Oil on primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Oil on primers

Post by DaleH » 07 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

I had a look in my lock up primer store area the other day and i noticed that an oil container in another part of the cabinet had tipped over and leaked with the oil eventually getting to and soaking into the packets of ~ 300 primers :( . I have subsequently changed my storage arrangements but the question is:
1. will the primers be U/S (my thoughts are that this is highly probable)?
2. How do I safely dispose of the primers?

Thoughts / experiences would be appreciated.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: oil on primers

Post by The Brass » 07 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

I wouldn't be using them.

They might still fire, but with the oil spill I reckon you'll have problems with delayed or weak ignitions of the primer.

At best they might just shoot terribly, at worst... Who knows.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Will » 07 Feb 2014, 1:46 pm

Chuck them for sure.

What's 300 primers cost, $25? Not worth it.

As far as disposing of them, I've read of one of way of disposing them was a guy filled a bucket with water and left the primers in them for a week so the stuff that goes bang dissolved away. Tip out the water, chuck the primer cases...

That just read of some US forum, not from personal experience.

Sounds ok though unless anyone call tell me a problem?
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Elek » 07 Feb 2014, 1:53 pm

I think strictly speaking you're supposed to 'dispose' of any unwanted/unusable ammo to either a licensed firearms dealer or to your local police station.

By themselves though I can't see that any harm could come to anyone. You could call your local plod and ask about dropping them off and see if they just say chuck them in the bin?

If you wanna do things by the letter though I think dealer/cop shop is your destination.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

Entry deleted
Last edited by Oldbloke on 09 Feb 2014, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 07 Feb 2014, 10:20 pm

Modern primers are sealed with a coating to prevent humidity/moisture from affecting them. That said I wouldn't be loading them into cases to be used.

I'm not sure is some kind of solvent would dissolve the coating and render the primers inert

If they were in cases I'd simply fire them off but as they're loose it's probably up to you to decide what happens to them.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Feb 2014, 7:33 am

As "Chronos" has said, modern day primers are sealed with a coating to protect them against contamination.

There is an extract from one of the reloading manuals floating around the internet, written by a guy I believe that's involved with CCI Primers, describing the aluminium seal that is applied over the primer material during manufacture.

I believe this applies to most manufactures of primers so unless there is a fault with the seal, oil,water or any other contaminate should not affect the primer base material.

I would be very careful doing any of the "old wives tail" stories of killing a primer to render it inert. The primer material is a nitroglycerine based explosive, not like smokeless powder that just burns. Burning primers should by all accounts cause them to explode and during that process could send pieces of metal flying all over the place. Treat them with extreme care out in the open.

Perhaps wash a few with Metho, let them dry and load them in empty cartridge cases and test them in your firearm.

In the past I have soaked primers with various materials like WD40, Oil of various grades, water etc for like a week then test fired them in a firearm. All went off.

However, I would not trust them to ignite a powder charge correctly with the thought of possibly lodging a bullet part the way down the bore.

I would dispose of them correctly by handing them into the local Gun Shop or Police Station.

They are cheap and not worth the risk be it ever so small of a failure and damage to person and/or equipment.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2014, 7:46 am

If apollo is correct, in that they are sealed, my suggestion should not be used. It would not be a safe method of destruction due to fragments being ejected.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Oil on primers

Post by DaleH » 11 Feb 2014, 9:47 am

Looks like I will be paying the LGS a visit this week to get some new primers - will talk to them then about getting rid of the old ones. thanks to all for your input.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 11 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

Failing that, this is from wasteauthority.wa.gov.au FYI.

Ammunition (e.g. bullets) and firearms can be handed in to any WA Police station for free disposal.

So there is that, if the store doesn't want to help you dispose of them.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by DaleH » 11 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Thanks for that!
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 11 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

Have a little read please....!!!!

Not on Topic but I think worth the effort.

Just a few quick facts on Primers.....

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04 ... ip_200909/
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by lapp » 11 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

With pictures and everything :D
lapp
Recruit
Recruit