Ordering from Midway USA

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Ordering from Midway USA

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm

Well there you go. I contacted them a number of times with no answer at all. I waited ages.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 13 Jun 2019, 9:50 am

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Reminds me when I was into elephant guns I used to order some projectiles directly from the yanks, which were not available here. Also the antiques guys and long range shooting guys after VLD projectiles used to as well.

Funnily enough all I am chasing this time is the humble Remington Golden Sabre HP projectiles in .357. One of the few reliably expanding HP at low subsonic 38 special velocities from lever actions- probably about the quietest pig killing combination in the universe apart from a supressor or crossbow 8-) Can't believe Remington has discontinued this old mainstay,it worked, it was popular, can't work out why its gone. Any day now the yanks will do a run on the remaining stock at midway. Curses...curses :cry:

I'd be surprised if there aren't other .357 bullets around nowadays that work well at subsonic velocities.
Have you tried the XTP or FTX? Or the 200gn Hornady Interlock RN?

Subsonic yes, 38 special velocities, (800-900) is a different matter. The gold dots are okay. Very light FTX will expand, but I'd worry about penetration. XTP act like solids at these speeds. HST appears to be the best but it doesn't come as a component, I dont think we can get it at all here.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolv ... tics-test/
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2019, 11:03 am

mickb wrote:Subsonic yes, 38 special velocities, (800-900) is a different matter. The gold dots are okay. Very light FTX will expand, but I'd worry about penetration. XTP act like solids at these speeds. HST appears to be the best but it doesn't come as a component, I dont think we can get it at all here.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolv ... tics-test/

I'm shooting .38 Special a lot faster than that, and I don't load hot in my Uberti '66. 4.5gn of Trailboss moves the 110gn XTP at 1300fps from my 24" tube. It wouldn't be any problem dropping them back to 1080fps for maximum effect while still subsonic. I don't think I'd have any trouble pushing the 200gn Interlock RN at 1080fps either, and that would hit pretty hard. The XTP is actually designed to expand at subsonic velocities from handguns. While they certainly don't expand significantly on wood or rubber, I haven't used them on meat, though I'm sure I could do some testing of their performance on flesh.
Attachments
XTP.PNG
XTP.PNG (447.15 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 13 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I'm shooting .38 Special a lot faster than that, and I don't load hot in my Uberti '66. 4.5gn of Trailboss moves the 110gn XTP at 1300fps from my 24" tube. It wouldn't be any problem dropping them back to 1080fps for maximum effect while still subsonic. I don't think I'd have any trouble pushing the 200gn Interlock RN at 1080fps either, and that would hit pretty hard. The XTP is actually designed to expand at subsonic velocities from handguns. While they certainly don't expand significantly on wood or rubber, I haven't used them on meat, though I'm sure I could do some testing of their performance on flesh.

For those velocities sure. Again I am running 200fps lower(deliberately),- XTP's and most the others are too hard this slow. There were 2-3 good bullet brands that performed well this speed, now remington is cancelling one. Not that I would mind if I could just get my hands on the last stocks :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by perentie » 14 Jun 2019, 7:34 am

Would not a home cast soft lead bullet do the job?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jun 2019, 8:04 am

GQshayne wrote:Well there you go. I contacted them a number of times with no answer at all. I waited ages.

By phone or email?

Most shops don't bother replying to emails now, there's too many tyre kickers sending late night questions via email without following up with a sale.

If your really keen they expect that you'll call them during buisnes hours.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2019, 10:41 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:By phone or email?

Most shops don't bother replying to emails now, there's too many tyre kickers sending late night questions via email without following up with a sale.

If your really keen they expect that you'll call them during buisnes hours.

I think they're doing it wrong then :-)
I email, because I want the information to be accurate, and to allow them to spend time getting me accurate information at their own convenience, without wasting time that they could be serving customers in-store. I specifically do not call shops because calls cost them time and money.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

Well, I did both fellas. When I did speak to them on a previous occasion, their service left a bit to be desired. The bloke I spoke to was very short, and acted as if he was doing me a favour by answering my call. When they failed to respond next time I was not surprised.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickyj » 15 Jul 2019, 5:45 pm

mickb wrote:Lol just found Midway-Australia, guess its been a while since I word searched them. Anyone used the Aussie branch? I've sent them an email anyway

Yeah I bought a Lee challenger loading kit from them recently, no dramas. All good as far as I was concerned.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Zacnoel » 15 Apr 2020, 10:28 am

Midwayaustralia is a Chinese reseller working out of the hills district in NSW. They are rude, unhelpful and if the worst happens and you need to act on a warrantee claim , they think that after 30 days it’s not their problem, ask me how I know.
If I can give a little advise, it’s don’t be lured by a cheaper price, pay a little more from somewhere more reputable.
Midway also refer you to OSA, the importers for hornady when you do have a problem. Problem is that OSA say that they do not supply Midwayaustralia and as such can only assume the they are selling grey imports and as such explains the no warrantee problem.
“ If it looks too good to be true, it probably is”
Zacnoel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 15 Apr 2020, 11:42 am

As with any claim about warranty issues, the VENDOR is responsible for supplying goods of merchantable quality, in the first instance.
It is up to the vendor to pursue their claim against the importer if they so desire, but that issue is of no concern to the purchaser.
Midwayaustralia would appear to be riding on the back of the good name of Midway USA by pirating the name.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Zacnoel » 16 Apr 2020, 9:28 am

That is absolutely the case - problem here is that the vendor and the importer are one and the same and have little interest in replacing goods or handing back money. :thumbsdown:
These people are there simply to make a buck and have absolutely no interest in customer service
Zacnoel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Apr 2020, 9:50 am

It issuers with them.. take them to consumer affairs or vcat etc
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria