Lee Classic Reloader for 243, and powder advice

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee Classic Reloader for 243, and powder advice

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 5:21 pm

marksman wrote:years ago I've used them myself and had bolts that would not open without a hammer

Wrong dipper, wrong powder, or wrong technique. I've never seen any Lee Loader data go anywhere close to maximum levels, and certainly not into pressure sign territory.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 28 Feb 2019, 5:00 pm

My two cents: I’ve been shooting a while but always shot factory. reloaded at a mates every now and then and learnt of him. Some bits I kept in the brain bank others parts I didn’t. I recently got setup at home in the last few weeks and I was dead keen on getting electronic scales for piece of mind. The manual ones or what ever they are called I just couldn’t get my head around them being more acurate then electronic as everything is electronic these days being 28 And growing up with the change of technology ect. Anyways once someone showed me and I learnt how to use the Manual scales I didn’t even bother buying or looking into getting electronic ones they are deadset that good. Just for reference I have cheap lee ones and some pacific ones. It was Handy to check across both when I was learning.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2019, 10:56 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Hello Everyone,
Just giving you all the heads up that I'm a newbie in the sport of shooting, so I wanted to get your advice on powders.

I've wanted to get into reloading, so I've decided to start at the very beginning with a Lee Classic Reloader for 243.

It arrived in the mail today when I read through the powder loads when using the measure scoop provided. It states that for an 87 grain projectile, you should use Ramshot Hunter Powder. I've looked online and it doesnt appear to be available here in AUS.

Just wondering if there is an equivalent powder here in Australia which I could use as I would prefer to start out using the measure. Just would feel more comfortable at this point using the scoop instead of weighing it with scales.

Let's be clear fatty is not aiming to do long distance competition here. Seemed to me he wants to just dip his toe into the pool. To give it a go he just needs the Lee loader and a beam balance scales. Any Brand will do the job.

if later he gets keen than buy the additional gear he needs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Feb 2019, 11:14 pm

For what it’s worth - I’ve got the hornady electronic scales with the trickled built in and thus far - it’s been absolutely brilliant.
Here are accompanying weights to calibrate - which takes a minute.

You can set speeds for powder dispensing, and different trickle speeds to creep up on exact weights - it almost always reads a fraction over - but beeps and warns you when .1 over. I just set it .5 gns lighter than what I know it will spit out.

I had some manual scales before this and it was just painful for getting consistently within .2gns - the elecs just make things easier for me.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2019, 2:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Let's be clear fatty is not aiming to do long distance competition here. Seemed to me he wants to just dip his toe into the pool. To give it a go he just needs the Lee loader and a beam balance scales. Any Brand will do the job.

Doesn't even need scales.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 01 Mar 2019, 3:31 pm

Beam scales was the word I was looking for in my post lol- I was impressed with how acurate they were once I learnt how to use them. :drinks:
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Mar 2019, 9:34 pm

You'll definitely want a beam scale and a full set of Lee scoops when you decide to work a load up for best consistency / accuracy.

I'm using 2209 in my .243 loads, it gives me good results and doesn't leave much empty space,
100 grain game king projectiles and a powder charge that is perfect for my rifle ... no point me sharing that, it might not be a safe load in your rifle.

I weigh every charge with my beam scale. I use a scoop that comes close to holding my desired weight of powder and use a home made powder trickler to get the weight just right.

You'll find that with correct method of dipping your scoop you'll get extremely consistent measures with those Lee dippers.

Here's a great video on the correct way to use those little scoops. https://youtu.be/d-dzMBwhq5Y

:thumbsup:
mobile 045.jpg
mobile 045.jpg (236.59 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Mar 2019, 2:16 am

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Let's be clear fatty is not aiming to do long distance competition here. Seemed to me he wants to just dip his toe into the pool. To give it a go he just needs the Lee loader and a beam balance scales. Any Brand will do the job.

Doesn't even need scales.

Agree doesn't need them but much better to have some. I loaded my 30-30 with only scoops.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Mar 2019, 8:56 pm

In the Tikka 243Win Lite I use ADI 2208 & 75gr Sierra HP. These two powders, ADI 2208 & ADI 2209 should give you a good starting point.

Highest velocity isn't necessarily the best; accuracy plays a big part too. This can only be reached by testing various loads.

if you'r using 2213 being a slow burning powder,and only with the heavier projectiles, I'd think about using a magnum primer with this combo.,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Mar 2019, 9:43 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:You'll definitely want a beam scale and a full set of Lee scoops when you decide to work a load up for best consistency / accuracy.

I'm using 2209 in my .243 loads, it gives me good results and doesn't leave much empty space,
100 grain game king projectiles and a powder charge that is perfect for my rifle ... no point me sharing that, it might not be a safe load in your rifle

How fast are you shooting your Game Kings?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Mar 2019, 11:18 am

SCJ429 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:You'll definitely want a beam scale and a full set of Lee scoops when you decide to work a load up for best consistency / accuracy.

100 grain game king projectiles and a powder charge that is perfect for my rifle ... no point me sharing that, it might not be a safe load in your rifle

How fast are you shooting your Game Kings?

Goingfor the old back calculation hey :lol:

To be perfectly honest my current. 243 load isn't realy that hot but it's right on the sweet spot for consistency with my rifle

I'm 2850fps with the 100grain Gameking

The reson for me being reluctant to share powder charge measurements is there's been serious safety concerns in the past with newbys looking for "good load recipes" so they can attempt to skip the all important load development routine with their own firearm.

Skipping straight to the maximum charge in reloading books or copying someone else's load and potentially going way beyond "max load" can be a recipe for disaster. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Mar 2019, 11:59 am

No, you said you were using 2209 and there wasn't much empty space in the case. You should be able to jam over 50 grains of powder into the case to fill it up and you should be able to get those projectile running at 3400 fps or more. I am getting 3300 out of a 107 SMK.

I wasn't interested in trying to replicate your load, just interested in how fast other people are running a heavy pill using 2209. I am currently using 2225. Might give 2209 a run and see what it can do.

I am also not telling you to try 50 grains of 2225 under a 107 SMK, you should as you said, work up a load in your own rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Mar 2019, 1:30 pm

My Win .243 cases only hold 43 grains of 2209 full to top fo the neck with a drop tube.... that's one seriously compressed load.
My Rem brass holds even less.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 03 Mar 2019, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Mar 2019, 2:00 pm

That is very strange, with Lapua brass, 2209 and using a long drop tube an a bit of tapping I can seat a 107 SMK without compressing the powder with a 51.5 grain load.

Have you tried anything past your 2850 fps load? Were you concerned that you wouldn't find a node further up? I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but you have 20% of your case capacity unused. Guys shooting a 6BR Dasher are getting the same speed using loads a little over 30 grains. The mighty 243 has the case capacity to get the heavies speeding along.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Mar 2019, 2:12 pm

ADI list their bulkiest powder, 2225, having a maximum load of 49 grains for a 243. I cannot understand why you cannot get more than 43 grains of a far less bulky powder into yours.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Mar 2019, 2:34 pm

Whoops my bad, perhaps dementia is kicking in... my win brass is 53 full with a fire formed case.

Ok now youve squeezed it out of me ... im 38.5g of 2209 to give me that 2850fps

I've definitely found another sweet spot above 2850fps with 2209, if memory serves me correctly the next node was at 42.5 at somewhere around 3100 ? ( I'm having trouble finding my book at the moment )

I backed it off hoping to preserve barrel life and its way easier on the brass.

Noy you've got me searching for my book ... so much load data hiding there.

I'm definitely leaving heaps on the table as far as speed is concerned.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Mar 2019, 8:26 pm

I did the first part of a ladder test with 2209 only up to 40.3 grains which netted me 3070 fps. Still heaps to go, no signs of pressure. The early signs look better for Short Cut.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition