CUP and PSI

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

CUP and PSI

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 02 Aug 2019, 6:04 am

So I was comparing pistol powder loads last night and decided to look into a conversion between cup and psi. And discovered they can't be converted. At least thats what I think I was reading.

What is cup and what is the point of it? Why does the adi book use both
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: CUP and PSI

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2019, 6:34 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:So I was comparing pistol powder loads last night and decided to look into a conversion between cup and psi. And discovered they can't be converted. At least thats what I think I was reading.

What is cup and what is the point of it? Why does the adi book use both

They are measured two different ways. CUP is a measurement of the compression of a copper slug in the wall of the chamber, PSI is a direct measure of chamber pressure.

Manuals will list pressure in the units it was measured in.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: CUP and PSI

Post by straightshooter » 02 Aug 2019, 7:21 am

As stated earlier CUP is an inferred pressure reading based on the compression of a standard copper slug.
Chamber pressure expressed in PSI is usually measured more directly using piezo or high slew rate strain gauge sensors.
Piezo comes closer to reporting a true pressure curve with a more faithful indication of peak pressure rather than a pressure vs time indication but it is still insufficiently reliable in indicating instantaneous pressure excursions that exceed it's response time.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition