Does seating a projectile change brass?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Does seating a projectile change brass?

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 5:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Raises a question - can you use a FL resize die to neck size only??
I have some lapua brass coming and want to make sure I do this lot correct....

Yes, just set the die up so it doesn't bump the shoulder.

Thats what I do. Seems to work.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 6:23 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Raises a question - can you use a FL resize die to neck size only??

I believe you can by lifting the die higher in the press.

Never tried it as I have never needed to, all the die sets I own have a neck die. Funny thing, most of those haven't been used here for years since most all my reloading is done using In-Line Dies using an Arbor Press.

Other than using the likes of a Forster Coaxial Press, floating dies and expensive bushing dies I would be using the Lee Collet Dies of which I have one set. Don't really like them but they produce very straight accurate reloads.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Sorry if this is stupid - do you put a spacer or something in between the shell holder and die base to ensure your only going down a certain depth?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 6:53 pm

Just raise the die, by unscrewing it, in your press. Try raising it until you only size 1/10 of the neck and see how they shoot.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 6:54 pm

If you go with the die factory suggested settings, say tighten the die down until it touches the shell holder.... then back the die out like one full turn or two and see what it does to the neck. If you use graphite on your case necks you will see how far the die is sizing down the neck. Then adjust from there up or down. Remember the settings for next time.

BTW... I have been using graphite to lubricate case necks inside and out for gee... 40 odd years. You should not feel any great resistance when the sizing button comes back out of the case neck. If you do, something is wrong.

I used to use a Match Box with graphite it in way back in the 70's, these days it's the Redding Dry Lube container and I top it up with just standard graphite powder.

That's if I ever use standard dies with a button.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 6:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Just raise the die, by unscrewing it, in your press. Try raising it until you only size 1/10 of the neck and see how they shoot.

I think you might need quite a bit more than 1/10th of a case neck.

Unless you are a crazy target shooter like I am and have just enough neck tension that you can't pull the bullet out with your fingers....JUST.... :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 30 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Sorry if this is stupid - do you put a spacer or something in between the shell holder and die base to ensure your only going down a certain depth?

you can set the fld up with a washer about 1-2 mm thick for using a fld to neck size
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2019, 7:15 pm

I’ve got a dry lube for inside necks - it’s got thousands of little white balls that appear to produce graphite. Think Lyman’s but not at home to check.

Thanks for advice. Will practice a few on some old cases and test chamber before focusing on lapua brass.
Was thinking I’d need to buy 3 x neck dies so thank you all.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 7:22 pm

It's probably Imperial Application Media Dry Neck Lube and the "lube" does run out so you need to replace it from time to time... Either the Imperial Dry Lube or a bottle of Graphite Powder from your Auto Shop/Bunnings is a lot cheaper by miles....same stuff.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

Apollo wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Just raise the die, by unscrewing it, in your press. Try raising it until you only size 1/10 of the neck and see how they shoot.

I think you might need quite a bit more than 1/10th of a case neck.

Unless you are a crazy target shooter like I am and have just enough neck tension that you can't pull the bullet out with your fingers....JUST.... :thumbsup:

There was a 6BR 30 cal wildcat made by Stan Ware which had almost no neck but shot awesomely. Makes you think about how much neck and neck tension you really need.

If you try sizing a small part of the neck you can see if it is enough to hold the pill straight and to stop it falling out. Some reloader may have no way of reducing neck tension but you could try resizing only part of the neck to reduce the amount of surface holding onto the pill. No harm in a little experimentation and Tassie might see a little improvement.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 7:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve got a dry lube for inside necks - it’s got thousands of little white balls that appear to produce graphite. Think Lyman’s but not at home to check.

Thanks for advice. Will practice a few on some old cases and test chamber before focusing on lapua brass.

The little ceramic balls are just media to hold the powder in suspension. When you run out of powder just add some more to the container.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 7:29 pm

Isn't a 6BR 30 Cal a 30BR...??? Of which I have a couple but they do have a neck and up to 300m are just accurate... 200 mostly, score shooting.

The beauty of the 30BR is virtually zero barrel wear...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2019, 8:02 pm

There’s so much knowledge here...how does a 30br not affect barrel wear...? I thought all rifles would have to wear - especially if being accurate to 300, as it’s obviously not a slow caliber..why? Why??? Lol. But seriously...why/how?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 8:12 pm

The 30 BR is a very efficient case and is renown for long lived barrels. They have very slow twist rates, usually around 1:17 and shoot lighter projectiles, around 110 grains.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2019, 8:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’ve got a dry lube for inside necks - it’s got thousands of little white balls that appear to produce graphite. Think Lyman’s but not at home to check.

The little ceramic balls are just media to hold the powder in suspension. When you run out of powder just add some more to the container.

I use lead shot for the same thing...seems to work ok...
Except #4's constanty wedge in 22 cal necks...
I rekon #5's or 6's would be the go, but got #9's in my tin at the moment...(had a spillage we did..#4's everywhere but be buggered if i can see one of em. :oops: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 8:15 pm

Apollo wrote:Isn't a 6BR 30 Cal a 30BR...??? Of which I have a couple but they do have a neck and up to 300m are just accurate... 200 mostly, score shooting.

The beauty of the 30BR is virtually zero barrel wear...

It is no 30 BR, yes the same case but no neck. Look up Stan Ware and have a read.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 8:19 pm

"you can set the fld up with a washer about 1-2 mm thick for using a fld to neck size"

Yep, or just scew the die about 1 or 2 turns up. Doing this will neck size about 70% of the neck depending on how far its screwed up.

I use a small plastic screw top container full of #6 lead shot with graphite to lube the necks.
A specimin jar would do the job.

250ml_container_10065__86662.1529356204.jpg
250ml_container_10065__86662.1529356204.jpg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Raise the die, then raise the ram to it's maximum height (handle fully down), screw the die down to it, then back it off a turn or two, and size a case. Adjust the die down incrementally until it just starts to bump the shoulder, then back it off a touch and lock it down.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2019, 8:35 pm

I prefer it shallow, though i guess you could cut the specimen jar down....

Mine is an old air rifle pellet tin from another lifetime when i could see out of my eyes well enough to shoot...

I like the shot just deep enough to do a neck, no more...
204 case for comparison...
2019-04-30 19.57.42.jpg
2019-04-30 19.57.42.jpg (449.64 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 8:39 pm

It doesn't take much practise to work out how far to "Dip Your Wick"... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition