Batching Brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Batching Brass

Post by Stix » 24 Jul 2019, 7:01 pm

marksman wrote:I like to check the volume weight and batch at that, I have stopped just weighing cases
IMHO it is a waste of time checking volume until the cases have been fireformed in your chamber
after fireforming then do your prep and then weigh the volume and sort to your prefered fudge factor
I like my cases say the 30-06 size to be within less than 1/2 a grain different and no more, 22 hornet sized are less than .2 of a grain
and I do try to have the differences better than that

this guy is worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXxxf0iXuio

he does a test on case volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md50fFCeQJE

Thanks marksman...
I would have thought volume testing just for consistancy would be ok if all fired in same rifle... :unknown: (keeping in mind im not doing it to find max load--just consistant cases).

And in any case i found that the surface tension of water in a 20 cal neck to be tricky in getting water level consistant (if that makes any sense... :unknown: )

But the thing is, ive literally hundreds of cases (a box thats atleast 100mm x 100mm x 200mm overfull) to get 3 or 4, batches of 50 from...
So, im not going spend the barrel, consumables & time to fireform that many for a couple of hunting batches--l guess hunting accuracy does have its boundaries...lol...

So unless there's a better option, i guess im stuck with weight sorting. :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Jul 2019, 7:31 pm

it would be ok if all the cases were shot in one chamber I recon Stix :thumbsup:
but the cases still need to be fire formed in your barrels chamber before load testing :drinks:
I use a syringe to fill the cases from the bottom of the cse up, it helps with getting a consistent fill if that makes any sence
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:31 pm

Do a little experiment Stix, get all of your cases and set 50 random ones aside as your control, prep the other cases as you usually would, weigh them and fill them up with water and select 50 of the best to do your load testing.

With the 50 control cases, just neck turn them so that it just takes off a skim all the way around. Use a collet die for minimum neck tension, or a bushing die if you have one, and load up the best powder charge you found for your previous brass. Then compare your ES and SD to see what brass prep got you the best results.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:58 pm

You blokes have got me weighing and batching by brand cases now anyone want 100 or so Win cases in .243.I am prefering the ppu ones
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition