Using a kinetic bullet puller on the .17 Rem.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Using a kinetic bullet puller on the .17 Rem.

Post by GQshayne » 23 Sep 2019, 7:24 pm

I made up some blanks to test OAL today, and figured I would just pull the projectiles out of the cases when done to re-use them. Nope!!! Had the kinetic puller for about 30 years, so I reckon I know how to use it. At least I thought I did. :roll:

They are tight, and do not want to budge. I can sacrifice the projectiles, but would rather not unless I have to. Cases are expensive, so need to look after those.

Any tips???? Heating the case a bit with a gas torch, or putting the lot in the freezer before putting them back in the puller????

Any thoughts appreciated.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Using a kinetic bullet puller on the .17 Rem.

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2019, 7:35 pm

sacrifice the projectiles by putting the cases into your press without a die in it, raise the ram bringing the case to the top of the press and hold the projectile with a pair of pliers while lowering the ram, the bullet should come out, it sounds like a bit of over tension in the neck :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Sep 2019, 7:35 pm

I’m guessing the lack of weight in a little 17 cal pill is not enough to counter the neck tension. There is a thing in engineering called interference fit which generally relates to a turned metal item fitting perfectly inside a bored cylinder. I tried it at home by cooling items in a freezer but it did not work. One of my occasional employees was a fitter and turner ...he told me the fridge / freezer does not work because it’s not cold enough. He said that occasionally when interference fit was required some bloke used to turn up with liquid nitrogen. And that supposed ly works. So it looks like the fridge might not work for you. If u are prepared to sacrifice the projectiles can u grip them with pliers and slowly twist them out ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2019, 8:17 am

The coeficient of expansion of brass, lead and copper will be very close. So freezer is unlikely to work. I would still try one though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2019, 8:40 am

Not enough inertia in the bullet, just pull them with pliers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2019, 2:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m guessing the lack of weight in a little 17 cal pill is not enough to counter the neck tension. There is a thing in engineering called interference fit which generally relates to a turned metal item fitting perfectly inside a bored cylinder. I tried it at home by cooling items in a freezer but it did not work. One of my occasional employees was a fitter and turner ...he told me the fridge / freezer does not work because it’s not cold enough. He said that occasionally when interference fit was required some bloke used to turn up with liquid nitrogen. And that supposed ly works. So it looks like the fridge might not work for you. If u are prepared to sacrifice the projectiles can u grip them with pliers and slowly twist them out ?

I have installed many, many bearings simply by leaving them in the freezer overnight and heating the housing with a heat gun - the frozen bearings fall straight into place.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Sep 2019, 8:24 pm

Don't use pliers. Use one of those electricians crimping tools,the flat cheap ones with the different size wire stripper holes. Works a treat,and you ought to be able to reuse the pills
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Sep 2019, 8:30 pm

bigpete wrote:Don't use pliers. Use one of those electricians crimping tools,the flat cheap ones with the different size wire stripper holes. Works a treat,and you ought to be able to reuse the pills

never thought of that one :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Sep 2019, 10:48 pm

marksman wrote:
bigpete wrote:Don't use pliers. Use one of those electricians crimping tools,the flat cheap ones with the different size wire stripper holes. Works a treat,and you ought to be able to reuse the pills

never thought of that one :thumbsup:

You n me both...!!
Wish id heard of that before i bought a grip n pull... :roll:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 25 Sep 2019, 7:34 am

Yes it can be done with a typical RCBS style plastic bullet puller and I have done it.
You need to strike a strong solid blow.
The puller must strike squarely onto the surface you are hitting.
The surface you are hitting must be steel and have a lot of inertia.
For example, the anvil part of a 6" vice or a 1/2" steel plate sitting on concrete.
The plastic construction of the puller already cushions the blow somewhat and that added to the 'give' in a timber table or even a light construction steel bench is what makes pulling very light projectiles difficult.
If in the end you can't make it work sacrifice the projectiles as others have indicated.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 25 Sep 2019, 7:23 pm

straightshooter wrote:Yes it can be done with a typical RCBS style plastic bullet puller and I have done it.
For example, the anvil part of a 6" vice or a 1/2" steel plate sitting on concrete.
The plastic construction of the puller already cushions the blow somewhat and that added to the 'give' in a timber table or even a light construction steel bench is what makes pulling very light projectiles difficult.
If in the end you can't make it work sacrifice the projectiles as others have indicated.

After 30 years or more, I reckon I have it worked out. But not with the .17!! :problem: Projectiles are just too light I think.

A couple of good suggestions above though, so I will see how I go. Be nice to be able to re-use projectiles though, as occasionally we need to remove them for whatever reason.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2019, 7:43 pm

straightshooter wrote:Yes it can be done with a typical RCBS style plastic bullet puller and I have done it.

I use a 5kg ingot of bullet alloy as the anvil.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 25 Sep 2019, 9:53 pm

I too have tried it on the 17 Hornet and yes that little pill takes a bit of removing as there is so little weight in the projectile. You really have to smash that hammer into the concrete.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2019, 9:54 pm

RCBS makes a pretty good bullet puller.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2019, 9:56 pm

RCBS makes a pretty good bullet puller.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Sep 2019, 5:27 am

GQshayne wrote:I made up some blanks to test OAL today, and figured I would just pull the projectiles out of the cases when done to re-use them. Nope!!! Had the kinetic puller for about 30 years, so I reckon I know how to use it. At least I thought I did. :roll:

They are tight, and do not want to budge. I can sacrifice the projectiles, but would rather not unless I have to. Cases are expensive, so need to look after those.

Any tips???? Heating the case a bit with a gas torch, or putting the lot in the freezer before putting them back in the puller????

Any thoughts appreciated.

If the cases are deprimed, try adding water though the flash hole (about 3/4 full) then use your kinetic puller as normal. Wieght of water will push projies out. If not deprimed then you could probably pick the primers out with a steel probe.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Sep 2019, 6:11 am

[/quote]
If the cases are deprimed, try adding water though the flash hole (about 3/4 full) then use your kinetic puller as normal. Wieght of water will push projies out. If not deprimed then you could probably pick the primers out with a steel probe.[/quote]

Now thats using your noggin.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 26 Sep 2019, 7:16 pm

Not a bad idea, they aren't primed, so worth a try when I get around to it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MrSavage » 28 Sep 2019, 8:46 am

I recommend binning the kinetic and getting one of the forster collet style ones.
I do a lot of reloading for benchrest and found this one is fantastic.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bullet-pullers/

The bullets come out perfect every time.
Great for plastic tipped which don't get bent like in the kinetic.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Sep 2019, 6:36 pm

They would be the best option for sure.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2019, 8:12 pm

MrSavage wrote:I recommend binning the kinetic and getting one of the forster collet style ones.
I do a lot of reloading for benchrest and found this one is fantastic.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bullet-pullers/

The bullets come out perfect every time.
Great for plastic tipped which don't get bent like in the kinetic.

Yep, I have the RCBS version.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition