New Winchester brass...yes or no...?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: New Winchester brass...yes or no...?

Post by duncan61 » 31 May 2019, 7:05 pm

I would think the 270 Win would tune up very well for competition as does my 7mm Rem Mag which is very similar.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Jun 2019, 5:02 am

flutch wrote:The old man's model 70 flattens one side of all his brass it ejects, soft, hard, thick or thin it cares not lol

My push feed 222 model 70 does the same thing with both the Norma and rem brass I’ve run through it . I put it down t the way it flicks the case out as it extracts . Minor thing. Most Winchester ammo I’ve tried in my rifles has been crap, Remington and federal haven’t been too bad . It’s a shame Winchester ammo doesn’t live up to the same quality that their older rifles do
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jun 2019, 7:36 am

duncan61 wrote:I would think the 270 Win would tune up very well for competition as does my 7mm Rem Mag which is very similar.

If my calibres clover leafed, all day, everyday, with multiple different ammunition, with not weighed powder, from budget 783 type rifles - I’d not bother doing any tuning what so ever. As SC said, The 270 is not known as an accurate caliber out of the box so to get an inch group from such a combination would be remarkable and to get consistent cloverleaf results with all bullets touching - nigh on impossible on an ongoing and consistent basis.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 01 Jun 2019, 11:36 am

TassieTiger wrote:
duncan61 wrote:I would think the 270 Win would tune up very well for competition as does my 7mm Rem Mag which is very similar.

If my calibres clover leafed, all day, everyday, with multiple different ammunition, with not weighed powder, from budget 783 type rifles - I’d not bother doing any tuning what so ever. As SC said, The 270 is not known as an accurate caliber out of the box so to get an inch group from such a combination would be remarkable and to get consistent cloverleaf results with all bullets touching - nigh on impossible on an ongoing and consistent basis.

Both mine (rem 783) and the old man's (cmc mountaineer/howa) can take out a 1" chain link from 250m, done it plenty pissing off a mate of mine with his little gong, mines glass bedded with much care, has the trigger worked and obviously wasn't a Friday job. Know a heap of other lads with 270win Cal rifles and never known any of those boys to miss either. There is nothing inherently innaccurate about them at all, the outdated idea comes from the old days of soft lead projectiles and poor BC across the board (all calibers) and that the 270 stayed a deer cartridge round most of the world and wasn't employed into the fad driven world of target shooters and the likes, every day you hear someone touting the accuracy of their .308 which from my observations is far from an easy accurate point and shoot rifle, and the majority of projectiles for that also (hunting specifically) are poor at grouping also, it's not that the caliber/cartridge is inherently flawed at all, it's the fact that until recently only low BC rounds were made for it as that was it's market, load it with match grade 6.8 rounds or high BC polymer tip rounds and you get an entirely different animal.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 01 Jun 2019, 5:03 pm

Once again I am with you flutch.super good barrel and projectile and who cares how it gets pushed out and by what
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jun 2019, 5:04 pm

What I’m referring to and I think SC in regards to accuracy prone calibres is much longer range stuff but if you can really shoot as good as your saying, with multiple variables, value based rifles then kudos to you.
You should visit some F class matches - am sure you’d upset a lot of ppl with $10k set ups lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 01 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

TassieTiger wrote:What I’m referring to and I think SC in regards to accuracy prone calibres is much longer range stuff but if you can really shoot as good as your saying, with multiple variables, value based rifles then kudos to you.
You should visit some F class matches - am sure you’d upset a lot of ppl with $10k set ups lol.

I'll stick to upsetting them by hunting when they have nowhere to do it, why waste time and money killing sheets of paper when you can go blasting the innards and brains out of critters in the great outdoors, no club politics and strokers who talk s**t all day, no appeasing egos or idiots with piss poor attitudes, done the club thing in multiple disciplines of marksmanship, every time same thing,

Out hunting, just me, friends and family and the elements, muuuuch better
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Jun 2019, 8:35 pm

flutch wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:What I’m referring to and I think SC in regards to accuracy prone calibres is much longer range stuff but if you can really shoot as good as your saying, with multiple variables, value based rifles then kudos to you.

I'll stick to upsetting them by hunting when they have nowhere to do it, why waste time and money killing sheets of paper when you can go blasting the innards and brains out of critters in the great outdoors, no club politics and strokers who talk s**t all day, no appeasing egos or idiots with piss poor attitudes, done the club thing in multiple disciplines of marksmanship, every time same thing,

Out hunting, just me, friends and family and the elements, muuuuch better

sounds good flutch, sorry to hear your club experiences weren't good . it's pretty casual at the range i shoot. but yeah , would rather be out hunting 1400 meters above sea level on a granite ridge scoping goats :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 01 Jun 2019, 8:44 pm

bigrich wrote:
sounds good flutch, sorry to hear your club experiences weren't good . it's pretty casual at the range i shoot. but yeah , would rather be out hunting 1400 meters above sea level on a granite ridge scoping goats :D

Yeah mate done the committee thing, presided clubs, dealt with brushing egos waaay too often, there's always a cluster of bulls**t artists, wannabes, wallflowers, try hards and people who are off balance and let's not forget fudds in every club, they come and go and the numbers vary but they're there, granted there are less in rifle clubs than in archery and pistol clubs, but still they exist..

My poison is foxes usually, that and cats, recently chased some bigger stuff, but yeah goats were a mainstay of my fun as a teenager, lots of chasing them around the gorges and ravines.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm

flutch wrote:Yeah mate done the committee thing, presided clubs, dealt with brushing egos waaay too often, there's always a cluster of bulls**t artists, wannabes, wallflowers, try hards and people who are off balance and let's not forget fudds in every club, they come and go and the numbers vary but they're there, granted there are less in rifle clubs than in archery and pistol clubs, but still they exist..

I really like the way you said that flutch :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jun 2019, 9:19 pm

The different clubs I have attended To do target I am humble and grateful to be there and have always been treated well as a Newcomer.Then I have my turn on the mound and its game on
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition