6mm ppc no neck turn

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

6mm ppc no neck turn

Post by andym79 » 31 Jul 2019, 9:39 am

Hi guys I am looking to do a 6mm ppc with no neck turn, would a .270 neck be right?

Also I have seen some reasonably priced dies from RCBS and Redding

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/368528/rcbs-2-die-set

I have contacted them twice and received no reply as to what size their die is designed for, I know the expander plug will determine the internal neck dimensions for seating a bullet, but if their neck is getting squeezed down for a 262 I don't want to over work the brass.

Does anyone have experience with 6mm ppc no neck turn and dies to suit?

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: 6mm ppc no neck turn

Post by marksman » 31 Jul 2019, 12:30 pm

the .270 neck will be ok with the new blue box lapua brass but you will want a .272 neck if you are going to use the older cardboard box lapua brass
using the .270 neck you should be loading out to .268

for reloading dies if you are not going to neck turn I would be contacting lee to see if lee will make a collet die set for you
I would normally be saying that a bushing die would be the go with this round but if you are not neck turning I believe a collet die would be a better option for sizing and a wilson seater, the redding full length sizing set are good for a backup as well as to be able to fls

IMHO you would be better with a 6mm br :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 31 Jul 2019, 12:46 pm

I am starting to think a 6mm br would be better myself, that was the original thought as you can see from my earlier post of doing a 6mm br Howa 1500. Though it would have to be the old style Remington version not the new Norma version as the barrel I will be using is a 13 twist for 65-70 grainers and the Norma version is throated long for 105 or bigger bullets.

If I was going to do a 6mm ppc then a 272 neck would be best I guess, thats what a 6mm br neck is.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Jul 2019, 8:52 pm

Would you consider a 6mm Grendel? Pretty easy to neck down from 6.5 to 6mm.

I have several 6BR based rifles, very easy to load for and very accurate. I use a 30 BR FL bushing die for a 30 and 7BR. Even if you have a no turn reamer, you should still neck turn to get the best results.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 01 Aug 2019, 9:56 am

MIdway will not send internationally
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm

The Q-store in QLD has been excellent in getting dies for me, I see they have a small base body die and a Competion seater for a PPC in stock.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition