How deep do you chamfer brass necks? What angle?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How deep do you chamfer brass necks? What angle?

Post by rainwalker » 06 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

Hi guys,

What depth and angle to you guys aim for when chamfering the inside of your brass necks?

Do you just give it a light spin to remove any burs or do you do it enough to get a defined slope into the brass?

Can you go to far with the slope? Will it muck anything up?

Thanks.
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: How deep do you chamfer brass necks? What angle?

Post by Phaine » 06 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

I just do 'em by hand with the chamfer and spin it until it feels smooth.

Sometimes there's an angle, sometimes not, depending on how much rough needs to come off for the inside neck to be feel smooth.
Phaine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by heeple » 06 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

If you go too far you can make the edges of your brass sharp which can peel bits of the bullet jacket off.
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 06 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

Same as crimp and flairing on pistol cases, as little as possible so that you get it to work consistently, the more you work the brass the less it will last, you just want to take off the sharp edge so the bullet seats without shaving and when loaded it slides into the chamber nicely. If you taking it past that and put a sharp point on the edge, you've gone way too far.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by The Brass » 07 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm

Phaine wrote:I just do 'em by hand with the chamfer and spin it until it feels smooth.

Sometimes there's an angle, sometimes not, depending on how much rough needs to come off for the inside neck to be feel smooth.

yoshie wrote:as little as possible so that you get it to work consistently, the more you work the brass the less it will last, you just want to take off the sharp edge so the bullet seats without shaving and when loaded it slides into the chamber nicely.

This is pretty much what I do as well, a light turn by hand and you can feel when the burrs have gone. I don't aim to grind any kind of angle into them.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition