lil gun load crono results 22 hornet, 357 marlin

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

lil gun load crono results 22 hornet, 357 marlin

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 5:51 pm

hey fellas, cronoed a couple of loads today in my krico 22 hornet 24” barrel,and my 357 marlin with 18.5” barrel.thought i might post the results as a topic of conversation and information for people loading for these calibers. i've had very good accuracy from lil gun in my hornet that i've posted pics of previously on this forum , 1/2" groups at 100 with sierra 40 gn projectiles being typical . a light crimp with a lee factory crimp die did tighten groups. i had to drop my load from 12.7 gn to 12.5 to allow for a preasure increase from the crimp.the results today were 2785 , 2730 , 2806 FPS . just for sh!ts and giggles i tried some trail boss loads as well with 3.6 gn being approx 85-90% load capacity for the case with a 35gn vmax seated at 1.715" these were a bit erratic with speed but accuracy was still good , probably due to the light fluffy nature of trail boss being difficult to weigh at such a light load . it sounds for all the world like a 22lr , but speeds between 1500-1600 FPS were the average . thought it might be a handy "quiet" load. my 357 marlin with 158xtp's was shooting clays shot for shot at 100 today, being on a angle on the backstop slope their not that big a target .i posted a pic of a 50 yard group that was about 1 1/4" a while ago with this load. i'm using the "fp" version of these bullets as they are more suitable for rifle speed according to hornady . the crono speeds for 18 gn of lil gun were 1872 , 1848 , 1864 FPS . that's a listed max load from hodgson ,i was using S&B brass with win mag pistol primers . it will start to show preasure signs at 18.4 gn , so i do have a degree of safety with this load . i hope this info might be of use to someone loading for these calibers , and for any newbies check your COAL and start with moderate loads. these loads are worked up for MY rifles, yours may be different . lil gun has a reputation for extra speed and lower preasures , but it does run hotter temps . above all play safe,happy trails and a pleasant easter

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Last edited by bigrich on 21 Apr 2019, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: lil gun load crono results 22 hornet, 357 marlin

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 5:55 pm

Here’s a group at 50 using the trail boss load with a 35gn vmax at approx 1550fps point of impact is a lot lower compared to my usual load
Attachments
4F3DF2E9-9DB5-4A1D-B0D3-0DBA5CB925AE.jpeg
4F3DF2E9-9DB5-4A1D-B0D3-0DBA5CB925AE.jpeg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2381 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 21 Apr 2019, 6:08 pm

now thats a nice bunny/fox load.....just dont make the distance too great
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 8:30 pm

Bill wrote:now thats a nice bunny/fox load.....just dont make the distance too great

i'm experimenting with this load to try to acheive a extremely accurate "quiet" load for just that reason bill . might try it at 100 yards next to see how it goes . it doesn't get pushed around as much as 22lr by wind either. going to try 40 gn speer soft points i got sitting around too :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 21 Apr 2019, 8:37 pm

Interesting- thanks for sharing - I’m also playing with Lilgun atm in bolts and levers - having a few issues with std deviation, although accuracy is still decent enough. I also have some 204 Trail Boss loads that seem to throw the odd one high - obviously speed issues. I think magnum primers might be worth investigating for both these symptoms. I never got Lilgun grouping tight with lead pills in my levers though - almost like it was too aggressive for the softer lead - I went back to 2205 for my 32h&r under lead.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 8:51 pm

in2anity wrote:Interesting- thanks for sharing - I’m also playing with Lilgun atm in bolts and levers - having a few issues with std deviation, although accuracy is still decent enough. I also have some 204 Trail Boss loads that seem to throw the odd one high - obviously speed issues. I think magnum primers might be worth investigating for both these symptoms. I never got Lilgun grouping tight with lead pills in my levers though - almost like it was too aggressive for the softer lead - I went back to 2205 for my 32h&r under lead.

lil gun seems to like around 90-95% case fill . i'm using win small pistol in my hornet, win mag pistol in my 357 . trail boss is so light you can have a difference of 6-7 actual grains and it wont show up on the scales . in a small case like the hornet that can produce the odd flyer, and would explain speed differences of 100 FPS on the chrono . i have a more accurate lyman digital i might start using for these loads . lil gun is definately too agressive for lead . it generates more heat than other powders apparently as well , but mate, pushing 357 at close to 1900 FPS with the right 158 gn projectile, i'm looking forward to feild testing it on ferals. it gives the humble 357 some punch i'll tell ya . still thinking about a 44 mag though....... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2019, 9:00 pm

I have been using lil gun in the daughters 22 hornet for a while but haven't checked the speed
my loads look similar to yours and I had the same smaller groups with a light crimp
good to see someone else's results BR
thanks for posting :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 9:19 pm

marksman wrote:I have been using lil gun in the daughters 22 hornet for a while but haven't checked the speed
my loads look similar to yours and I had the same smaller groups with a light crimp
good to see someone else's results BR
thanks for posting :thumbsup: :drinks:

my crimped 12.5 gn loads shoot as well at 100 as the trail boss loads at 50 in the pic i posted. i actually keep my trim length as long as possible to get enough projectile in the neck of the case for neck tension , as well as crimping. keeping coal short seems to help with accuracy in my rifle as well .what projectiles are you using MM ? 40 h/point and 40 gn "hornet" s/point sierra's give best accuracy in my old krico .40 vmax shoot great but are too long for the magazine i love getting on forums to help others with tips MM, i've learned alot from surfing the net on forums as well . what goes around, comes around....... :thumbsup: all this talk about hornet rifles, i'm waiting for stix to drop in on this conversation :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 21 Apr 2019, 9:24 pm

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:Interesting- thanks for sharing - I’m also playing with Lilgun atm in bolts and levers - having a few issues with std deviation, although accuracy is still decent enough. I also have some 204 Trail Boss loads that seem to throw the odd one high - obviously speed issues. I think magnum primers might be worth investigating for both these symptoms. I never got Lilgun grouping tight with lead pills in my levers though - almost like it was too aggressive for the softer lead - I went back to 2205 for my 32h&r under lead.

lil gun seems to like around 90-95% case fill . i'm using win small pistol in my hornet, win mag pistol in my 357 . trail boss is so light you can have a difference of 6-7 actual grains and it wont show up on the scales . in a small case like the hornet that can produce the odd flyer, and would explain speed differences of 100 FPS on the chrono . i have a more accurate lyman digital i might start using for these loads . lil gun is definately too agressive for lead . it generates more heat than other powders apparently as well , but mate, pushing 357 at close to 1900 FPS with the right 158 gn projectile, i'm looking forward to feild testing it on ferals. it gives the humble 357 some punch i'll tell ya . still thinking about a 44 mag though....... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=145272
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 10:39 pm

good on ya in2anity :lol: i seen that one . i'd probably just get another '94 marlin . i like winchesters, but don't like peeps cause they don't work with my eyes, and i don't like the dodgy scope mounts on the winchesters . only other thing i've considered is a henry , still undecided on them but. if i was to look at a ruger 77 in 44 mag , i might as well go all the way and build a bolt gun in 358 winchester ( 308 necked up ) decisions , decisions :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition