Difference between gamekings and matchkings for targets?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Difference between gamekings and matchkings for targets?

Post by in2anity » 28 Feb 2019, 5:43 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It does sound like a lot of fun.
A .22 at 200m? = akin to dropping tiny artillery onto target lol

lol you certainly do need a lot of elevation :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 02 Mar 2019, 7:48 pm

Well I've got to say my 1st go at fly was a bloody heap of fun. They had had a good bit of rain in mackay so we had to go back to 300 instead of 500m as a gully prevents them from getting to 500 when its wet. Made for a bloody enjoyable morning though. Was blowing its ass off so thats the 1st time I've shot targets in wind so I enjoyed learning and the challenge. This was the best of my 3 targets
Attachments
20190302_100716-1512x2016.jpg
20190302_100716-1512x2016.jpg (694.92 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 12:04 am

did you make some Matchkings or went with the Gamekings
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Mar 2019, 6:35 am

duncan61 wrote:did you make some Matchkings or went with the Gamekings

Went with the gamekings, 300m was great as I could see the holes through my scope
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Mar 2019, 8:32 am

Well done, it is hard work when the wind is moving around. The Federal Cup is in Canberra next weekend if you want another go. Best to get a load developed with SMK, they are a very forgiving bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Mar 2019, 10:16 am

SCJ429 wrote:Well done, it is hard work when the wind is moving around. The Federal Cup is in Canberra next weekend if you want another go. Best to get a load developed with SMK, they are a very forgiving bullet.

We actaully slipped into town afterwards and bought some hornady 168 hpbt match as they were alot nicer to the wallet then the sierras. So will have a play with them next
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 1:28 pm

I am going to spend the afternoon prepping 7mm cases and loading 168 for the range
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 6:38 pm

IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG (834.87 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
The topic is about bullets so check this left to right the 168 Berger VLD, 100 sierra game king and 168 Matchking.the ogive on the VLD is considerably longer than the Matchking.will test them soon
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Mar 2019, 9:08 pm

duncan61 wrote:
IMG_0222.JPG
The topic is about bullets so check this left to right the 168 Berger VLD, 100 sierra game king and 168 Matchking.the ogive on the VLD is considerably longer than the Matchking.will test them soon

The shape of the vld looks kind of odd when you compare it to the other 2
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 14 Mar 2019, 2:47 pm

Give some Berger VLD Target a go. When you get them on song at 500m Fly you might get something that looks like this and win a "Screamer Patch".. :thumbsup:
Attachments
tn_Picture 006.jpg
tn_Picture 006.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Mar 2019, 6:36 pm

No screamer patches awarded last weekend, difficult conditions for everyone.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Mar 2019, 6:46 pm

Apollo wrote:Give some Berger VLD Target a go. When you get them on song at 500m Fly you might get something that looks like this and win a "Screamer Patch".. :thumbsup:

I don’t care what the circumstances, that’s some bloody good shooting, I’m impressed
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 7:18 pm

in2anity wrote:
Apollo wrote:Give some Berger VLD Target a go. When you get them on song at 500m Fly you might get something that looks like this and win a "Screamer Patch".. :thumbsup:

I don’t care what the circumstances, that’s some bloody good shooting, I’m impressed

That groups at 500m ? And you get a freakin screamer patch? I’d want a 12 gun salute and a queens hand shake !!! Impressive!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Mar 2019, 7:00 am

You get much more than a patch Tassie. You also get a polite round of applause from your fellow shooters. A sub 1.250 inch group is very difficult and almost impossible when the boil stops you seeing the fall of shot. The change from the splash plate to the target always gets me.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Mar 2019, 7:06 am

Mighty fine shooting the apollo
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Mar 2019, 2:34 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You get much more than a patch Tassie. You also get a polite round of applause from your fellow shooters. A sub 1.250 inch group is very difficult and almost impossible when the boil stops you seeing the fall of shot. The change from the splash plate to the target always gets me.

1.250 inch at 500m - that’s somewhere between 1/4 and 1/5 Moa? I doubt many if any, could shoot that at 50m, let alone at 100m let alone at 200m but 500? That’s as you’ve said - a little bewildering if I’m honest. Farken impressive.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 15 Mar 2019, 5:40 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:You get much more than a patch Tassie. You also get a polite round of applause from your fellow shooters. A sub 1.250 inch group is very difficult and almost impossible when the boil stops you seeing the fall of shot. The change from the splash plate to the target always gets me.

1.250 inch at 500m - that’s somewhere between 1/4 and 1/5 Moa? I doubt many if any, could shoot that at 50m, let alone at 100m let alone at 200m but 500? That’s as you’ve said - a little bewildering if I’m honest. Farken impressive.

Well, not only is this a test to see if my Login worked, seems it did . But also to fill in a bit more information. Yes, I was rather proud of the results since that was achieved a few years ago, before the Screamer Patch days, and it was my first ever competition shoot at a National Grade Match.

It was the 2nd Detail of the day just before lunch and the Mirage was very much in force so I couldn't actually see the Red Fly but I could see a dark patch (bullet holes) where I thought the Fly was located so I stayed on that line of sight and all I could see was that the dark patch was getting bigger at each shot. I was watching wind flags around me and tried to shoot under the same condition which was basically rapid fire for a single shot action.

The 5 shot group size was officially measured at 1.182" which was just outside the range record best. The target scored 58.01 points and was the best for the day out of 50 odd competitors in either Light or Heavy Gun... I shoot Light Gun.

At the time I had to wind the magnification of the 8-80x March X back to about 50x magnification otherwise the whole target was just a blur in the mirage.

The rifle in question is a Stolle Grizzly II with a 1.5oz Jewell Trigger and overall weight just under the maximum 17lbs allowed for Light Gun.

Shooting the warmer target first up early in the morning I had the scope would up to almost 80x and I had no trouble see each shot land BUT then for the first detail things went downhill with the breeze and mirage coming up.

So, that's my story but not the topic. Using an expensive high magnification scope in my view has it's advantages when conditions are better than good but is still an advantage when they go downhill but I was still able to use a bit more magnification than others. The chap that shot the detail before me with a Nightforce 12-42x had to wind his back to less than 35x due to mirage.

I have only ever shot F-Class once and I'll say it was a dammed sight easier scoring than shooting the Fly. It's easy to see a bloody big Black X Ring than it is to see a Red Fly on an Orange Target at 500 Metres...

Bullet wise as far as I have information from years gone past the Berger Target was about the tops, Copperhead Bullets are there as well and what I'm testing at present to tune but I can't achieve the 1/4 MOA or better I used to get with the old version Berger VLD's. I have shot Sierra Matchkings but they are way out of the target league accuracy in my view, they aren't consistent enough bullet to bullet to win target competitions.

I test my loads/bullets at home and I pick the best ideal conditions to test so I have an advantage over a lot of people. For me and a couple of mates that I have done load development for and they still come and test/fine tune at my 200 Metre Target we are not happy if all 5 shots for the test touch each other in a clover leaf group. Sure it doesn't happen all the time but that is a standard I set for shooting competition. Going on that standard both my Mate and his Son have both won 1st Place at a 500 Metre Fly Shoot.

So back to the Topic Title.... Personally, I would not be using Sierra Bullets if I was seriously wanting to do well at BenchRest Target Shooting. They may be okay for F-Class where in my view you have a lot greater margin for error... Not knocking F-Class shooters, we all have a sport we love.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Mar 2019, 6:11 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

1.250 inches at 500 metres is 0.2183 MOA.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 15 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

I know completely off topic (sorry) but to be competitive at short range Benchrest the aim is to shoot 0,1 MOA which is achievable with the right gear. Mostly a 6mm PPC.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition