Simplex master vs turret

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Simplex master vs turret

Post by gunnnie » 04 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm

It depends on the case/load. Some of my reloads, 32-20 for example, have been reloaded 14 times, no FLS! But my 303 reloads for one of my rifles need to be run through the FLS die after the 5th-6th reload as they can sometimes become a tad tight to chamber.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jul 2019, 7:21 pm

gordicans wrote:Is Simplex still in business? Their website looks to be out of action. I have the Super Simplex but would be interested in selling it and swapping it for a Master Simplex so I can do full length resizing but I'm not sure if Simplex is still manufacturing or selling their presses. Anyone know? I phoned them and got an answering machine

I was talking with them today. The site is going to a new host, hence the temporary unavailability. However the new site will no longer have an online shop. You will need to ring and order over the phone. Which you can still do at the moment.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gordicans » 04 Jul 2019, 9:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have a Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D

Load data here.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/

Only problem is that as far as I can see you can't buy one unless you get a second handy ... is Simplex no longer selling this kit?
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

gordicans wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I have a Simplex Master press and love it, a nice solid bit of kit and makes the RCBS Rockchucker look like a kids toy :D

Load data here.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/

Only problem is that as far as I can see you can't buy one unless you get a second handy ... is Simplex no longer selling this kit?

You can ring them on 0414859636
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2019, 10:34 pm

Yeah, definately still operating.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Jul 2019, 1:38 am

gordicans wrote:A question kind of related to this (I have a Simplex turret press so can't full length resize unless I get the full length die for the vice) is if I'm reloading .222 ammo for a bolt action will I ever need to full length resize rather than just neck resize?

Also, is the simplex vice full length die any good? ie is this simplex full length die accurate?

Yes you'll likely need to FL size, but if you keep the loads down at the low end, you'll find you might get away without FL sizing.

I find with 222 Rimmed keeping brass trimmed & using min loads that FL Sizing is very rarely necessary.
My old man shot 222 & 22-250 only neck sizing with a simplex turret...he did it finding accuracy at low end of load data.

As for the vice FL die...yes the die should be accurate--i see no reason why it would be worse than any 'normal' FL die being forced in by a ram...but it is a pain to use...

Set up some covers on the vice jaws so you dont emboss any brass or damage anything, & be careful extracting the case from the die.

Do you have the 222 simplex dies already or have to buy them...?
I may have some laying around somewhere that may be of use to you...?? :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 08 Jul 2019, 10:54 am

Many thanks Stix, I ordered a full length 222 Simplex die the other day. Was cheap as chips
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2019, 3:19 pm

No worries gordicans...

After a few FL sizing sessions on the vice, you might see how comparatively cheap an O frame press is too... :)
Think i sized 3 cases in the vice before i took the frustration out on my credit card & bought a press...

But keep the 222 loads down low & hopefully you'll be ok & not really have to use the vice often at all.. :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition