micrometer?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: micrometer?

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2019, 2:46 pm

gordicans wrote:"so each round in your batch still has variations in jump. Measure your rounds, batch them bý variation in ogive length, then run them through the mic die to dial that variation out and make them all identical in jump"

Bladeracer but you can do exactly the same thing using calipers no?

Yep, you still need calipers regardless. The caliper gives you the information, the dial on the die is where you input that information. I just mark the top of my seating die into .001" or .0005" increments - basically one-sixth and one-twelfth of a turn.

You've determined that you want to seat your bullets for exactly .012" of jump for example, so you want your rounds to measure 2.018" at the exact ogive diameter of your chamber. You set up your seating die to turn out a batch of 100 rounds at 2.022" say. Then you measure them and batch them by length, you might have 3x2.0245", 7x2.240",18x2.0235", 45x2.0230", 19x2.02250", 6x2.0220", and 2x2.0215". Then you put a 2.0225" round in the mic die, run the stem down onto the bullet, adjust it down another .0045", and seat those rounds, measuring them to confirm. Then wind it down another .0005" and run the 2.0230" rounds through it, and so on.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Sep 2019, 3:17 pm

My 2 cents worth.

If you are making hunting rounds or just have 1 projectile per calibre than a standard seating die is fine.

Micrometer die gives you a visual representation so you can say my 69gr Sierra are 1.55 on the micrometer and my 55gr zmax are 1.45. Next time you losing 55gr you dial 1.45 and that's it.

Also note more expensive (competition type) seating dies will have a slieve that hold the brass case and part of the bullet so makes the ammo more concentric, which if you are shooting paper or benchrest will help you get better group's

Also I have noticed that the thread on the Lee seating dies that I have at least the threads are not the same so some full rotation can measure different from other rotations

Now blade has mentioned an interesting thing, makes sense looks like i need to research and ask questions
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 06 Sep 2019, 3:27 pm

thanks Ziad, you've allayed my fears somewhat. I've ordered the Forster bench rest seating die and was wondering if I should've got one with the micrometer. But I'm only loading for one caliber so the micrometer although nice to have I'm suspecting is not essential.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2019, 3:38 pm

gordicans wrote:thanks Ziad, you've allayed my fears somewhat. I've ordered the Forster bench rest seating die and was wondering if I should've got one with the micrometer. But I'm only loading for one caliber so the micrometer although nice to have I'm suspecting is not essential.

Although not essential, it would likely be useful if you are shooting Benchrest competition. Outside of Benchrest, or possibly F-Class type long-distance shooting I don't see any value to the mic dies. As you can see from this thread, most people use them like a standard die anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2019, 3:44 pm

Ziad wrote:My 2 cents worth.

If you are making hunting rounds or just have 1 projectile per calibre than a standard seating die is fine.

Micrometer die gives you a visual representation so you can say my 69gr Sierra are 1.55 on the micrometer and my 55gr zmax are 1.45. Next time you losing 55gr you dial 1.45 and that's it.

Also note more expensive (competition type) seating dies will have a slieve that hold the brass case and part of the bullet so makes the ammo more concentric, which if you are shooting paper or benchrest will help you get better group's

Also I have noticed that the thread on the Lee seating dies that I have at least the threads are not the same so some full rotation can measure different from other rotations

Now blade has mentioned an interesting thing, makes sense looks like i need to research and ask questions

I haven't noticed any difference in the 50+ Lee die sets I have, I'm sure they're all 1.5mm thread pitch. Are there some chamberings that use a different size seating adjuster?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Sep 2019, 3:52 pm

gordicans wrote:now this noobie is really confused

Gordigans & In2...
In simple terms...
As you would know, the seater stem in a standard die is adjusted up & down by winding it up & down in the thread of the die body...

A micro seater die has another adjustment that effectively has a finer thread, therefor allowing for finer adjustments.

I have found it handy for switching different projectiles in the way that i get the right oal sooner than mucking around with a standard die.

But...as marksman said, once you've got the seater die set, its set...

As for calipers/vernier ...these are just the tool for measuring the length of the loaded round (or projectile), which you need (& will already have) if you are measuring your handloads for the distance the loaded bullet is away from where it will first make contact with the rifling (the bullet jump).

So...a finer thread means it is easier for fine adjustments...

As to whether you NEED one, you will only know from using one...

Dont know if ive made it easier to understand... :unknown:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 06 Sep 2019, 3:55 pm

I wish there was a ''like'' button on this forum like in twitter...thnx Stix
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

Ah...i didnt see page 2...im a bit slow on the uptake... :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2019, 4:00 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:In want to set and forget then don't waste your money on a micrometer die.

I don't follow. The micrometer adjustment cuts out the need to incrementally measure the round with calipers. If you want a few more or less thou, you can quickly and precisley dial it and go. Are you saying (in contrast to this), you measure every single round Blade?

even with a micrometer adjustment on the die you still need to measure your oal with calipers :?:
you do not lose this step because you have a micrometer adjustment
even the guys who believe its necessary because they change projectile sizes frequently do not have any advantage over a die that does not have a micrometer adjustment, you still have to set the die up check oal then forget it till you want to change the oal again :roll:
the only people who believe the micrometer adjustments are precise are the salesman :lol:

where I have seen it a benefit is if you are adjusting oal at the range with hand dies and an arbor press
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Sep 2019, 8:22 pm

marksman wrote:
in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:In want to set and forget then don't waste your money on a micrometer die.

I don't follow. The micrometer adjustment cuts out the need to incrementally measure the round with calipers. If you want a few more or less thou, you can quickly and precisley dial it and go. Are you saying (in contrast to this), you measure every single round Blade?

even with a micrometer adjustment on the die you still need to measure your oal with calipers :?:
you do not lose this step because you have a micrometer adjustment
even the guys who believe its necessary because they change projectile sizes frequently do not have any advantage over a die that does not have a micrometer adjustment, you still have to set the die up check oal then forget it till you want to change the oal again :roll:
the only people who believe the micrometer adjustments are precise are the salesman :lol:

where I have seen it a benefit is if you are adjusting oal at the range with hand dies and an arbor press

My one gets me close to the target - only need two measures to be exact (instead of significantly more than that)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Sep 2019, 9:00 pm

I agree Marksman, I have Redding and Forster micrometer dies and still have to measure with dial calipers to get the right COAL. The marks are a reference point but they don't seems to seat the bullet down by the adjustment you thought you made. I am very happy with my Redding seater, it makes nice straight 6mm BR ammo.

I can also make some nice straight ammo with Lee dies which cost me $30.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition