Lee Target Model Loader - anyone used one?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Target Model Loader - anyone used one?

Post by mickyj » 14 May 2019, 1:31 pm

Have one of these - Lee Target Model Loader (Zero Error) in .243 - I'm having difficulty getting the thing to insert the bullet deep enough onto the case. It won't let me push the bullet down all the way if that makes sense.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Lee Target Model Loader - anyone used one?

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2019, 6:47 pm

mickyj wrote:Have one of these - Lee Target Model Loader (Zero Error) in .243 - I'm having difficulty getting the thing to insert the bullet deep enough onto the case. It won't let me push the bullet down all the way if that makes sense.

Is the brass trimmed to length?
And is the case mouth chamfered?
Which specific bullet are you using?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickyj » 15 May 2019, 12:14 am

bladeracer wrote:
mickyj wrote:Have one of these - Lee Target Model Loader (Zero Error) in .243 - I'm having difficulty getting the thing to insert the bullet deep enough onto the case. It won't let me push the bullet down all the way if that makes sense.

Yes it’s trimmed and chamfered it’s a hornady bthp 87 grain
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2019, 5:43 am

mickyj wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes it’s trimmed and chamfered it’s a hornady bthp 87 grain

Bugger, I was thinking maybe it was a tiny bullet that was not envisaged when the Lee Loader was invented :-)
I guess the next questions are how far are you trying to seat it, and how far can you seat it? Are you loading .243 to a standard overall length?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 15 May 2019, 8:28 am

I haven’t used the target model loader but looking at pictures of them they appear to have the same seating adjustment. Ie, a shaft with a locking collar on a thread that winds out as far as you want. Is the threaded shaft moving freely at all, or is it locked up. Can it wind out of the head piece? How much is it missing the depth by?
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickyj » 16 May 2019, 6:11 am

deanp100 wrote:I haven’t used the target model loader but looking at pictures of them they appear to have the same seating adjustment. Ie, a shaft with a locking collar on a thread that winds out as far as you want. Can it wind out of the head piece?

Is the threaded shaft moving freely at all, or is it locked up.? Both. It moves freely to enable you to dial up the desired insert depth and then you tighten it up to insert bullet. That bIt seems to work fine.

How much is it missing the depth by? i was trying to make a cartridge that was 67 mm in length overall. but cant get below 69mm.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 16 May 2019, 7:58 am

The lee loaders I used had enough adjustment that I could nearly push the projectile all the way into the case. Can you take off the locking collar to pick up a few mm of space and rely on the friction of the thread to keep it in the right place.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition