Annealing brass with Lee case trimming system

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Annealing brass with Lee case trimming system

Post by batter » 12 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

G'day,

I was chatting with the bloke at my LGS today and case trimmer and I was asking about the Lee case trimming system with the power drill bits that I know a few of you guys use.

The guy at my local was clearly not a fan of them though, he reckons the speed of the drill causes enough friction/heat to be annealing the top of the brass.

Instead he suggested one of the hand trimmers, but honestly they seem like a slow pain in the ass compared to the Lee drill one :lol:

What do you guys think, does the drill setup anneal brass for the worse? Or is he talking crap? I wouldn't have though it would be putting out anywhere near enough heat?

Cheers.
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Re: Annealing brass with Lee case trimming system

Post by Warrigul » 12 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

I hope you were wearing your gumboots...............
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Norton » 12 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

No mate,

Annealing brass occurs at something like 340c... Borderline glowing...

Not possible with what he's talking about.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 12 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Don't know about the Gumboots...!!!!

Try wearing a pair of Earmuffs so you can't hear him or go to a different LGS.

What have "Power Drill Bits" got to do with Lee Case Trimming...????

Enough heat to Anneal Brass, you have got to be kidding. Plainly the guy has no clue what he is talking about.

If you are referring to the Lee Case Holder in a Power Drill then that makes a bit more sense but nobody in their right mind would use one at high speed with a fixed speed drill. However, if that was used then it wouldn't be cutting long enough to cause any heat. You are cutting a few thou off brass not inches. More than likely it will cause chatter of the cutter and leave a worse than perfect finish.

There is nothing wrong with the Lee Case Trimmer system except, you are restricted to a fixed length for your finished case plus you are restricted to common cartridge calibres. Fine for most Hunting / Varminting type reloading but for Precision Accuracy Reloading there are much better systems.

Even by hand it doesn't take long to do each case. You can use the Zip pull thing, whatever they call it. Probably better is a Cordless Drill or a Variable Speed Electric Drill but on very slow speed, don't exceed a few hundred revs.

Your LGS Guy is talking crap.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by batter » 12 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

Sorry, I didn't word that well.

By power drill bit I meant the shell holder which goes in the drill.

Then inserting the guide rod in the case so the cutting bits trim the neck, and the friction there causes the heat in question.

My bad... Anyway, obviously he was talking crap so now I know :)
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 12 Feb 2014, 9:20 pm

Talking rubbish.

I use the Lee trimming system and if you trim brass after each shot barely any comes off, only a fraction of a mm. You're only trimming for a second.

Even on cases which had been fired half a dozen times without trimming and needed 1-2mm trimmed off, I'd trim them in a single moderately fast burst which lasted 3-4 seconds before they were cut to length and you'd stop. Even then the very tip of the brass was only noticeably warm. Less than 'luke warm'.

He probably just wanted to sell you the $150 trimmer instead of the $20 Lee set.

I use the Lee stuff for my .243, 7mm-08 and .308 and would have done thousands of trimmings with no problem at all.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 12 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm

Sorta read between the lines anyway but glad you explained a bit better.

I still have quite a collection of Lee Case Trimming gear but have not used it for many years. It always did the job fine from turning by hand to using a Cordless Drill. It's cheap and reasonably quick.

Since finding a Wilson Case Trimmer, then obtaining a second with micrometer adjustment I wouldn't use anything else. I use much less than the generally suggested 0.010" under maximum length when I trim cases.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by lole » 12 Feb 2014, 9:32 pm

Apollo wrote:Don't know about the Gumboots...!!!!

Try wearing a pair of Earmuffs so you can't hear him

Ha ha. Gold.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition