Why is a faster propellant more suited to a light projectile

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Why is a faster propellant more suited to a light projec

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2019, 7:11 am

SCJ429 wrote:
in2anity wrote:Awesome response and just the level of detail I was after SJ - thanks mate :friends: What you said totally makes sense - lighter pills spit out faster so you need to get the burn done sooner.

With respect to 2208 vs 2207, I hear you, but I’m reloading for economy - 2208 is basically 10grs more - and 2207 is one of my go-tos for other calibers.

So SJ do you feel a faster powder in a listed region is basically harder on the throat?

The 308 is not hard on barrels and you are unlikely to notice significant shortening of the barrel life by using 2207. But I would not use it because you will usually see better results with 2208 because it fills the case better and should have a more reliable consistant burn. Save the 2207 for your 45/70.

02D37024-0EAF-4F20-9DAE-160344D78DAF.jpeg
Yet to chronoed, but showing promise.
02D37024-0EAF-4F20-9DAE-160344D78DAF.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 5314 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2019, 9:00 am

Nice work, using 2207 isn't holding you back. The Speer TNT is such a great bullet, the price gives no indication just how accurate they can be. What rifle are you using?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2019, 9:11 am

Sorry I can see you wrote Tikka CTR on the bottom of the target.. No wonder you are doing well. Great bullet and the best factory barrel around equals good results.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

SCJ429 wrote:Nice work, using 2207 isn't holding you back. The Speer TNT is such a great bullet, the price gives no indication just how accurate they can be. What rifle are you using?

Sure is - I think it was you who said it “shoots way above its price point”. Well put. That’s out of a 20” tikka ctr - boringly accurate rifle. I want to try these loads at 500m next to some regular high-performing loads - I’m curious to see how much the wind knocks them about.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2019, 9:36 am

I have shot 7mm 110 grain TNT out to 300 metres and they can group quite well but their terminal performance starts to drop off. I would not use them for hunting at ranges longer than this.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

I'm not giving up on the speer bullet in the ruger blackout over 2205 - I've been playing with seating depths and I feel I'm closing in on a sweet spot.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 01 Sep 2019, 7:06 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have shot 7mm 110 grain TNT out to 300 metres and they can group quite well but their terminal performance starts to drop off. I would not use them for hunting at ranges longer than this.

Hey SCJ...im curious to know more about your experience with theae...
What were you shooting them in (i mean cartridge & velocity)...?
Group sizes at 300...?
Also, what animals do/have you hunted with them , to say you wouldnt use them beyond 300...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2019, 9:56 pm

I am using a 7mmBR case and get around 3,000 fps out of them. It shoots about 1.2 inches at 300 in good conditions. I have used it on goats and pigs but a few times the animal has run off on me far enough so it took a lot of looking to find them. When opening up the chest cavity I did not find a lot of damage. When shooting at 150 metres the same shot does a lot of damage but closer to 300 it doesn't seem to be going fast enough.

A 7mm08 or 308 would be going a bit faster which would help in this regard.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2019, 8:28 am

So riddle me this batman - why is 2207 popular in the 45-70? Out of a 24" bbl, woiuldn'y you want something slower?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 02 Sep 2019, 9:09 am

Its a straight walled case
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2019, 9:23 am

duncan61 wrote:Its a straight walled case

Implying that all straight-walled cases require fast burning powder? So what's with all the listed mid-burn loads such as AR2206H and even 2208? The question is not what, but why.
Last edited by in2anity on 02 Sep 2019, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2019, 9:30 am

SCJ429 wrote:I am using a 7mmBR case and get around 3,000 fps out of them. It shoots about 1.2 inches at 300 in good conditions. I have used it on goats and pigs but a few times the animal has run off on me far enough so it took a lot of looking to find them. When opening up the chest cavity I did not find a lot of damage. When shooting at 150 metres the same shot does a lot of damage but closer to 300 it doesn't seem to be going fast enough.

A 7mm08 or 308 would be going a bit faster which would help in this regard.

Thanks scj...good to know... :drinks:
Ive currently got them for 7-08...ive only shot 2 goats & 2 sheep with them late last year & early this year, but didnt open them up...

Havnt had a chance to get bsck out again since...hopefully that changes sooner than later...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2019, 7:14 pm

in2anity wrote:So riddle me this batman - why is 2207 popular in the 45-70? Out of a 24" bbl, woiuldn'y you want something slower?

Just guessing, could be using cast bullets. Less resistance than traditional construction bullets.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2019, 8:06 pm

in2anity wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Its a straight walled case

Implying that all straight-walled cases require fast burning powder? So what's with all the listed mid-burn loads such as AR2206H and even 2208? The question is not what, but why.

When a 45/70 fires you increase the volume of the combustion area very quickly, the bullet travels the length of the case down the barrel to double the area to be filled by the expanding gasses. To keep the pressure up you need to burn the powder quickly. By comparison a 270 Weatherby Magnum may need the pill to travel four times as far down the barrel to double the combustion area needing a much slower burning powder.

Keep your slower powders like 2206H for your 460 Waetherby Magnum :D
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Sep 2019, 7:45 am

SCJ429 wrote:When a 45/70 fires you increase the volume of the combustion area very quickly, the bullet travels the length of the case down the barrel to double the area to be filled by the expanding gasses. To keep the pressure up you need to burn the powder quickly.

you da man SCJ - thanks for that mate, makes good sense :drinks: I take it that's one of the benefits of a bottleneck? I.e. the combustion area is essentially "throttled" by the tapered-down neck? (thus better facilitating a slower burning powder)
Last edited by in2anity on 03 Sep 2019, 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Sep 2019, 7:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Just guessing, could be using cast bullets. Less resistance than traditional construction bullets.

You somewhat read my mind OB - whilst I'm currently focusing on shiny pills, I keep thinking about my cast lead experiences - I kind of figured cast lead bullets must be a bit more slippery (explaining why they seem better suited to a faster-than-jacketed powder). I also shoot a lot of those Berry's plated bullets - they too must be more slippery than traditional copper jacketed bullets, because I've no doubt they like a slightly faster powder also. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 03 Sep 2019, 9:02 am

[quote="Apollo"]I ...I don't see the relationship between a .222R and a .308W as the cases are completely different in design other than both being a bottle neck tapered case.

Apollo, the 222 and 308 cartridges are indeed very similar having an almost identical shape and are often compared. The 222 can be considered a scaled down version of the 308
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Sep 2019, 11:31 am

in2anity wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Just guessing, could be using cast bullets. Less resistance than traditional construction bullets.

You somewhat read my mind OB - whilst I'm currently focusing on shiny pills, I keep thinking about my cast lead experiences - I kind of figured cast lead bullets must be a bit more slippery (explaining why they seem better suited to a faster-than-jacketed powder). I also shoot a lot of those Berry's plated bullets - they too must be more slippery than traditional copper jacketed bullets, because I've no doubt they like a slightly faster powder also. :drinks:

Yeh, will be a bit slippery. But i was more thinking they would deform to fit the rifling with less pressure. Copper is less maliable. (harder)

What scj429 said has merrit too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 Sep 2019, 2:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, will be a bit slippery. But i was more thinking they would deform to fit the rifling with less pressure. Copper is less maliable. (harder)

I always imagined the faster powder (with it's more agressive pressure spike) must of helped peen the base of the lead bullet, expanding it into the groove. I could well be wrong... :unknown:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 05 Sep 2019, 3:05 am

in2anity wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:When a 45/70 fires you increase the volume of the combustion area very quickly, the bullet travels the length of the case down the barrel to double the area to be filled by the expanding gasses. To keep the pressure up you need to burn the powder quickly.

you da man SCJ - thanks for that mate, makes good sense :drinks: I take it that's one of the benefits of a bottleneck? I.e. the combustion area is essentially "throttled" by the tapered-down neck? (thus better facilitating a slower burning powder)

Thats it exactly mate, as SCJ429 is saying, better expansion ratio in the straight walled cases. Bottlenecks are technically less efficient pistons, a lot of pressure behind a smaller area, meaning they need slower burners to move bullets. However the upside of the pressure on the smaller surface area is of course the higher velocities with nice slender aerodynamic projectiles.

The advantage of better expansion ratio or large calibre for the same powder charge is more power of course. You increase the calibre, you get a more efficient piston, more kinetic energy. There is a easy formula to work this out.

For example taking a 378wby case , and necking it up to 416, 460 and 500 cal, the maximum kinetic energy jumps. In this example it goes about 6000ftlbs, 6700ftlbs, 7500ftlbs, 8500ftlbs.

Basically work out the surface area of the base of a flat base bullet in both examples. If the bigger one is a certain % larger surface area, it will be half that amount more powerful than the smaller one.

Eg a 378 weathbery(375bullet) has a bullet base area of about.110 sq in, the 460( 458 bullet) has a bullet base area about .165 sq in. The 460 is 1.5x more area, so about 1.25x more kinetic energy.

You can also apply the same for powder capacity differences. If one case is 50% more powder than another, then it will produce half that amount increase in kinetic energy. So 1.25x. Try it comparing say 30-30 to 308 to 300 win mag.

You can also work out the difference now between two cases of both different size and calibre. Just do the multiplication for the powder, then for the calibre change, multiple the differences together. You can also work backwards to smaller cases.

Its rough but pretty close. Where its less accurate is smaller cases or extra long long bullets which might eat a little too much into powder capacities. its easier not to go off loaded powder data, just go off the cases total water capacity in grains which you can find off the net. Also where necking a case up and down reduces or increases the powder capacity, it may effect the result. For example you might get some more capacity necking cases up a great deal as it blows out the neck and shoulder angles too. You also need to assume same pressures used in each case, or at least a normal factory maximum.

Where is this random waffle useful? Probably nowhere :) But it was to those of us into wildcatting new cartridges back in the day. If you wanted to know what the end result of saying doing something whacky like necking up a 378 wby to .550 cal for the first time you could project possible power levels. Or working out the max power of some older cartridge in a new action, like a 400 nitro in a ruger single shot back when people started doing it. You'd find a calibre roughly close in size, say the 458 lott. Measure the water capacity for both cases, calculate the base diametres, and then work out where max 400 nitro power will theoretically run based off the lotts maximum energy.
Last edited by mickb on 05 Sep 2019, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2019, 9:12 am

mickb wrote:Where is this random waffle useful? Probably nowhere :.

It's usefui to me because when it comes to recipes I find myself (hopefully safely) pushing the boundaries more and more. By better understanding the science I feel there's less of a chance of blowing my face off :lol:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition