Load Development Fail

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Load Development Fail

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

I had a working load for my Glock that cycled fine but shot high and was a little hot so I reduced from 3.6gr to 3.2gr. That load still shot a little high but cycled the action well and didn't show any pressure signs. A smart person would have quit while they were ahead but I was determined to get the point of aim dead on so I dropped the load to 3gr, won't cycle the action.

So now I have 50 rounds to pull apart :evil:

.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Load Development Fail

Post by Chronos » 30 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

Just shoot them off during practice, its goid to add one prr mag as a clearing drill

single action glock. LOL

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jan 2014, 9:51 am

Chronos wrote:Just shoot them off during practice, its goid to add one prr mag as a clearing drill

single action glock. LOL

Chronos

Haha yeah I got plenty of practice at that shooting off the ones I did
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 30 Jan 2014, 10:41 am

Everyone does a dud batch they have to pull once :D

Part of the learning curve.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 30 Jan 2014, 11:15 am

Done that before. Dam trailboss!!
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Vati » 30 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

I had the same bullet putter for my rifle stuff.

Only lasted about 80-90 rounds and the rim of the shell holder which fits into the base of the brass shore off and became useless :(
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm

Mine did the same.

I said to the bloke at the shop I has some doubts over plastic hammer style puller, he told me he's had his for 20 years and has done thousands of rounds with it.

I got about 130 or so out of mine.

Liar! :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jan 2014, 3:55 pm

Vati wrote:I had the same bullet putter for my rifle stuff.

Only lasted about 80-90 rounds and the rim of the shell holder which fits into the base of the brass shore off and became useless :(

That sucks for you guys. I've had mine for over 2 years and pulled probably around 250-300 rounds at this stage with no problems
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
Vati wrote:I had the same bullet putter for my rifle stuff.

That sucks for you guys. I've had mine for over 2 years and pulled probably around 250-300 rounds at this stage with no problems

Same, I got mine in 2009 and its done hundreds if rounds I suppose. Mine is an RCBS and I always tighten the cap fairly tight and hit it on something heavy like the end of a timber beam. It does have done marks on the collet where the rim sits but still going strong.

Hope I haven't just jinxed myself. Lol

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 02 Feb 2014, 3:33 pm

Chronos wrote:Hope I haven't just jinxed myself. Lol

Fingers crossed for you. All I know is mine was RCBS too and it was a dud :|
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by laflamme » 03 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

anything made out of plastic thats essentially hollow that you intentionally beat against a solid object repeatedly is not going to last forever. To the lucky ones good on you for getting yours to work this long.
laflamme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Guliver » 04 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

laflamme wrote:anything made out of plastic thats essentially hollow that you intentionally beat against a solid object repeatedly is not going to last forever. To the lucky ones good on you for getting yours to work this long.

I'm sure if the correct plastic was used it could last a lifetime, I have a small plastic mallet I bought when I started my apprenticeship and I still using it almost fifty years later.

This style.

I also have some plastic handled Stanley chisels that look none the worse for wear after years of use.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm

Guliver wrote:
laflamme wrote:anything made out of plastic thats essentially hollow that you intentionally beat against a solid object repeatedly is not going to last forever. To the lucky ones good on you for getting yours to work this long.

I'm sure if the correct plastic was used it could last a lifetime, I have a small plastic mallet I bought when I started my apprenticeship and I still using it almost fifty years later.

Some people actually use their tools, replacement heads are available for a reason. Especially if the plastic is hit against metal.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Guliver » 04 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

Warrigul wrote:Some people actually use their tools,

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to make of your statement, I guess to make such a statement your familiar with how I use my tools. Or rather it sounds like some kind of personal attack.

Plastic has come a long way https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bull ... 8Qea_oCQBw
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

Guliver wrote:
Warrigul wrote:Some people actually use their tools,

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to make of your statement, I guess to make such a statement your familiar with how I use my tools. Or rather it sounds like some kind of personal attack.

Plastic has come a long way https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bull ... 8Qea_oCQBw

You can take it any way you want to, just because you are soft on your gear doesn't mean the majority of people are and it isn't a good example.

I don't know which trade you are in to but most soft faced hammers I have ever seen belonging to fitters/machinists/mechanics have some marring to the faces and most have had the heads/faces replaced at some stage.

I have a deadblow(the original number is unreadable but it is similar in size to the 701) a 701 and a 501- they have all had at least two sets of faces(various Nylons, Poly, etc etc etc) over 30 odd years, the 701 three weeks ago.

I think I remember the instruction on my inertial puller saying to not strike against metal or sharp surfaces but I am unsure as I only used it a few times six years ago then gave away using it in favour of a press mounted unit. I know of two that have failed but that said I also know fo many that have been going for years.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bourt » 05 Feb 2014, 7:47 am

If I read the guys right who had them wear out they're talking about the metal shell holders in the hammers, not the plastic hammers themselves...?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition