Procedure for brand new brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Procedure for brand new brass

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

Hi. If purchasing unfired brand new brass is it a good idea to run it through a sizing die first or can I just prime Charge and seat ?
Blr243
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Procedure for brand new brass

Post by in2anity » 12 Jan 2019, 12:24 pm

They will be to spec - just check the length is what you need
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 12:44 pm

There is nothing to stop you loading it and shooting. I run mine through a mandrel as the cases have way too much neck tension. This also irons out any little dents in the neck. The length can be checked but I don't trim them until they have been fired once.
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 3:00 pm

Depending on the brand mate, but I generally champfer, deburr, and run them through the neck sizer.
Probably an overkill but that what I do.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 4:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:Hi. If purchasing unfired brand new brass is it a good idea to run it through a sizing die first or can I just prime Charge and seat ?

I neck-size just for consistent neck tension, but I doubt you'd have any trouble simply seating bullets straight into them.
You should prep the brass before you start using it though.
Neck size then trim them all to consistent length.
Chamfer the case mouth and primer pocket.
I cut the primer pockets to consistent depth.
Deburr the case mouth and the flash hole.

If you neck-size you'll still have trim every few loads, if you FLS you might have to trim every time. I run my brass through the Trim Die every time anyway, even though most of them don't touch the cutter. I just like to know they're all exactly the same length every time. When you trim them you'll also have to chamfer and deburr the case mouth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 12 Jan 2019, 6:34 pm

I’ve literally won a long range comp with brand-new untouched brass - before I loaded, I measured them and they were spot on to my requirements (51mm), so I loaded up without touching them at all. I’ve done this before with other rifle brass and I’ve always had a hunch that brand new brass is as good as it’ll get. Of course this may vary from brand to brand, but unless your shooting a bench or f-class rig (and you are versed in such styles) I feel any discrepancies would be basically immeasurable.
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Jan 2019, 7:14 pm

Depends on brand of brass.

I find the Lapua and Norma brass to be stuff you can use straight out of the box.
I find the OSA brass to be very close to as good, but I note the OSA brass seems to be close to max length from new, so might need checking case length.
I find Remington brass generally needs to be thrown in the bin, before you waste your time with it (my experience - YMMV).
I find Winchester brass to be okay, but I tend to find enough oddities to prefer to run it through a neck-sizer at least, but certainly check it all before loading.
I've found Sellier & Bellot brass to be varied enough to inspect it thoroughly, and usually FL size and trim before first use.
[I've only done a couple of small batches with S&B, but it was all over the place both times]
I've only used pistol cases in Starline, but I seem to recall it was pretty close to spec.
Cant recall if I've ever loaded Hornady brass from new, so not sure what it's like.

Always wise to check it to be sure, though.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 7:28 pm

Your a bit harsh on Remington brass Rod.

With Winchester, Remington or Federal brass I clean up a kernel of brass inside the case where the flash hole was punched. You don't have to do this prior to first shooting it or at all but it does make ignition from the primer more consistant. You don't need to do this with Norma or Lapua brass as they drill their flash holes.
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Jan 2019, 6:17 am

Yeah; my experience with Remington hasnt been very positive.

The new 7mm-08 brass had to be binned after the second reloading, as nearly 30% of the cases cant hold a primer in the pockets any more.
I know the Tikka (7mm-08) is a bit harder on the brass than either of my .308's, but even the re-sized (ho-hum) Federal brass is making it past 5 reloads before I'm getting significant numbers of failures (~5%).
I was warned by a couple of gun shops, that the Federal .308 brass (130gn HP loads that were being sold by the 500-round box a few years back) had a high failure rate, but even after re-sizing to 7mm-08, I'm still getting at least 5 reloads from it.

I have also reloaded Remington factory cartridges in the .243 and the .308, and found both needed a lot more remedial work, than nearly any other other brand of brass that I use.

Not worth the time to prep it; in my opinion, and I wont recommend it to anyone to buy as unprimed brass.

My experience; I hope others dont enjoy same..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jan 2019, 7:39 am

Thanks for the replies. It helps me make the right decision for myself.
Blr243
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jan 2019, 7:42 am

I only use ADI, out of the bag, quick inspection and load them up, never had a problem.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 13 Jan 2019, 8:44 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I only use ADI, out of the bag, quick inspection and load them up, never had a problem.

Can’t go wrong with ADI mate. I use it in my .308. Never had a problem.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 11:18 am

I neck size new brass...for the same reasons as SCJ-neck tension & dents in necks.

I also uniform primer pockets & deburr the flash holes first up...add a little chamfer to the case mouth & load up.

I also check the length but i dont trim until after theyve been fired...sometimes (providing length is ok) i dont trim till 2 firings.

SCJ429...
Its interesting you say its not necessary to deburr flash holes in lap or norma brass.

I have 3x100 lots of Norma, & i removed a substantial amount of brass with the flashole deburr tool...was a bit of work there actually :unknown: :)

I had heard that only Nosler brass was fully prepped out of the box... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2019, 12:29 pm

That is interesting Stix, both Norma and Lapua drill their flash hole. I have not found that little kernel on any Norma brass but I have only used Norma for Weatherby cases, 222 and 300 Win Mag. The Win Mag brass is headstamped Lapua but contracted out to Norma.

I also heard that Noslers brass is made by Norma, at least some of it. Some may be also made by RWS. What caliber was the Norma brass that you had to prep?
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Jan 2019, 2:08 pm

I will always run mine through a full lenght die to start with to avoid any chambering issues. Nothing worse that been on the farm go to chamber and the bolt wont close.

Once they have been fire formed i neck size.

Depends on the manufacturer most is spot on adi,remington,lapua unless its winchester in that case i full length size the bag in the bin.
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2019, 4:30 pm

SCJ429 wrote:That is interesting Stix, both Norma and Lapua drill their flash hole. I have not found that little kernel on any Norma brass but I have only used Norma for Weatherby cases, 222 and 300 Win Mag. The Win Mag brass is headstamped Lapua but contracted out to Norma.

I also heard that Noslers brass is made by Norma, at least some of it. Some may be also made by RWS. What caliber was the Norma brass that you had to prep?

Drilling a hole doesn't obviate the need to deburr it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2019, 8:08 pm

When running the K&M tool in Lapua and Norma cases I have never had it catch on any burrs. I spoke to my gunsmith about this and he told me they were drilled. He found that you only occasionally find a little burr. I compare this with Remington or Federal where you always find a burr and often they are quite large.
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 8:10 pm

I always run mine threw a mandrel or at least neck size and shoot the cases to fireform with a weak load before doing the prep work :drinks:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition