Reduced loads using AR2206H

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reduced loads using AR2206H

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 8:58 am

G’day Gents

I recently read an article about reduced loads. Obviously they talked about Trailboss, but also spoke about using AR2206H. They gave a start load which is calculated as a percentage of the maximum load.
Has anyone tried this or doing this now?
Would be interested in hearing the results.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Reduced loads using AR2206H

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2019, 9:29 am

Yes - around 60-70% of your max listed load is a good place to start - try have a dig around online to get an idea what others are doing for your specific use-case. I've found 06 to be more position sensitive than say 07 (and faster). When you do run your tests, experiment with and without tilting your barrel in the air prior to each shot (to get the powder back onto the primer). What case/pill are you targeting?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Jan 2019, 9:45 am

I've never tried it because I've been busy finding the most accurate load for my .223, but I have read of others using a filler to get around the problem of keeping a low power load in place inside the case.

Perhaps someone familiar with the practice can correct me if I'm talking out my bum, but I think polyester fibre is one thing used.

I imagine the charge is loaded and while vertical, enough fluff is poked in and the pill seated.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Jan 2019, 10:20 am

Gaznazdiak,

The mate who loaded up rounds for the .45-90 for me, used 'medical grade'(??) packing beans.
He loaded up the rounds with a charge of AR2206H (I think), but the amount of powder in that huge shell was tiny.
Hence the packing bean jammed in front of the powder.

Pretty sure they are made of wheat, so if they burn, they'd turn to ash.

I'd be a bit worried using polyester, in case they start to melt while in a hot barrel..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Jan 2019, 10:55 am

The possibility of combustion residue struck me when I read it too Rod, but there are other counterintuitive things I've learned about shooting, and I was a total neophyte at the reloading voodoo at the time and just soaking it all in.

I'm fairly sure it was a member that mentioned it on this forum. :unknown:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Jan 2019, 10:59 am

Just did what I should have and spent 2 minutes checking :roll:

It was Dacron, not polyester, but I still can't understand the lack of unwanted residue.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2726
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 12:16 pm

in2anity wrote:Yes - around 60-70% of your max listed load is a good place to start - try have a dig around online to get an idea what others are doing for your specific use-case. I've found 06 to be more position sensitive than say 07 (and faster). When you do run your tests, experiment with and without tilting your barrel in the air prior to each shot (to get the powder back onto the primer). What case/pill are you targeting?

Mate I am looking at some 130gn HP which I have an abu dance of, for use out of my .308.
Thinking this may be a viable option instead of buying a 300AAC which I was thinking of doing.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2019, 12:23 pm

JimTom wrote:
in2anity wrote:Yes - around 60-70% of your max listed load is a good place to start - try have a dig around online to get an idea what others are doing for your specific use-case. I've found 06 to be more position sensitive than say 07 (and faster). When you do run your tests, experiment with and without tilting your barrel in the air prior to each shot (to get the powder back onto the primer). What case/pill are you targeting?

Mate I am looking at some 130gn HP which I have an abu dance of, for use out of my .308.
Thinking this may be a viable option instead of buying a 300AAC which I was thinking of doing.

I was experimenting recently in my 308 with just shy of a full case of TB under a 150gr plated pill - 14.5gr to be precise. I was too lazy to chrono it but from the report I’d say it was well over 1300fps. It was also extremely accurate. If it’s an option, IMO this is a better option than going down the filler path...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 12:26 pm

Thanks mate, sounds like Trailboss is the go.
Will give that a try.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Jan 2019, 12:27 pm

I'd stick with tb in a bottle neck case
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 12:35 pm

Thanks Pete. Sounds like prudent advice.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2019, 1:11 pm

This is traight out of the ADI manual. Otherwise use Trail boss. Some shotgun powders can be used but quality reloading data can be difficult to get.

Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG
Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 1:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:This is traight out of the ADI manual. Otherwise use Trail boss. Some shotgun powders can be used but quality reloading data can be difficult to get.

Thanks Oldbloke. I reckon I read it in the latest shooting magazine but good to know it’s listed in the ADI manual. I wasn’t smart enough to look there. Have you tried it mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Jan 2019, 2:45 pm

Good find Oldbloke :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2019, 3:31 pm

JimTom wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:This is traight out of the ADI manual. Otherwise use Trail boss. Some shotgun powders can be used but quality reloading data can be difficult to get.

Thanks Oldbloke. I reckon I read it in the latest shooting magazine but good to know it’s listed in the ADI manual. I wasn’t smart enough to look there. Have you tried it mate?

Personally, I use shotgun powder (because I have heaps of it) for cast bullets in my 30-06 and hornet loads in my 223. But trail boss is very popular.

2206H is very versatile, load anything from hornet to 30-06. Check the ADI manual. If I had my time again I would load everything with it.

Using just 1 powder ensured less waist and no mix ups
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2019, 4:20 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day Gents

I recently read an article about reduced loads. Obviously they talked about Trailboss, but also spoke about using AR2206H. They gave a start load which is calculated as a percentage of the maximum load.

I do load reduced loads with AR2206H but I don't worry about any minimums. You reach a level very quickly though where Trailboss is a better choice.
In 8x57mm with 180gn bullets a full charge is around 48gn and makes about 2700fps. 20gn of AR2206H makes 1050fps, but 14gn of Trailboss makes 1400fps. Trailboss has a top limit though where increasing the charge makes no more velocity. If you want to be in that window of "slightly reduced" loads then AR2206H works better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 5:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:G’day Gents

I do load reduced loads with AR2206H but I don't worry about any minimums. You reach a level very quickly though where Trailboss is a better choice.
In 8x57mm with 180gn bullets a full charge is around 48gn and makes about 2700fps. 20gn of AR2206H makes 1050fps, but 14gn of Trailboss makes 1400fps. Trailboss has a top limit though where increasing the charge makes no more velocity. If you want to be in that window of "slightly reduced" loads then AR2206H works better.

Thanks mate. Great info.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 5:08 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied. I will give it a try over the coming weeks and post results here.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition