Case life expectancy

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case life expectancy

Post by Blr243 » 12 Aug 2019, 9:26 pm

I think Because 450 bushmaster is a relatively new caliber and there’s not much around I have come to the conclusion that it’s brass is just expensive and that’s it I paid nearly two bucks per case and it’s only star line nothing special.

I’m thinking that the constant stretching and resizing of my old 243 cases I will have a certain amount o case life that I’m used to for the last twenty years no prob I can deal with it But am I right in assuming that straight sided cases like the 450 bushmaster last longer because of their straight sided design ? ESP with the very moderate loads I’m useing I’m sort of thinking ten reloads per case. No problem if they don’t last that long. I have at least 150 of them. I’m just curious.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Case life expectancy

Post by mickb » 13 Aug 2019, 7:36 am

Hi mate, firstly nothing wrong with starline at least for pistol and straight walled cases. If you post after preferences for this sort of brass on a US forum Starline will usually get a lot of votes. I'd say case life will be good especially at the low pressures you are running. I asked a similar question of the lever gun guys over at Paco kellys when I first got into a 357 lever action, not being a handgun expert. At 38 special pressures, aka subsonic they seemed to think dozens of reloads would be possible. I bought bulk and have only reloaded a couple of times so far, so have not had time to see myself. You could ask over at castboolits forum for a more definitive answer on your 450. Very large US forum and they are the guys running things at low pressures all day, someone may have an exact figure for you.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:18 am

Two main ways to make brass unserviceable, enlarge the primer pocket, high pressures help this, and split necks from work hardening the neck area. Keep your pressures reasonable and push the neck around as little as possible. Tight chamber specs and dies which only provide minimal neck sizing really help here.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2019, 1:36 pm

Is your gun a front locker?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Aug 2019, 5:37 pm

The front of the bolt has three lugs so yeah I reckon it’s a front locking action. It’s a bolt action not a lever action
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition