Hodgdon CFE223 powder.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hodgdon CFE223 powder.

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jun 2019, 8:25 pm

Doing some research for load data for the 17 Remington, and one powder that comes up as being one of the best is Hodgdon CFE223. The blurb is that it was developed for military use, where firearm cleaning is not always a priority. So reduced fouling was the aim. From what I read, some people think it works. It also seems to provide very accurate loads in the 17 Remington. The other benefit is that it is a type of ball powder, so will fill a small case easier than a stick powder like AR2208.

Anyone on here use it, and have an opinion?

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Hodgdon CFE223 powder.

Post by Cooper » 16 Jun 2019, 9:18 am

I've got some. Haven't really done much with it. It was about $80 per bottle when I bought it 6 months ago or. That's per pound not 500 gram. It's smells very chemically (Un burnt). If it was the only thing that worked in your particular setup. Then that about the only time I'd consider using it. I just wanted to try something different.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hodgdon CFE223 powder.

Post by GQshayne » 16 Jun 2019, 5:37 pm

Cooper wrote:I've got some. Haven't really done much with it. It was about $80 per bottle when I bought it 6 months ago or. That's per pound not 500 gram. It's smells very chemically (Un burnt). If it was the only thing that worked in your particular setup. Then that about the only time I'd consider using it. I just wanted to try something different.

Righto, if you are not keen on it - why not???
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition