Lee Classic Cast Press vs RCBS Rock Chucker

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Classic Cast Press vs RCBS Rock Chucker

Post by gordicans » 02 Sep 2019, 12:47 pm

The time has come to replace the poor old Simplex turret press with a decent single stage press that can take full length sizing dies. The two candidates are the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press or the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. The RCBS press is about $160 more expensive than the Lee press which is a fair bit given the modest amount of reloading I do. I must admit I do like the look of the RCBS press. My question is, is it worth paying the extra dosh for the RCBS press? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Lee Classic Cast Press vs RCBS Rock Chucker

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2019, 5:52 pm

Suggest you also consider the Simplex O frame press. Built like a brick s**t house.
No idea of price though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Sep 2019, 6:25 pm

Its not a great response as I don't have both. I do have the Lee Classic Cast personally I think it is a great press. I went for the breech lock system as I had that on Lee Press before I upgraded to this one. There really was no need to upgrade. I thought I may have worn some of the thread on my smaller and older press but probably not.

The Classic is built like a brick ****** you are not going to break it and it is not going to deform in anyway when you resize. I must say though I think the same could be said for the little brother just that it is alloy and of thinner construction.

The Classic has a huge ram rod that runs smooth and true up to the dies. The de priming solution is simple and has never failed on me. The arm can be placed in any position and at any length on either the right or left hand side. I have it so at the bottom of its travel without a die it would be past vertical with a die in it is often at vertical it will balance there I set it this way so when the arm is pulled down to size a case the arm is at a horizontal position so you can get the most leverage and ease of use. I may have some of that the wrong way around but I am sure you can work it out.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2019, 9:34 pm

the main difference between the lee classic cast and the rcbs rock chucker, aside from the salesmans bullchit is that the rockchucker handle over cantilevers and the lee classic cast doesn't making the rockchucker no good for lee deluxe collet dies unless you change the setup
the lee classic cast will do anything the rockchucker will and as said is built like a brick sh!thouse,
the lee classic cast ram is not a sloppy fit like with some other big name presses
they are made from old railway tracks or they were, I cant find that info anymore
IMHO save some money and buy the lee :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Sep 2019, 1:00 am

I have the RCBS Rock Chucker. The castings are made in China and the rest of the press is assembled in the USA, last I researched. If I was to do it again I'd get the Redding T-7 turret and be done with it. The one thing fiddly with the RCBS is the primer catcher, that can be a bit annoying sometimes. The press itself works fine, I've loaded a lot of ammo with it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gordicans » 03 Sep 2019, 2:49 pm

Ended up buying the Lee Classic Cast single stage Press this morning at a very good price. It looks to be a very solid unit. Will be using it with a Redding S bushing full length resizing die (without a neck expander). The loaded rounds after resizing and bullet seating with the Simplex press had very poor concentricity (if that's the right word), and I'm expecting/hoping this will be greatly improved with the new setup. It will be interesting to see what effect this has on accuracy.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Sep 2019, 6:49 pm

concentricity is the right word gordicans, in future if you are getting this problem with wobble dies when sizing (usually bent necks) do not tighten up the lock ring
the redding s bushing full length sizing die is the hamburger with the lot as far as sizing dies go
if you take out the bushing and internal parts the die can be used as a body die as well :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Sep 2019, 9:36 am

I think you went the right way. I am not a fan of the cam over features. I like the true and the feel of the force that I am having to applyif any. The cam over how consistent is that going to be from one stroke to the next and over years. Its not like it is a hi tech bit of kit with force gauges and the works just some mechanical made in China bit.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by gordicans » 04 Sep 2019, 11:29 am

Thanks Sungazer, it also saved me a lot of money :) in the end over $200 and I couldn't see $200 difference between the two presses. Very happy with my purchase. It will be interesting to see if my groups tighten up if the new kit can correct the concentricity problem. I suspect I'll be able to seat more accurately as well with the RCBS seating die that I'm getting.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 04 Sep 2019, 5:31 pm

I have owned both. I used the Rockchucker for big game calibres in the early 2000's- sold it to go overseas and about 10 years later got a Lee Classic cast for big game calibres again. To be honest I was not expert a reloader enough to know whether they performed any better than the other. I just needed the size for a 577 level nitro wildcat. I remember doing my research on various american forums the second time around( in the 2010's) whilst saving up for a new Rockchucker, and was pleasantly suprised to learn about the Lee classic cast and its lower price point. I seem to remember there were more votes for the rockchucker on the forums I visited but I can't offer anything as to why. Not much of any mechanical substance in my post sorry. These days I use a little lee handpress as I no longer load the big stuff anyway.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gordicans » 04 Sep 2019, 6:29 pm

good stuff mickb ... I suspect that a lot of people on the american forums vote for the particular press that they have out of partisan brand loyalty rather than any particular difference in the quality of the ammo produced. At the end of the day I can't see any difference between a rock chucker and a lee classic press apart from $200.

As an aside, I bought my press from a little shop in the Beverly Hills area in Sydney. Nothing flash about the shop, just a couple of old boys who knew there stuff and gave really good customer service and advice. Went around the corner to get a second quote from a much larger shop and it was super duper flash. The amount of kit they had there was remarkable. But when it came to the quote the guy who served me was arrogant and dismissive (maybe it was my tracky dacks) and gave zero advice. I gave my order for the press to the two old boys in the non flash shop. I'll be giving them my order for the dies as well and whatever I need in the future.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Sep 2019, 6:39 pm

You usually get rubbish service and good prices or good service but you pay a premium, I don't mind the latter but I am finding I get rubbish service and they expect you to pay a premium. Thank goodness for online shopping.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 04 Sep 2019, 8:14 pm

Nothing wrong with the Lee Classic Cast press! I own an older model Classic Cast and a Classic Turret. Picked up both as ex-demo units 10-odd years ago & have never had an issue with them.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 05 Sep 2019, 12:12 pm

mickb wrote:I have owned both. I used the Rockchucker for big game calibres in the early 2000's- sold it to go overseas and about 10 years later got a Lee Classic cast for big game calibres again. To be honest I was not expert a reloader enough to know whether they performed any better than the other. I just needed the size for a 577 level nitro wildcat. I remember doing my research on various american forums the second time around( in the 2010's) whilst saving up for a new Rockchucker, and was pleasantly suprised to learn about the Lee classic cast and its lower price point. I seem to remember there were more votes for the rockchucker on the forums I visited but I can't offer anything as to why. Not much of any mechanical substance in my post sorry. These days I use a little lee handpress as I no longer load the big stuff anyway.

The more I use RCBS stuff the less I like it. I think it has a certain cachet that goes way back and so people are stuck on it. I use stuff from just about every major reloading company there is. I got green, I got red, I got blue, I got orange, etc. I just find the best tool or die for a reasonable price point and if it's really good I might spend extra.

I think the Lee will probably do just fine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MrSavage » 28 Sep 2019, 9:09 am

Here is a review of 14 presses and it covers both brands. It may help with your decision.

https://youtu.be/TqcYI0G2hqM

And here is the webpage with results.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08 ... -shootout/

The lee will be fine.

I have used the small lee press and found it great for what it was.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition