20 cal Vmax/Zmax... ...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 20 cal Vmax/Zmax... ...

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm

Cooper usually when what you are explaining is happening to the tip of your bullet the tip is hitting inside the seating stem
the fix is to drill the hole out a bit deeper then polish
where you see a problem is in run out, once you fix the die you should be getting better accuracy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: 20 cal Vmax/Zmax... ...

Post by Cooper » 15 Sep 2019, 1:06 pm

marksman wrote:Cooper usually when what you are explaining is happening to the tip of your bullet the tip is hitting inside the seating stem
the fix is to drill the hole out a bit deeper then polish
where you see a problem is in run out, once you fix the die you should be getting better accuracy :drinks:

Thanks Marksman. I understand what your saying. The tip is bottoming out in the seating steam before making contact on the bullet Ogive.
This is not what was happening in my case. I think... the tip was making contact on the edge of the die ( 32 Z max are flat base) and catching the edge of the seating stem and taking a chip off the Ballistic tip.

It got better after I smoothed the edge off. But didn’t do it every round even in the beginning when I first notice the problem. In the end I just swap dies and the problem went away completely.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition