Bullet seated too deep ???

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Bullet seated too deep ???

Post by cirles » 26 May 2019, 11:00 pm

marksman wrote:circles you are getting a heap of horizontal
please dont be offended if I say I think you may be the problem
have a look at this utube vid I think will help you shrink your groups :thumbsup: :drinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeJ8rRUSXc

be aware that a heavy trigger can cause horizontal as well as other things :drinks:
also a smaller target is better, aim small shoot small :thumbsup:

Hi marksman,

No offense at all taken, & yes I think that I am the problem with the groups. Definitely getting horizontal shooting so any suggestions are welcome & will look at the video you have posted.

I find that I am not comfortable when it comes to operating the rifle on a bench (friend just starting says the same thing, he prefers shooting prone). I shoot from a bipod that has spiked feet (came as standard) so use a strip of rubber matting I place on the bench top & put my bipod on top of that. I then use my left hand under the pistol grip handle to help adjust height (do not use a bag or anything at the rear & do not wish to) while trying to hold the stock end hard into my shoulder (which I think may be wrong). Another problem I am running into is suffering from pins & needles in my right dodgy arm, result of neck issues that rose again 2-3 months ago, & that may be a game changer in ending this little game. Will have to see how that plays out next time.

Really enjoying this otherwise, the setting up & actually loading rounds that did not blow up the rifle :D
Last edited by cirles on 26 May 2019, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by cirles » 26 May 2019, 11:13 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Are they all the same powder charge but using different primers?

Why did you decide to use different primers for this load test?

Don't test more than one change at a time.

You look like you are having fun, keep it up.

Hi SCJ429,

All powder charges exactly the same, but yes 2 different primers. Wanted to see if primers could make a difference regarding accuracy & don/t really see anything significant here. The puzzle is the growth/length increase of the shoulders on the Federal primer cases but not apparently on the CCI primer cases, which suggests to me that more power was generated by the Federal primers. But that did not seem to have much bearing on the accuracy at this 100 meters. Certainly my next load test, I will stick with the Federal primers because they seem to fire form the cases better.
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by cirles » 26 May 2019, 11:46 pm

Previous images were for the CCI primers, these 3 are for the Federal primers.
Attachments
Group 10 Bullets -1.jpg
Group 10 Bullets -1.jpg (565.72 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Group 6 Bullets - Copy 1.jpg
Group 6 Bullets - Copy 1.jpg (636.33 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Group 2 Bullets - Copy 1.jpg
Group 2 Bullets - Copy 1.jpg (521.84 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 10:13 am

Stick with whatever primer you like but find a load that is sitting in a node that shoots. Then if you want to change primers you can do this testing. The new primer may give you extra speed and push you out of the node. You then throttle back the charge to get you back into the node and see if the primers have decreased your standard deviation. Do you have a chronograph?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 10:24 am

Shooting prone off a bipod takes a little technique but can be extremely accurate. You see F class shooters using bipods on skids so that the rifle recoils straight back. If you put too much input into the rifle it may bounce off the ground sending your rounds left and right, up and down. Loading up the bipod by pushing it with your shoulder against spiked feet may be doing this. Try rubber feet and gentle pressure from your shoulder.

Marksman posted a vid that showed some excellent tips including trigger control. I find I am better with my thumb placed along the side of the stock, just above my trigger finger. Placing my thumb up behind the action tends to make me shoot left. If I am struggling I go to pinching the trigger with my thumb at the rear of the trigger guard.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 10:32 am

Don't use your left hand under the pistol grip, if you want to shoot without a rear bag use you left hand under the the stock below your face. There are also small tac bags you could consider, they are held in you hand and you squeeze them to get the desired height. These are used by PRC shooters in all sorts of difficult shooting positions.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cirles » 27 May 2019, 12:16 pm

SCJ429,

Big thanks for all the tips here, genuinely appreciated that (as is all the input from everyone).

I do not have a chronograph so trying to find the node for the rifle is going to have to be based on group size alone I guess.

Regarding the bipod feet, will be getting at some stage feet used for bench type shooting, just did not at the time because of cost. I have no experience regarding how much 'bounce' is acceptable when shooting the Tikka TAC, but what I was shooting seemed to have plenty of it, so most likely me loading up too much (thinking to minimize movement of rifle) or my jury rigged rubber mat solution. Probably going to have to wait till I start the fly shooting & have someone observe how I actually shoot.

marksman suggested video was really good. Unfortunately the Tikka is a pistol grip rifle (needed that for the dodgy right arm (has very little wrist movement because of a destroyed elbow, which is where the majority of your wrist movement comes from), but contained some really useful info. on other aspects to focus on & evaluate movement issues from your positioning.

Thanks for the tip on the left hand positioning. The Tikka has a tactical style stock so placing a hand there is going to be uncomfortable to say the least, if not impossible, but your suggestion of the small tac bag sounds great, & something I will definitely explore (my thinking regarding use of the rifle is a portable, minimalist setup for where ever I would use it).
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition