Best brand of digital scales ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Best brand of digital scales ?

Post by No1_49er » 25 Mar 2019, 3:38 pm

Ziad wrote:Mate look around you will find lab scales go reasonably. I got a a&d hr200 the other week. And it resolves to 0.001grams is a bit slower than the fx. But accurate and repeatable.

All that means is I have a brand new gempro 250... which I won't ever use... so not sure what to do about it

.001 grams = .015 grains.
Doesn't the gempro do as well? Last time I checked, their spec' said +/- .001 gram
Seems like you've got two that achieve the same thing.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 25 Mar 2019, 4:05 pm

The gempro has the same resolution but there are lot more to the specs than just resolution, Linearity is one of the most important, also sensitivity. I know with the gempro and other Chinese scales that also have the 0.001g Resolution they have a hysteresis like a mechanical backlash. they may take 3-4 or more kernels before they register and then they may jump up or they may just move a little. You really have to read and understand a lot of the specifications to be able to compare units. Of course manufactures often make this a hard task when they are trying to hide things.

Very much like the old analog meters there specifications only applied between 30% and 100% of the scale. Remember the old Barometer that you had to tap the glass and then the needle would move, this was due to stiction a similar effect can occur with all measuring devices. It can be hidden in the specifications in lots of different ways.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Mar 2019, 7:28 pm

Apologies it is 0.1mg or 0.0001. So higher than gempro

The gempro I found if you lift the pan and place it back will register the kernel. After a while you work out how many kernel to chuck in to get the last bit. Time consuming but in a way boring fun.

This hr200 unit will rust every kernel, at times will take a a tiny bit of time to stabilize (its rated to 3 seconds while the fx120 is 1 second) I find it unnoticed really
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Mar 2019, 7:58 pm

I ended up buying another product from Hornady but a different model. Somebody here mentioned a powder thower/ digital scale combo. I did not even know they existed so with a bit of research that’s what I bought. It’s easy to use sensitive consistent and accurate. It does not accidentally overcharge like I was doing often while trickling. Thanks for your replies ..this new tool is goin to make load development much easier
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Mar 2019, 10:27 am

Blr243 wrote:I ended up buying another product from Hornady but a different model. Somebody here mentioned a powder thower/ digital scale combo. I did not even know they existed so with a bit of research that’s what I bought. It’s easy to use sensitive consistent and accurate. It does not accidentally overcharge like I was doing often while trickling. Thanks for your replies ..this new tool is goin to make load development much easier

What product did you buy Blr...?

Got a pic or a link...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 30 Mar 2019, 10:30 am

I had a set of those cheaper Hornady digital scales and found them a little bit hit and miss. Hoping you didn’t end up with a set of those.No such problems with the RCBS chargemaster lite I use now.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Mar 2019, 5:42 pm

Firstly I got a 39 dollar set of Hornady digital scales. Then the Hornady lock and load electronic powder dispenser for maybe 330. Regardless of the dispensing process there is a very noticeable difference in the digital readings. The first set was up and down like a yo-yo. And the latter set just instantly told me the weight of powder in the dish without any dicking around
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition