Reloading bench setup

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading bench setup

Post by shovtel » 25 Mar 2019, 2:33 pm

Re: Reloading bench

So im nearly ready to start reloading. I have everything... Just need to make my bench up.

Im going to make 2 benches...

The initial one just to get everything set up and to try and figure out where the press goes, the scales, powder chucker etc... and to fiddle around to find out what works best for me (specially since im a left hander)...

And the second bench will be full custom.

My requirements so far for the bench are:
- It needs to be on wheels so i can move it away when not in use.
- Nice thick table top
- A draw system that is also on roller wheels so i can roll it in/out when not being used and have full leg room under the table when Im using the table.

Any tips on what else i should consider when setting up my table?
It seems as though that the balance beam used for weighing powder needs to be at eye height so read it correctly. the balance beam and chucker nee to be near each other.

the press to you right hand side because it seems to be loaded from the left hand side of it (RCBS Rock Chucker).

Enough room in the middle of the desk to work on case prep, priming etc...

Thanks for your thoughts.
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Reloading bench setup

Post by Blr243 » 25 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm

Wheels on bottom should have lever brakes. And wherever it is that you lock away primers and powders should be not to far away from your bench or locked up within your bench Lighting needs to be excellent Certain compartments should have lockable doors to hide the fact that you have been spending all the food money on reloading equip
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by shovtel » 25 Mar 2019, 4:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:Wheels on bottom should have lever brakes. And wherever it is that you lock away primers and powders should be not to far away from your bench or locked up within your bench Lighting needs to be excellent Certain compartments should have lockable doors to hide the fact that you have been spending all the food money on reloading equip

Def agree with the locking wheels.

I'm planning on having a draw system that slides in/out when in/not in use... ive got my safe for primers etc... to be honest if the table and draws were going to be fixed to the wall then I def would have lockable draws.

Having said that - might be an idea regardless.

Thanks for that!

rough dimensions are 1500 wide x 900 tall (inc wheels) x 600 deep.

The back of the table will have a small shelving system to store the balance beam at eye level.
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GQshayne » 25 Mar 2019, 5:20 pm

I will add my 2c in here, even though I am not a serious shooter in terms of volume like some on here. But I have been reloading since the early 1980's.

I reckon you need two benches, or a segregated bench. This is to isolate your scales, trickler etc from your press. Even with a good solid bench, use of the press will move other equipment. For the same reason, wheels will possibly be a pain too, as any movement will upset things. So a solid bench that cannot move, and keep the press or presses separate would be ideal.

But, that is great if you have the space, and not so practical if you do not. Your idea would be fine for all general reloading, so maybe a solution to isolate the scales, powder thrower etc would work. Not sure how though!

As for your bench on wheels, perhaps an anchor of some sort could be used to bolt it to when you wheel it out from its hidey hole. A couple of dynabolts or something similar.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 25 Mar 2019, 8:57 pm

For nice lighting i shine my spotties into the ceiling and corners of the garage to get nice diffuse light around my workspace as well as extra camping light bars. The idea is to get the light on your work area without directly seeing an led. I like a well lit area for reloads or pulling gadgets apart.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 25 Mar 2019, 8:58 pm

For nice lighting i shine my spotties into the ceiling and corners of the garage to get nice diffuse light around my workspace as well as extra camping light bars. The idea is to get the light on your work area without directly seeing an led. I like a well lit area for reloads or pulling gadgets apart.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 26 Mar 2019, 11:14 am

What I have found over more than five years of reloading.

1. Big comfortable plush office chair.
2. Plenty of lighting.
3. Whatever your press is mounted to, it needs to be solid.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 26 Mar 2019, 12:34 pm

I’m actually a bit nervous about the wheels on the base of your bench. I use a cordless drill fitted with a tubular brass cleaning brush to clean the inside of my case necks Then I lubricate the insides of the case necks. Even after I do this the upstroke of the press arm which pulls the expander ball thru the neck takes a bit of force sometimes .... this upstroke could upset everything else on the bench
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by axio » 27 Mar 2019, 7:30 am

Overhead lighting
TV where you trim brass
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2019, 1:28 pm

Castors are going to need serious reinforcement - can get a fair amount of force on the bench full length resizing - especially if doing something a little left of field.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2019, 4:56 pm

Shovtel wrote:,

"A draw system that is also on roller wheels so i can roll it in/out when not being used and have full leg room under the table when Im using the table."

Easiest and cheapest option would be a cheap tool trolley/set of drawers. If you're not planning on putting 200kg of tools in it of coarse. :lol:
They usually come with a lock so that would pass as "secured" for some of the items that you may need to lock up. ( Think primers, ammo etc. )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 27 Mar 2019, 6:38 pm

Am in the process of designing a bench for my recently completed gun room. As I reload for a fair number of cartridges, I have multiple presses, which I'll need to set up as removeable.
Regards the use of scales etc on the same bench, I am looking to make an SPU - Stabilisation Platform Unit. Something I handled on military aircraft. Basically, it's a platform that is mounted on springs which help negate movement influence on the platform.
I'm undecided on having wheels on the bench, thinking it'll be better just having adjustable feet to ensure I can get the bench level.
I'm using hardwood 6"x6" uprights to aid rigidity & weight for stability. The top with be double thickness 25mm structural ply which will have the plates for temp mounting of steel 5mm plates that each plate will be mounted on.
I'll work on a couple of shelves with slide out draws for the die sets.

In the throws of measuring everything up at present.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition