Tight primer pockets

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Tight primer pockets

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Jul 2019, 9:09 pm

I primed a bag of 100 starline 32-20's the other day, and about 1 in 5 had rather tight primer pockets, about 1 in 10 were extremely tight. No primers were deformed and the end result looked and felt normal and shot normal.

Primers were cci small pistol.
I'm about half way through a block of 1000 and haven't had any trouble with the primers in 357 brass.

I've primed maybe 5,000 or so cases and this is my first experience with tight primer pockets.

Long story short it's made me realise I know nothing about primer pockets. What do you blokes do, does this happen much?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tight primer pockets

Post by in2anity » 16 Jul 2019, 9:13 pm

Freakin hornady brass. And S&B. Often terrible in this regard. There’s a primer pocket tool I use to get me across the line until they loosen up after a few hot reloads. I avoid these brands now though because of this irritant.

I must admit I haven’t really found this with starline pistol brass though :unknown:

Primer hardness also plays a role here - Winnie primers or Federal go in a little easier...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Jul 2019, 9:36 pm

in2anity wrote:Freakin hornady brass. And S&B. Often terrible in this regard. There’s a primer pocket tool I use to get me across the line until they loosen up after a few hot reloads. I avoid these brands now though because of this irritant.

I must admit I haven’t really found this with starline pistol brass though :unknown:

Primer hardness also plays a role here - Winnie primers or Federal go in a little easier...

Cheers, I wondered if other primers would be better.
Yeah i have 600 44-40 and 45colt starline cases and not 1 had a tight pocket when i bought them.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm

Ive had it with S&B 223 brass. I tiny bur in the pocket. I just used the tip of a pockeknife to remove it. A stanly knife would work. No special too.s here. Lol.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 17 Jul 2019, 6:46 am

Oldbloke wrote:Ive had it with S&B 223 brass. I tiny bur in the pocket. I just used the tip of a pockeknife to remove it. A stanly knife would work. No special too.s here. Lol.

Oh nice, yeah I'm not real keen on buying tools when I've never had the problem with any other brass. If its just a bur I wonder if running my primer pocket cleaner through quickly will fit it for me
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 17 Jul 2019, 8:01 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Oh nice, yeah I'm not real keen on buying tools when I've never had the problem with any other brass. If its just a bur I wonder if running my primer pocket cleaner through quickly will fit it for me

That's actually the tool I was referring to - cost me about $8.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jul 2019, 8:29 am

I was wondering if you could get anything to tighten up primer pockets and if that same too was available for wives ?

(if anyone one of you bastards dob me in for this post to my wife :twisted: ....)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 17 Jul 2019, 9:33 am

in2anity wrote:
Kelsey Cooter wrote:Oh nice, yeah I'm not real keen on buying tools when I've never had the problem with any other brass. If its just a bur I wonder if running my primer pocket cleaner through quickly will fit it for me

That's actually the tool I was referring to - cost me about $8.

Oh thats my kind of tool, what is it?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 17 Jul 2019, 10:06 am

smaller cases and cheap skate manufacturers seem to be the culprit with tight primer pockets.

had some S&B 7.62x39 that was like 30% were too small, bought the Lyman hand tool to fix.

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... amer-small
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 17 Jul 2019, 11:10 am

TassieTiger wrote:I was wondering if you could get anything to tighten up primer pockets and if that same too was available for wives ?

(if anyone one of you bastards dob me in for this post to my wife :twisted: ....)

Your secret is safe with me mate...i wont dob you in... :thumbsup:
But personally i wouldnt want her any tighter...& please dont tell her i said that either. :?
:lol:
(Now...Just in case... :sarcasm: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 17 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Oh thats my kind of tool, what is it?

Just google "primer pocket cleaner" - I use the rubber screwdriver-handle type ones. They give you just that tad more breathing space.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jul 2019, 11:19 am

Stix wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I was wondering if you could get anything to tighten up primer pockets and if that same too was available for wives ?

Your secret is safe with me mate...i wont dob you in... :thumbsup:
But personally i wouldnt want her any tighter...& please dont tell her i said that either. :?
:lol:
(Now...Just in case... :sarcasm: )

Ppl at work are looking at me - literally just burst out laughing and now they want to know why lol...erhhh funny video, ehhh...umm.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 17 Jul 2019, 10:33 pm

starline brass is none well for holding up good is this new brass or once fired i have never used it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition