Tikka T3X Tac A1 6.5 Creedmoor ammo

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Tikka T3X Tac A1 6.5 Creedmoor ammo

Post by Apollo » 28 Mar 2019, 6:40 pm

Ziad wrote:After taking to a few people who are better at this shooting stuff. In a 24" barrel, 2209 is best for the creedmore.

Apollo, I have been interested in molly... but cannot find a supplier in Melbourne. I got a half used container from someone but I tried the wet method and found the powder not to stick anyway onto the projectiles.

Back to 6.5manbun. I think it's an America thing.... thuggery love local. So when hornady developed a cartridge it sort of took off, slowly first then as its 6.5 it just worked. I think their marketing team worked extra hard.

The 6 creedmoor is imho completely a marketing wet dream. Not only they sell the cartridges and cases... but once the barrel wear out as less as 1000-1500 rounds everyone who builds a barrel is even more happy

As I have said, I don't have a Creedmoor and it may well be that the longer Creedmore Case may like the slower powder better.

Molly, I use a Lyman Molly Kit and it's just a dry tumbler with thicker tubs but the bullets need to be hot as in I only really Molly coat in summer by doing everything outside in the sun. I only Molly coat for the reason of firing 50 rounds in competition shooting without having to clean at all during the day. Getting a load right is a pain with sorting out extra powder to get back accuracy and velocity to where they should be.

6 Creedmoor might be like other wildcat calibres pushing the limit, one being like 6.5x284 which burns barrels. Something has got to happen pushing a very hot powder charge down a small hole then again to think is where the flame is hottest from the angles produced in the case then exit the neck.

I haven't seen any info on expected barrel life from a Creedmoor. It's certainly not a .308 nor .223 so I imagine maybe like my 6.5x47L about 2-3,000 rounds at target accuracy.

I think the best thing that happened to the Creedmoor story was Lapua offering not only their quality cases but being used with small rifle primers like their other high pressure cases.

If I was to buy one I'd be reloading from day one, and doing like I do annealing every reload to see how long they last. Nice to have an AMP Induction Annealer.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 28 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Ziad wrote:After taking to a few people who are better at this shooting stuff. In a 24" barrel, 2209 is best for the creedmore.

Apollo, I have been interested in molly... but cannot find a supplier in Melbourne. I got a half used container from someone but I tried the wet method and found the powder not to stick anyway onto the projectiles.

Back to 6.5manbun. I think it's an America thing.... thuggery love local. So when hornady developed a cartridge it sort of took off, slowly first then as its 6.5 it just worked. I think their marketing team worked extra hard.

The 6 creedmoor is imho completely a marketing wet dream. Not only they sell the cartridges and cases... but once the barrel wear out as less as 1000-1500 rounds everyone who builds a barrel is even more happy

My barrel is going to wear out after 1000-1500 rounds??
Hmmmm, don’t think so.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 28 Mar 2019, 7:04 pm

He's talking about the 6mm version. I think the 6.5 has an accurate barrel life of 3,000 rounds or so, as Apollo mentioned. The 6mm Creedmoor would have to have similar barrel life to a 243 you'd think.
Last edited by Flyer on 28 Mar 2019, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 28 Mar 2019, 7:05 pm

Oops sorry mate. I see my mistake.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 29 Mar 2019, 9:47 am

Ziad wrote:Apollo, I have been interested in moly... but cannot find a supplier in Melbourne. I got a half used container from someone but I tried the wet method and found the powder not to stick anyway onto the projectiles.

BTW... Any Gunshop should be able to order Lyman Moly Kits and Components like a Bottle of Super Moly. As I mentioned I try and do all my coating during summer. I wash my bullets in Shellite to remove any oil or whatever, try not to handle any once clean or you will have trouble with the Moly sticking to the bullets. Dry in the sun to also heat the bullets as well as heat the media used to coat them. It's a dusty job so I try and do it all outside. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Also you will need to work your load up again as the Moly reduces friction in the barrel and hence lowers velocity. Once you have been using Moly Bullets it's hard to get the Moly out of the pores in the barrel metal.

Unless you are shooting a lot of rounds like in competition then I wouldn't be using Moly Bullets. Lots of stories of what Moly is supposed to do but in my view it doesn't do anything other than save cleaning a barrel during the day's competition and it seems to make cleaning a lot quicker at the end of the day.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Mar 2019, 9:49 am

That's only because you aren't using a solvent that pulls the moly out of your barrel. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Mar 2019, 2:26 pm

Thanks apollo.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by YoungSC » 29 Mar 2019, 5:17 pm

YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Mar 2019, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the link YSC, very interesting HBN.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition