would have to skin it to find the entry hole, no blow outs like with the 17 rem, 222 or 22-250, it wasn't for the casual bunny shooter
the 17 hornet has taken off but the salesman has told a few porkies when comparing it to the ackley version,
it would be much better with better quality cases :drinks:

talking about old stuff, i was in at rebel gun works today and they had some " new- old" ammo and brass in original boxes on the counter for sale . "SUPER" brand 303-25 :shock: wonder what old fella safe they come out off

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 17 Jan 2019, 9:58 am

[quote="Gaznazdiak"]
Experience would help I'd imagine.
[/quote]

Mate, I'm still paranoid about checking everything, and I'm a loooong way past my third bottle of 2206H...

Checking is good. Might be tedious and might be time-consuming, but think of it as another way to piss the Phukup Fairy off...

In my case; loading ammo for the overseer makes me a tiny bit paranoid.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Jan 2019, 10:11 am

G'day Rod.
It was once drummed into me that the main thing to remember in any endeavor is the 7 Ps

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

If I am going to detonate some explosive propellant 4 inches from my face I'm also probably always going to be anal about it no matter how long I've been doing it.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:G'day Rod.
It was once drummed into me that the main thing to remember in any endeavor is the 7 Ps

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

If I am going to detonate some explosive propellant 4 inches from my face I'm also probably always going to be anal about it no matter how long I've been doing it.
:drinks:

well said Gaz :drinks:
this is where a chronograph does come in handy to check the burn rate of your new powder :wtf:
or you can see if the projectiles drops or hits high when testing the new powder :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

Yeah,, MM, a chrono is on the list, and I like the idea of being able to factor muzzle velocity into the terminal results for tweaking.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition