Help with reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Help with reloading

Post by Corky » 01 Feb 2014, 9:46 am

G'day everyone,

Need some opinions and information for reloading as I'm new to it. I've just picked up the lee 50th anniversary single stage kit so I can start doing loads for my .308win, I've been trying to read up on case length, OAL, neck sizing etc and it's all starting to get a bit overwhelming.

Anyone that's loaded with the same kit and/or for a 308win that's got some good starter advice, I would greatly appreciate.

I've read that the max length for a spent cartridge is 2.015 most of my federal, hornady and Winchester are still under this limit after being f/l sized and de primed. So is it worth trimming down the neck?

I'll be mainly using 150, 165 and 180 grain projectiles. I know it's a lot of trial and error with powder weights and projectiles, but any helpful hints from experienced reloaders would be the push in the right direction I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help
Corky
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Help with reloading

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Feb 2014, 2:34 pm

I check all my 308 cases after each firing and if they've exceeded 2.005" I trim them back to that. You can let them get to 2.015" if you like as that is max cartridge length and they should still chamber reliably at that length.

The best advice I can give in regard to reloading is read your reloading manual and any instructions that came with your kit a few times until you understand what each operation does and why it's necessary and then post back with any specific things you don't understand as you'll get better info that way.

When doing load development I pick a powder that is suitable for the cartridge I'm using (ADI 2206H is good for 308) and then consult the powder manufacturer's load data and start with their bottom load for your projectile weight and make 5 rounds of that and then go up .5gr and make another 5 rounds and continue until you reach maximum load.

When testing your loads be mindful of high pressure signs like a hard to lift bolt, flattened or cratered primers etc
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 01 Feb 2014, 3:47 pm

I try to use reloads in batches and length check samples as they are used then use my Lee trimmer.I have a variation on Baldricks testing process,

I load 3 rds of each weight and shoot at a target to test the pressure and accuracy in one operation,saving time and components,the hottest load is

often not the most accurate,doesn't matter what the velocity is if you don't hit the target. The bullet weight you select is relative to what you want to shoot,

the 308/7.62 was designed around a 150gr projectile,but I've found 130gr Speer HPs dynamite on foxes,knocks 'em down,skins & cooks 'em in an instant

and mounts thier tail on yer aerial too!

Be safe,BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 01 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

When I started reloading last year (around May or so) it also became an overwhelming task at one point for me. I realised then that, the same as for playing golf, one tends to read up too much or listen too much to other's opinions and then try to make sense of it all at once. This is not going to happen, and only leads to confusion and heartache :mrgreen:

My advice: concentrate on the basics initially, focusing on safety at all times.
I am fortunate in having a friend who is an 'expert' in this game by virtue of his more than 10 years of experience as a mentor.

Case lengths will remain for quite some time under the max, so no use in cutting back on it - deburring from time to time is what I do, but I always closely monitor for any anomaly after each shot on the range and during case preparation and loading.

I also remain within the safe limits of the amount of propellant used, and religiously adhere to the min and max loads as dictated by (in my case) our Somchem tables.

Initially stick with one bullet size (in my case 165gr for a barrel twist of 1:12), and rather concentrate on best shooting practices during load batch development to ensure you start getting proper groupings - this is where the joy starts to set in! ;)

My .308 gives me super quality time, and the total reloading exercise to me is absolute QUALITY time I spend with myself - even my wife is starting to understand and respect this :lol:

I hope this may help - go easy on yourself - you will pick up on the other critical things as time goes by - ENJOY!!!!
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

bunnybuster wrote:I try to use reloads in batches and length check samples as they are used then use my Lee trimmer.I have a variation on Baldricks testing process,

I load 3 rds of each weight and shoot at a target to test the pressure and accuracy in one operation,saving time and components,the hottest load is

often not the most accurate,doesn't matter what the velocity is if you don't hit the target. The bullet weight you select is relative to what you want to shoot,

the 308/7.62 was designed around a 150gr projectile,but I've found 130gr Speer HPs dynamite on foxes,knocks 'em down,skins & cooks 'em in an instant

and mounts thier tail on yer aerial too!

Be safe,BB.

May have been a slight miscommunication there, I don't do separate testing for pressure I just meant it's good practice to check for high pressure signs when doing load development so you don't land yourself in a bad situation
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Corky » 01 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I've spent most of the day looking at different charts indicating loads and other factors, since I'm at work I'm getting paid to do it haha.

So tonight I'll be on the table, head down getting some reloads done. Thanks again for all ya help. Greatly appreciated, think the trimming of the cases was my main concern. Does anyone use the hornady die sets? When I was running a few loads through last night it was leaving a ring around the mid section of the case and I wasn't being scungy on the lubricant. Will this affect the integrity of the case?
Corky
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Corky » 01 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I check all my 308 cases after each firing and if they've exceeded 2.005" I trim them back to that. You can let them get to 2.015" if you like as that is max cartridge length and they should still chamber reliably at that

With adding the projectile, how deep do you seat yours? I'm using 180gr sp by hornady at the moment. These will hopefully be my hunting rounds after I get it all sorted and till I get my noslers
Corky
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Corky » 01 Feb 2014, 5:21 pm

Hennie Dreyer wrote:When I started reloading last year (around May or so) it also became an overwhelming task at one point for me. I realised then that, the same as for playing golf, one tends to read up too much or listen too much to other's opinions and then try to make sense of it all at once. This is not going to happen, and only leads to confusion and heartache :mrgreen:

My advice: concentrate on the basics initially, focusing on safety at all times.
I am fortunate in having a friend who is an 'expert' in this game by virtue of his more than 10 years of experience as a mentor.

Case lengths will remain for quite some time under the max, so no use in cutting back on it - deburring from time to time is what I do, but I always closely monitor for any anomaly after each shot on the range and during case preparation and loading.

I also remain within the safe limits of the amount of propellant used, and religiously adhere to the min and max loads as dictated by (in my case) our Somchem tables.

Initially stick with one bullet size (in my case 165gr for a barrel twist of 1:12), and rather concentrate on best shooting practices during load batch development to ensure you start getting proper groupings - this is where the joy starts to set in! ;)

My .308 gives me super quality time, and the total reloading exercise to me is absolute QUALITY time I spend with myself - even my wife is starting to understand and respect this :lol:

I hope this may help - go easy on yourself - you will pick up on the other critical things as time goes by - ENJOY!!!!

Haha my missus enjoys the time out in the range as well but she don't care about the reloading side of it just likes the "ting sound of hitting the metal thingys"
Corky
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

Corky wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:I check all my 308 cases after each firing and if they've exceeded 2.005" I trim them back to that. You can let them get to 2.015" if you like as that is max cartridge length and they should still chamber reliably at that

With adding the projectile, how deep do you seat yours? I'm using 180gr sp by hornady at the moment. These will hopefully be my hunting rounds after I get it all sorted and till I get my noslers

I measure I'll mine with a comparator that measure the case head to the bullets ogive (widest point) mine measure 2.330" at this point but I'm not sure about the overall length.

If I'm making rounds for hunting I just make sure the fit in the magazine, for target shooting I have them seated about 20 thou off touching the lands
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 01 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

Remember the "KISS" principle - "Keep it simple stupid!" Find just one or two favoured bullet weights and stick to them when you find accurate loads. They need not be hot ones either! Take accuracy over speed every time and bulk buy bullets when the faves are found.
Last edited by Noisydad on 02 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by 5Tom » 02 Feb 2014, 8:26 am

Be sure shooting technique is correct and your rifle is shooting well before reloading.

You'll be wasting a lot of trigger time and money shooting groups that are not a true representation of the rifles capabilities.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by laflamme » 02 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

Important hints you will only find out if you read the instructions sent with your lee gear. the lee powder thrower needs you to run like a hopper full of powder threw it before it becomes consistent. That is because you powder is coated in graphite which coats off the parts of the powder thrower. Alternatively you can simply buy a bit of graphite (powdered) and run it threw the machine. either way you can of course reuse the powder/graphite after you break in the powder thrower.

The auto prime, (the hand held) can only take certain kinds of primers. Read that bit carefully. Some primers go off easier than other primers. Priming is easily the most dangerous part of reloading. So only use recommended primers for your primeing machine and only prime with safety glasses on while pointing the machine away from you. Listen to all that jazz they tell you about having too many primers out at once.

Loading is not hard. there is no part that is physically hard to do. But you have to be sure not to get distracted. Dont worry about other things while you are reloading.

Have fun.
laflamme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Techc » 02 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

5Tom wrote:Be sure shooting technique is correct and your rifle is shooting well before reloading.

You'll be wasting a lot of trigger time and money shooting groups that are not a true representation of the rifles capabilities.

I'd have to cop to wasting about 100 rounds doing that.

I did some load testing too early in my shooting experience and was all over the place.

Tried the same loads again later when I was a better shooter and had a good rear bag setup and the same loads shot 10x better the second time around.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Corky » 02 Feb 2014, 3:50 pm

Hi guys another quick question.. What is meant by seating off the lands, been reading people's blogs and they have been saying they are seating 20 thousands off the lands
Corky
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Feb 2014, 8:18 pm

Corky wrote:Hi guys another quick question.. What is meant by seating off the lands, been reading people's blogs and they have been saying they are seating 20 thousands off the lands

The lands are the raised part of the rifling in your barrel. In this instance when people refer to the lands they're referring to the where the rifling starts in your barrel.

Common practice is to seat your projectiles so they're just shy of the lands. If you seat them to touch the lands you can run the risk of pressure spikes if one cartridge is seated too long.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

Corky wrote:Hi guys another quick question.. What is meant by seating off the lands, been reading people's blogs and they have been saying they are seating 20 thousands off the lands

The lands are the first part of your barrel that a bullet touches when fired/chambered.

Like Baldrick says, if your cartridge is too long and the bullet is jammed into the lands before firing it can create high-pressure issues as the bullet is initially prevented from moving forward until enough pressure builds to 'break the seal'.

On the flip side, if your cartridge is too short the bullet will 'jump' forward into the barrel which creates a brief period of instability. This can negatively effect accuracy.

Hence the sweet spot for cartridge length is 'just off the lands' so you avoid the jump without creating pressure issues.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by laflamme » 03 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

As to finding the distance from the lands in your rifle here is a whole post along with some very good video about how to do it. It is from another shooting forum that I post on so - HOLD YOUR FIRE - we are all in this together aye.

Good quality stuff there. It should answer all your questions.
laflamme
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 04 Feb 2014, 8:07 am

Direct link for the video.

Bullet Seating Depth Method.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt