ooop's rookie mistake

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

ooop's rookie mistake

Post by marksman » 17 Feb 2019, 5:49 pm

I have been making some new 22 dasher cases and didn't think I needed to check the load for pressure as with my last lot I went half a grain over what blew this primer, we all know what an assumption is though, I should have known better

no damage done but I nearly needed a hammer to open the bolt
the only change was a new batch of cases
so the moral of the story is to check for pressure when you make a change in your reloads :thumbsup:
obviously these lapua cases are heavier
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: ooop's rookie mistake

Post by Bill » 17 Feb 2019, 5:53 pm

damn didnt take much, Ive done a bunch of loading recently with the grendel and normally Id throw caution to the wind and jam a few grains over lol, but not with a small case and small bolt lugs.....safety first always
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 17 Feb 2019, 10:37 pm

Good reminder marksman.

Did you/do you normslly weigh new cases to compare to old/existing ones...?

Id be interested to know all the details... :)
Such aa the difference in weight & capacity of the cases in each batch (just the median.. :) , & the difference in the load you come up with for the new batch, as opposed to the load for the current/previous batch....
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Feb 2019, 9:10 pm

I bet that primer pocket is a bit loose now. Do you know how fast it went?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Feb 2019, 11:40 pm

was it a hot load
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by marksman » 20 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

Stix I did not bother weighing the case's as I thought it would be good enough being a lapua case and that I have shot this load and higher with other cases before, I would be weighing the inside volume after this firing so I thought it would be ok as this load was mild in the cases I had already formed
this shows you need to check things again when there is a change

the primer falls out of this case now, you can see the gap, I didn't put it over the chrony but it was very accurate hitting the bull at 200 SCJ429

a very hot load apparently wrenchman :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

Ok...im with you marksman... :thumbsup:

Id still be interested to know the difference in case volume & the load between the 2 batches, if you can be bothered posting it...or even pm if its an issue.

Just for some perspective as to how close/ how far this mishap was to not happening.... :unknown:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition