Simplex master vs turret

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Simplex master vs turret

Post by LikeAntiques » 12 Jan 2019, 10:54 pm

I'm looking to get a press. Just wondering what people thoughts are of Simplex master press vs Simplex turret. It looks like the dies are different for the two presses, so could you provide feedback please.

Cheers!
LikeAntiques
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Simplex master vs turret

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Jan 2019, 11:22 pm

Simplex make solid gear on the whole, but the Simplex master and the Super-Simplex are 2 very different beasts.

Simplex Master uses the de-facto standard size of dies (7/8" x 14??), and are an O-frame press (very strong)

Super-Simplex (you can get 3-hole and 6-hole turrets for them) uses a smaller size of die (5/8"??), which isnt up for re-sizing most brass.
Most of the Super-Simplex Full-Length sizing dies are used in a vise; as the press isnt strong enough to work the case.

If you are looking to buy a new press, and have to choose between the two, I'd suggest the Simplex Master; to give yourself more options for dies, and to be able to FL size on the press. However, I suspect there are better value-for money presses from Lee, RCBS, or Hornady. These other brands have options like quick-change collets, which make it a lot quicker to set your die up, and then swap it out when needed.

Rebel Gun Works seem to stock pretty comprehensive supplies of Super Simplex gear; if you choose that option.
I reloaded a lot of ammo on a Super Simplex in my youth, but I dont miss the freaking tiresome job of Full-Length sizing in a vise.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 11:49 pm

Dam great explanation there from Rod... :thumbsup:

Although, I only have hands on experience with a Simplex 3 hole turret...

And really...i love it for what it is :clap: ...so if low-mild loads is your thing where only neck sizing is necessary, the turret is a cracker--like say for a Martini action chambered in .222 Rimmed where minimum loads are almost mandatory... :thumbsup:

However for modern day reloading where FL Sizing may be required regularly, as Rod says, more modern/other styles of presses may be the go...that is, unless its all about antiques of course :thumbsup:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 13 Jan 2019, 6:01 am

Mate I have a simplex master. It takes standard dies, I use Redding mainly.
Picked it up second hand and it does the job nicely. No doubt there is better available, nevertheless the Simplex is as strong as an ox and as the name suggests, very simple to operate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by LikeAntiques » 13 Jan 2019, 11:15 am

Thank you Gentlemen. The reason I want to go Simplex is to support an Aussie made product. Looks like the Simplex Master is the way to go.

Second question. Is there a book or internet location that has the reasonably current reload data (read - using currently available powders) for Aussie sized cartridges? I'm talking 303-25, 303-22, 222rim, 7.7-54, etc?

Cheers
LikeAntiques
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

I dont load for most of those cartridges so cant help but for one exception...but someone will chime in on the rest im sure... ;)

For 222 Rimmed just use normal 222 load data.
The case is the same but with a rim, so same dies too, just need a different shell holder (from memory for a 357 Mag i think-can check if you need me to).

With the 222 Rimmed, as normal just start the loads low & work up, but dont bother loading a full spectrum of cartridges as listed for 222-rather just load them to around mid way through the listed data because it will get to the point where case wont extract...so have a cleaning rod with you :)
I rekon its best to take the press & seater die with pre-charged cases for this cartridge & seat bullets as you need em/shoot em...

The extraction mechanism on the martini's is (generally) not strong enough to extract a case thats been reasonably worked. Thats my experience with mine, & also what ive read here & there..

If you're going to/or already load for one, hope im not telling you what you already know. :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gunnnie » 13 Jan 2019, 7:50 pm

Nothing wrong with Simplex gear. Have a 3 & a 6-turret Super Simplex as well as a Master Simplex turret. Have loaded a lot of ammo on the SS over the past 20yrs. Had a Simplex Master O-frame back in the early 80's and still regret selling it back in '89.

AR2207 & 50gn pills are a good combo in the 222Rimmed in a Martini Cadet. Don't push hot loads in the Cadet as you'll run into extraction problems. Better to keep moderate load/pressure levels while looking for an accuracy node.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

I own and use a simplex super and would own the master any day :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jan 2019, 8:08 pm

marksman wrote:I own and use a simplex super and would own the master any day :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yep my first press as a kid was the Super Simplex 6 head turret, was a great little press but no longer own it but have the Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by DATFISH » 30 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm

I have both and concur with what the others have said.

In the end I would go with a Master O and be done with it.

Super Simplex is good for a limited purpose but the Master O will do it all.
The points on FL resizing brass with the Super Simplex are spot on.

In the end it depends on what you want it for now and what you foresee you will need it for in the future.
If you neck size only in a couple of calibres only, the Super Simplex will suffice but if if looking for more flexibility and easier setup with multiple standard dies dies the Master O is the way to go. eg I use my Super simplex for volume hunting loads .223 only. Everything else ( 6.5 X55, 223 target, 30/30 and 270) is on Master O

Good Luck
DATFISH
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 May 2019, 8:27 am

LikeAntiques wrote:Thank you Gentlemen. The reason I want to go Simplex is to support an Aussie made product. Looks like the Simplex Master is the way to go.

Second question. Is there a book or internet location that has the reasonably current reload data (read - using currently available powders) for Aussie sized cartridges? I'm talking 303-25, 303-22, 222rim, 7.7-54, etc?

Cheers

Most can be found in older or current ADI data.
As stated earlier 222rim use 222 data, similarly for 7.7-54 use 303 data.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 03 Jul 2019, 3:53 pm

Is Simplex still in business? Their website looks to be out of action. I have the Super Simplex but would be interested in selling it and swapping it for a Master Simplex so I can do full length resizing but I'm not sure if Simplex is still manufacturing or selling their presses. Anyone know? I phoned them and got an answering machine
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 03 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

A question kind of related to this (I have a Simplex turret press so can't full length resize unless I get the full length die for the vice) is if I'm reloading .222 ammo for a bolt action will I ever need to full length resize rather than just neck resize?

Also, is the simplex vice full length die any good? ie is this simplex full length die accurate?
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2019, 11:04 pm

I have a Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D

Load data here.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 04 Jul 2019, 4:26 am

gordicans wrote:A question kind of related to this (I have a Simplex turret press so can't full length resize unless I get the full length die for the vice) is if I'm reloading .222 ammo for a bolt action will I ever need to full length resize rather than just neck resize?

Also, is the simplex vice full length die any good? ie is this simplex full length die accurate?

OK, the simple answer is 'yes'. Basically, depending on what your load pressure/velocities are the cases will continue to stretch until a point is reached where the case won't chamber easily. When this happens, full length resizing returns the case dimensions back to specs. The case will then drop into the chamber freely allowing the bolt to close easily.

Now, if you have a bolt actioned rifle which has a 'match grade chamber' which is a tighter tolerance than the usual off the shelf factory rifle, the cases don't stretch/grow as much. In which case the need to full length re-size will be nowhere near as frequent.

The SS FLS vice dies are fine and function exactly as designed. I use them for case forming 17-222rimmed & 20-222rimmed. They are a cheaper alternative to 7/8thx14 forming dies. The big ticket is to ensure you use a good case lubricant and avoid putting any on the neck/shoulder region of the case. As for accurate, well I haven't had any issues with cases formed/FLS'ed through them.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Jul 2019, 11:53 am

How often do you blokes F.L.S. cases? I was taught just to resize neck and shoulder only, assuming the cases reused and fired in the same rifle. The reason being F.L.S. overworked the brass and shortened case life..
Great to see someone supporting Aussie business too.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jul 2019, 2:16 pm

RoginaJack,
I used to read the old shooting journos who said that about neck sizing. However, my 223 used max loads and had relatively good case life, so different rifles might give different case life, depending on whether the chamber is of maximum or minimum dimensions as gunnie says, para. 2. You just might have to try it and see :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jul 2019, 6:53 pm

RoginaJack wrote:How often do you blokes F.L.S. cases? I was taught just to resize neck and shoulder only, assuming the cases reused and fired in the same rifle. The reason being F.L.S. overworked the brass and shortened case life..
Great to see someone supporting Aussie business too.

Mate I FLS every 5th reload with my .308. Have found the odd round was getting a little tight after 5 so that’s what I do. Has worked out ok so far.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 04 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm

It depends on the case/load. Some of my reloads, 32-20 for example, have been reloaded 14 times, no FLS! But my 303 reloads for one of my rifles need to be run through the FLS die after the 5th-6th reload as they can sometimes become a tad tight to chamber.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jul 2019, 7:21 pm

gordicans wrote:Is Simplex still in business? Their website looks to be out of action. I have the Super Simplex but would be interested in selling it and swapping it for a Master Simplex so I can do full length resizing but I'm not sure if Simplex is still manufacturing or selling their presses. Anyone know? I phoned them and got an answering machine

I was talking with them today. The site is going to a new host, hence the temporary unavailability. However the new site will no longer have an online shop. You will need to ring and order over the phone. Which you can still do at the moment.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gordicans » 04 Jul 2019, 9:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have a Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D

Load data here.

Only problem is that as far as I can see you can't buy one unless you get a second handy ... is Simplex no longer selling this kit?
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

gordicans wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I have a Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D

Load data here.

Only problem is that as far as I can see you can't buy one unless you get a second handy ... is Simplex no longer selling this kit?

You can ring them on 0414859636
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2019, 10:34 pm

Yeah, definately still operating.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Jul 2019, 1:38 am

gordicans wrote:A question kind of related to this (I have a Simplex turret press so can't full length resize unless I get the full length die for the vice) is if I'm reloading .222 ammo for a bolt action will I ever need to full length resize rather than just neck resize?

Yes you'll likely need to FL size, but if you keep the loads down at the low end, you'll find you might get away without FL sizing.

I find with 222 Rimmed keeping brass trimmed & using min loads that FL Sizing is very rarely necessary.
My old man shot 222 & 22-250 only neck sizing with a simplex turret...he did it finding accuracy at low end of load data.

As for the vice FL die...yes the die should be accurate--i see no reason why it would be worse than any 'normal' FL die being forced in by a ram...but it is a pain to use...

Set up some covers on the vice jaws so you dont emboss any brass or damage anything, & be careful extracting the case from the die.

Do you have the 222 simplex dies already or have to buy them...?
I may have some laying around somewhere that may be of use to you...?? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 08 Jul 2019, 10:54 am

Many thanks Stix, I ordered a full length 222 Simplex die the other day. Was cheap as chips
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2019, 3:19 pm

No worries gordicans...

After a few FL sizing sessions on the vice, you might see how comparatively cheap an O frame press is too... :)
Think i sized 3 cases in the vice before i took the frustration out on my credit card & bought a press...

But keep the 222 loads down low & hopefully you'll be ok & not really have to use the vice often at all.. :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition