Reloads won’t chamber but factory will

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloads won’t chamber but factory will

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Mar 2019, 9:53 am

So, here’s a pitfall for a new player like myself.
I full length resized some 06 brass a month ago - and tested the brass in my now gone steyr. There was no issue.

I’ve then mistakenly - not set up the die for specifically for my new sauer 06 and when trying to test chamber some reloads - only 1 in 10 will allow the bolt to close...
All factory rounds cycle perfectly...so out with the micrometer.

Turns out - the tolerances on the sauer are much tighter and the die has not been fully resizing down to the extraction lip.
I’ve set up my die to touch the base and then 1/8 turn extra...but this is not enough with this new sauer rifle.
I’ve now reset the die to touch the piston base plus half a full turn and it cycles like butter...
I must confess - had me confused for some time!!! Happy again lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Reloads won’t chamber but factory will

Post by YoungSC » 05 Mar 2019, 10:42 am

I had a similar problem with a Forster full resizing die. The brass measured in spec, but couldn't get it sized down enough to get the bolt to close. Extra turns didn't help.

Ended up sanding off the die a few thou (doing my best to keep at right angles and used a figure 8 pattern) and now all is well.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by bigrich » 05 Mar 2019, 12:14 pm

I got caught out resizing 308 brass from a ruger gunsight for a sako 308 . The tolerance on the sako was much tighter
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Mar 2019, 1:17 pm

It might be worth noting the differences for headspace/shoulder measurement as measured from a datum point with the same comparitor Tassie...
Also maybe the differences in the walls & down at the head of the case on cases fired out of both chambers...

What for i dont know.. :unknown: .but figures like that may come in handy one day in the future..not to mention give yoy an idea how much tolerance different chambers have.... :unknown:

There are vast differences in the three 22-250 chambered rifles i have...& two of them are chambered in the Sako factory... :problem:
So setting FL dies is something i need to be aware of (&avoid if i can :lol: )...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 05 Mar 2019, 2:15 pm

Half a turn after touching the shell holder ........ what press is it a lee......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Mar 2019, 2:57 pm

deye243 wrote:Half a turn after touching the shell holder ........ what press is it a lee......

Aye, it’s a lee turret press...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Mar 2019, 3:01 pm

Stix wrote:It might be worth noting the differences for headspace/shoulder measurement as measured from a datum point with the same comparitor Tassie...
Also maybe the differences in the walls & down at the head of the case on cases fired out of both chambers...

What for i dont know.. :unknown: .but figures like that may come in handy one day in the future..not to mention give yoy an idea how much tolerance different chambers have.... :unknown:

There are vast differences in the three 22-250 chambered rifles i have...& two of them are chambered in the Sako factory... :problem:
So setting FL dies is something i need to be aware of (&avoid if i can :lol: )...

:drinks:

The steyr was pretty loose in more ways than one - thus far, it appears i could get a much shallower seating depth in the steyr where as I’m some 5mm shorter in the sauer thus far and still having the occasional bolt lock issue. Seems the mag length is not what limits the projectile on the sauer.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2019, 6:00 pm

Does not surprise me in the slightest.
It's called "manufacturing tolerances"

I have two 30-06 so I have to be very careful to keep the separate and clearly labeled.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Mar 2019, 6:22 pm

good to see I'm not the only one that assumes things will just work :drinks: sometimes that is :lol:

a tight chamber shows you a well made rifle Tassie :thumbsup: I'm not that keen on saami spec myself

how long is the throat, I know it likes the 180 grainers, do you have plenty of room in the mag for long OAL :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Mar 2019, 6:43 pm

marksman wrote:good to see I'm not the only one that assumes things will just work :drinks: sometimes that is :lol:

a tight chamber shows you a well made rifle Tassie :thumbsup: I'm not that keen on saami spec myself

how long is the throat, I know it likes the 180 grainers, do you have plenty of room in the mag for long OAL :unknown:

Haha...yep. Stupid differences. Do you have any idea how many bullets I now need to pull...s**t. Lol.

The mag length allows for OAL approx 85mm butcthe dummy I made at 84.8mm will not chamber - not close. So I bumped it down to .2mm a time and I’m at 84.2mm and it’s chambering like butter. So I might make another dummy to 84.3 and see if that chambers without any bolt stiction and then I can start testing charges.

The lee turret actually moves in the press about 2mm under any pressure - which is pretty poor given the intended use of a press. Or maybe I’m naive to such things...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 05 Mar 2019, 7:58 pm

I have Lyman presses, a 6 head turret, and an O Frame. I use the O Frame for re-sizing. Feels better to use for this task to me, as it does not flex at all.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gormanchov » 07 Mar 2019, 2:25 pm

Had the same issue with my Forster and 308 brass, first time FL resizing I didn’t check that they chambered. 200 rounds through the press and 50 loaded for testing before I realised and had to go back and add 1/3 of a twist to the die...
Gormanchov
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 07 Mar 2019, 8:30 pm

Interesting thread.
Have a couple of these little gems and always enjoy shooting them.
I run Redback 128gn heeled pills (picked up a good supply years ago) and found that AR2205 is no good as a powder. It left granules of unburnt powder in the chamber.
I was advised to try 3.5gns of AP70N & find this works very well; a dirty burning powder but no unburnt granules.
Not sure what dies I have, will check.
Was looking to get a Lee crimp die in 32S&W Long to allow me to crimp the pills. Will see if, as what has been mentioned, will be covered by the FLS die with the spindle removed.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Mar 2019, 8:23 am

Same story as my old boys Mauser M12. They make'em spot on. Real tac driver in 270.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Mar 2019, 9:10 am

The lee moves 2mm.... but it moves 2mm every time, so it should be same.

Do you use the turret auto index feature..I tried and gave up.... probably should have bought a normal lee breech lock and saved a few bucks
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Mar 2019, 10:34 am

for the larger cases I like the lee classic cast press
they are made from old railway tracks which impressed the crap out of me
I have had mine for over 10 years without a problem, a very strong press
the o-shape gives maximum strength and this press does not have wobble in the ram like some others do
leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Mar 2019, 3:04 pm

Ziad wrote:The lee moves 2mm.... but it moves 2mm every time, so it should be same.

Do you use the turret auto index feature..I tried and gave up.... probably should have bought a normal lee breech lock and saved a few bucks

I removed the auto rotate feature - I also gave up.
The problem with the 2mm movement is that it becomes pressure sensitive. So, it might be 1mm on light presses or 2.5 on heavy...
I also wish I purchased an O frame press. But it's okay, its teaching me...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 11 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

marksman wrote:for the larger cases I like the lee classic cast press
they are made from old railway tracks which impressed the crap out of me
I have had mine for over 10 years without a problem, a very strong press
the o-shape gives maximum strength and this press does not have wobble in the ram like some others do
leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html

Sounds like my old O frame Lyman. I got it in the late 1980's and it was second hand then. If I lean on it too much it lifts the bench up!

Funny story as to how I got it. A dairy farmer friend said he got some reloading gear when he bought a rifle, and he did not want it. He thought it was pretty old and of not much value, so I could have it. He dropped off a cardboard box at our house. In the box was the O frame press, powder thrower, beam scale, 3 die set for .222, lube pad, and a loading block. So I rang him up and said "Wally this is all pretty good stuff, can I give you some money for it?". Nope he said, he didn't want any money. So when he wasn't looking I stuck a carton of XXXX Gold in his Landrover. I am still using all of it now. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 8:48 pm

I had the Lyman Orange Crusher Press, it was a good press, I then got a 2nd hand Simplex Master Press and it's a nice bit of kit too, slightly heavier duty looking compared to the Lyman and makes the RCBS Rock Chucker look like a toy (not that there's anything wrong with them either) just a fair bit smaller and lighter built from my recollection of them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Reloading ammunition