Cartridge shelf life

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cartridge shelf life

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

I'm a little worried about a batch of cartridges that I have loaded up ready to trial, they have been sitting in the shed for about 2 months and have been exposed to two "heat waves" I have checked a few bits and pieces inside my ammo chest and they have been getting up to 45 deg. C.

Will these cartridges still be good for working up my load or are they likely to give different pressures than cartridges freshly loaded from a new tub of powder that has been stored in a controlled environment?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Cartridge shelf life

Post by Lorgar » 28 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm

Can't say for 45c but it regularly gets to 38c - 40c at my place. The safe is inside but still subject to those temperatures.

I have about 200 cartridges I've been going through over the last 6 months, have about 40 left or so... Over that time they'll have been at anywhere between 8-9c to 40c

This is 1 load, not batches for testing, but I haven't noticed any decline in accuracy. Also no change in POI and I haven't re-sighted my rifle in that time either.

I wouldn't be using them scorching hot out of the safe, but outside of that I think you're right... Based on my experience anyway.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chookah » 29 Jan 2014, 8:27 am

Just doing a bit of reasoning here rather than talking from experience, but by the time factory ammo is made, stored, shipped to retailer, waits, is sold and finally shot that's gotta be many months at least, a year in some case?

Probably even more time for powder as it has to go through the same and still be reloaded before use.

2 months shouldn't be anything I'd think.
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 01 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

I've used factory ammo many decades old,stored God knows where,no problems. If you have loaded with ADI powders,they are made to Mil spec

and designed to be stored and used in the harshest environments.

Be safe,BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

Most ammo will last many years. (more than 25) Having said that. High temperature is best avoided as it speeds up the aging process of the powder. And some powders are better than others. I have a large can of ADI shot gun powder I am still using and must be over 20 yrs old and stored in the shed, no probs yet.
Powders are generally very stable for the obvious safety reasons.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by howtow » 02 Feb 2014, 8:55 am

I've shot 2-3 year old ammo also stored in a shed with no problems that I could see.
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ozfisher71 » 04 Feb 2014, 10:12 pm

I recently used some centrefire ammunition that I purchased at Kmart in the eighties .
It had been exposed to extreme heat, cold & humidity as well as travelling thousands miles around Australia. It still shot like fresh ammunition. I believe keep it dry is all you need to worry about.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 05 Feb 2014, 7:48 am

ozfisher71 wrote:I recently used some centrefire ammunition that I purchased at Kmart in the eighties .

Man, you've been hanging on to that for a while.

Less shopping, more shooting :P

:lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ozfisher71 » 07 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

When you buy a pallet load it tends to last a while.
I am still using .22 Winchester Wildcat from when Kmart called it quits and only last week had the first misfire.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 08 Feb 2014, 8:25 pm

ozfisher71 wrote:I am still using .22 Winchester Wildcat from when Kmart called it quits and only last week had the first misfire.

Ah the good old days...
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 09 Feb 2014, 7:48 am

Rocker wrote:
ozfisher71 wrote:I am still using .22 Winchester Wildcat from when Kmart called it quits and only last week had the first misfire.

Ah the good old days...

And when you could ring up the Mail Order Gun Shop and get everything you wanted delivered to your door by the Postman.

The only thing I would worry about ammo being stored for many years is if it showed signs of corrosion as in the bullet can become welded (stuck) to the inside of the neck and cause over pressure signs. Easily fixed if you have reloading dies by giving the bullet a few thou bump back to break that seal in the neck. Other than that there should be no internal problems.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 09 Feb 2014, 10:29 am

Not the same thing but along the same train of thought, you read about mines being abandoned in deserts and the like for decades which still explode.

Surly modern powder and primers can hold up to two months of heat?

Bit of a segue there, dunno if that's a helpful thought of completely useless :lol:
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 1:50 am

The afghanis still use ammo from around ww1 so it should be all good. Although from a mates experience they tend to lose a bit of power with age. That and summer there is a bit hotter...
Outnumbered? More like target rich environment.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gVale » 10 Feb 2014, 10:27 am

I've gone through a bit of hand-me-down ammo from some family rifles that weren't getting used any more.

Would have been 4-5 years by now with no problem.
gVale
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition