target .243

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: target .243

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm

I'm not going to argue the point of science / physics so I agree with your first part but not the last.

To make just a short reply my belief is the faster the bullet travels then the shorter margin you have for that node (sine wave) to enable an exit at close to the ideal timing of the muzzle exit.

As I said, I'm not going to argue these points. It's not the topic. Perhaps a thread on ballistics / bullets / barrels.... go to the Accurate Shooter Site and join the topics by Bryan Litz and close to that those inputs by the Berger Team yet alone then Eric Cortina who as a long range (ie 1,000 yard) shooter (Team Lapua) has on his topic of testing at 100 yards for long range. In our own ball park here in Oz the input on long range (1,000 yards) that HOF Stuart Elliott has made on various Forums when he had the time to comment.

I have done my own testing at home where I have the time to pick conditions and what I have said I believe is the case. I have never had consistent accuracy over a whole day of competition shooting with using the highest velocity accurate loads. Just my story sorry and from some others who have done very well over the years at competition target shooting.

BTW... Two comments that Stuart Elliott said to me personally many years ago... I have a .243W "shoot it in competition, the 6mm is a very accurate cartridge" and "shoot a .22LR of any description at long range and you will learn about wind reading" then to go with that also "Practise, it will make you a better shooter be it Target /Hunting /Varminting".

Very wise person as is his better half.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2019, 10:16 pm

Thanks for your input Apollo, I have enjoyed the discussion. I love hearing about how other people approach the sport and see if I can use the information to improve my game. Cheers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2019, 10:19 pm

I am enjoying how things change.My .222 Ruger was my go to and the .243 HOWA was my spare.Now the .222 is a safe queen and I am really enjoying the .243.Sounds like I am going to order/purchase 90gn Bergers and make some target ammo soon.My youngest son has let me know he would like to go target shooting Saturday morning.Thanks Apollo.Just what I was looking for
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 30 Apr 2019, 10:42 pm

If the youngster wants to go target shooting then take out the .222. In years gone past they held many longer range accuracy records until things a bit better came along. But the barrel life of a .222 is much much greater than the rather short accuracy life of a .243W. He will have a lot of fun with the .222 and it won't kick like the .243W does so that will help his accuracy skills.

Bit off the point but I have two target rifles and two different barrels chambered in 30BR that I did usually take to a target range with me for the time when someone, usually youngster didn't have access to a dedicated expensive target rifle. They really enjoyed shooting something so accurate with one young fella who was left handed, shooting right handed and put 5 shots in one hole at 200 metres. He couldn't wait to show his father...who said "no, you aren't having one"...!!!!

I didn't mind and had a laugh at the comment I was expecting, the March Scope alone was worth 4 grand. 30BR, well as far as I know, nobody has ever worn out a barrel after quite some several thousand rounds down the tube.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:02 pm

The son is 26 years old and weighs a metric tonne.I forgot to mention that.I took him to the farm recently and handed him the .222 and his weapons handling was perfect and he head shot roos in under 3 seconds and never missed.He has sat in a room doing shootem up computer games for as long as I can remember.He has only just returned to Australia and is staying here.I was amazed it took the Army 6 months and a million dollars to get my skills to that level.He has used the 7mm on paper at the farm.If he chooses the 7mm I might have a go with the .243.You normally only shoot one detail 3 plus 10 but we could put up our names twice and switch over and do it again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 May 2019, 9:47 am

duncan61 wrote:The son is 26 years old and weighs a metric tonne.I forgot to mention that.I took him to the farm recently and handed him the .222 and his weapons handling was perfect and he head shot roos in under 3 seconds and never missed.He has sat in a room doing shootem up computer games for as long as I can remember.He has only just returned to Australia and is staying here.I was amazed it took the Army 6 months and a million dollars to get my skills to that level.He has used the 7mm on paper at the farm.If he chooses the 7mm I might have a go with the .243.You normally only shoot one detail 3 plus 10 but we could put up our names twice and switch over and do it again

I have this (unsubstantiated) theory that particularly for supported-style shooting, it can actually be detrimental to be very fit and muscular. Muscles seem to twitch more than fat. Not so much unsupported though - strength helps delay the shakes a bit for offhand shooting, meaning you can go for a little longer before you have take the weight off.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition