Weighing brass for uniformity?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Weighing brass for uniformity?

Post by AlanK » 27 Jul 2013, 2:20 pm

Hi guys,

I've been doing some reading up on reloading and I see some of the 'pro' guys talking up weighing your brass for uniformity.

Not that I'm the expert, but I'd have thought/hoped it was pretty uniform from the factory???

What's the story experts? :D

Worth doing or not?

If there's quite a bit of variance what do you actually do? Just keep buying brass till you get some matching piles? Seems like a waste?

Cheers.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Weighing brass for uniformity?

Post by Rebel Action » 27 Jul 2013, 9:30 pm

Hi,

Depends on what you're doing. If it's for general hunting etc. don't bother but if you have time to kill go for it .

If you're wanting split hairs weighting brass is one of the many things that should be done in the search for accuracy. Brass will vary from case to case and being the same size externally can only mean that the internal walls are thicker than some. This will lead to less internal volume and on ignition of the powder will give slight differences in pressure therefore velocity will rise.

So if need be, weigh your brass in piles of lets say from 0 to .2 .4 and god forbid .6 grains under and over the of the basic main weight of the cases. Once that's done just put them in batches and shoot them in order of what you like. This also helps to find those cracked case necks that slip through the net.

Regards,
Rebel Action
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by RealNick » 28 Jul 2013, 9:22 am

Matching you're brass is real high-level accuracy tweaking.

If you're brass walls are slightly different thickness there is a little more or less room in the brass, and when you fire this gives you slightly different velocities. You're talking reaaaaal small differences here though.

If you were shooting 1000m F-Class then this would be important for you.

Shooting 100m targets for fun or hunting and you won't be able to tell the difference.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Jul 2013, 9:28 am

If you're going to do it you should fire form and trim them before weighing too, don't just weigh new brass straight out of the packet.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AlanK » 29 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

Norton wrote:If you're going to do it you should fire form and trim them before weighing too, don't just weigh new brass straight out of the packet.

Sorry for the noobness, but how to I fire form them?

Thanks all.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 01 Aug 2013, 9:21 pm

AlanK wrote:Sorry for the noobness, but how to I fire form them?

It's just firing them as usual...

Load some brass with whatever you're shooting and fire them. The brass expands and forms to the shape of your rifle chamber. Now you've got a set of brass that is fire formed to your particular rifle

Once fired in your rifle, you trim all the fired brass back to proper length and weigh it.

The process helps to even out your brass before you starting weighing it... to help iron out any inconsistencies in manufacturing.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Octane » 02 Aug 2013, 1:26 pm

Less time weighing, more time shooting!
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition