Whats a good starter kit for loading .243

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Whats a good starter kit for loading .243

Post by mickyj » 30 Jun 2019, 8:46 pm

Hi Gents & Ladies,

Looking to go to my next step in reloading. I have experienced it using a friends Lee Loading Target kit. BUT looking to get a kit to hand load .243 only at this stage approx 1000 rounds per year. Nothing crazy at this stage. Although i own a 12g shot gun i dont intend to hand load it just the .243, I might acquire bigger cal gun down the track maybe .270 but not sure. I was looking at the 50th Anniversary Lee loading kit at Horsley Pk https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... goryId=117
What do you reckon?
Apparently with that kit i still need to buy the die set priced at about $80 and of course consumables.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Whats a good starter kit for loading .243

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jun 2019, 9:08 pm

That kit looks to be good value I have the same powder thrower and priming system
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Jun 2019, 9:26 pm

Good buy for a startup. The other alternative is to purchase the parts separately. However even though you may never use the beam scales I dont think you will do better price wise buying bits of kit. To that Kit I would add a good set of electronic scales Gempro 250 and a Redding powder trickler. The powder thrower with the kit while only $40 is one of the best on the market very consistent in its throw.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Jun 2019, 9:36 pm

ive got a lee press my brother bought in a kit has been fine to reload with i load up 375 H&H so 270 win wont be a bother. been able to make loads that have shot 1/2 at 200m.. and yes you have to buy dies separatley. and as sungazer said get a decent sett of digital scales.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2019, 7:17 am

Mmm, if you shop around should get one for around $270. RGB lee dies as chesp as $50. But that is FLR only. Thats all i ever use.

No doubt about it. Thede Lee kits are very popular.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jul 2019, 1:46 pm

what you are looking at is what I started with many years ago
I still use some of the components and never used some, eg.. the scales, lee case trimmer, I would suggest getting rcbs 505 scales
I broke the press after around 10 years of reloading cases up to 300wm because I had a stuck 22-250 case,
I now have a lee classic cast and its the ducks nuts, they are advertised as being made out of old used rail tracks
very well made and no problem up to 50cal, I cannot break this one, the ram is in perfect alignment with no slop at all that some of the other brands have
IMHO if you go ahead with this idea you will be fine if you use lee deluxe collet dies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eX6-X2Kxg
there are other reloading components you will need to reload safely eg.. calipers, case trimmer ect

with this setup and collet dies you will make very consistent straight rounds without having to neck turn or do a lot of the precision shooters prep
this IMHO is the way to go for factory chambers :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 01 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

I got 243 dies and cases....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2019, 6:37 pm

Here is a pdf manual for beginers u can down load.

https://rcbs.com/Resources/Introduction ... Guide.aspx

And ADI data.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickyj » 01 Jul 2019, 8:52 pm

Thanks all for your info much appreciated. I went with Lee ultimate die kit. From some random on eBay for $86 new (god help me) And 50th Anniversary Lee kit $260 form Midway Australia. I should make my money back in 56 years lol!! Its all fun... thanks again guys
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 01 Jul 2019, 8:57 pm

Just a thought- will i need to buy a bracket to mount the lee press on a bench? Bloody Rookies!!
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2019, 9:07 pm

mickyj wrote:Just a thought- will i need to buy a bracket to mount the lee press on a bench? Bloody Rookies!!

Personal preference really. Do you have room to have it bolted to the bench? The bracket is more for a press you can't leave set up. I did build a bench riser to lift one press higher, about 200mm above the bench. The bench top does need to be quite tough, I use two thicknesses of 19mm Yellow-tongue.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickyj » 01 Jul 2019, 9:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickyj wrote:Just a thought- will i need to buy a bracket to mount the lee press on a bench? Bloody Rookies!!

Personal preference really. Do you have room to have it bolted to the bench? The bracket is more for a press you can't leave set up. I did build a bench riser to lift one press higher, about 200mm above the bench. The bench top does need to be quite tough, I use two thicknesses of 19mm Yellow-tongue.

thanks Blade. I might be able to claim some space for it permanently but what you said makes it clearer. Thanks.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 03 Jul 2019, 6:51 pm

just make one out of ply or whatever
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2019, 10:56 pm

Sheesh, just bolt it to the bench. 3 bolts looking at the pic. Really best to bolt the press.
Some things i have screwed to wood then use the same 2 or 3 holes to bolt most things to the bench. Wing nuts are good. Some go in the vice. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition