Grinding match ammo tips for consistency

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Grinding match ammo tips for consistency

Post by Aster » 19 Feb 2014, 1:49 pm

Chronos wrote:I think we overdid the pointing because of the obviuos transition from the shape to the point

Not something I've played with... Is there any flexibility to adjust the angle of the point you make? Or is it just a matter of how much force you apply to the bullet with a fixed bullet pointer?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Apollo » 20 Feb 2014, 10:26 pm

Aster wrote:Not something I've played with... Is there any flexibility to adjust the angle of the point you make? Or is it just a matter of how much force you apply to the bullet with a fixed bullet pointer?

Not that many general target shooters do play with Meplat Trimming &/or Bullet Pointing.

Have a read of the Whidden Gunworks FAQ.

http://www.whiddengunworks.net/pointingdiefaq.html

In general the improvement in accuracy possible is just 5% but that can be a big advantage in a competition.

The angle of the point is fixed by the shape of the pointing die. How much you can achieve in making a point is adjusted by the micrometer adjustment to set the force applied to the meplat but the biggest factor of how pointy you can get the point is determined by the bullet jacket thickness.

The 7mm ones done for Chronos as he mentioned may have gone a fraction too far and caused a very slight bulge in the jacket but as John Whidden quotes on his sight it has not been proven that this slight bulge has any adverse affect on accuracy achieved compared to what he considers a perfect pointing job.

I have found some of my photos from showing virgin bullets to meplat trimmed then pointed plus a few of the equipment used. Got a bit on my plate at present and travelling a bit slow due to injuries but in the next day or two I'll put these up in a series showing the before and after story plus the gear used. I hope it is of interest even to those that don't want to go to the expense of time and money but at least should show what is possible.

I know that those I know that shoot 500m and 1,000yards Benchrest do at least trim meplats and that gives them the wins that keeps them at the top of their competition. Some go much further and even sort their bullets using ultrasound to check jacket thickness uniformity and balance. Can't remember the exact name of the machine they use at this time. Being at the top of your game isn't that easy and I know I'll never be in their class of consistantly winning national competitions but getting close would be nice to achieve one day.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 02 Mar 2014, 7:01 am

Just a little bit more on "grinding tips" ... :-)

An interesting read for those interested in improving accuracy at long distance.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletpointer.html
Last edited by Apollo on 02 Mar 2014, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 02 Mar 2014, 7:36 am

Apollo wrote:In general the improvement in accuracy possible is just 5% but that can be a big advantage in a competition.

Hey, 5% is still 5%.

If you've got the time/motivation to do the work for the gain, more power to you.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 02 Mar 2014, 7:37 am

Apollo wrote:Some go much further and even sort their bullets using ultrasound to check jacket thickness uniformity and balance.

Ok, that I definitely don't have the time or motivation to do :lol:
Aster

-

Return to Reloading ammunition