Winchester pistol primers any good?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Winchester pistol primers any good?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 30 Sep 2019, 6:24 am

Got a mate heading down to brissy who can pick me up some stuff from one of the big shops, primers are alot cheaper down there so thinking of getting 5000, I've only ever used CCI, I don't even know why its just what I've always used. The winchesters are bloody cheap, are they as good as the cci's? I think I've been told they are a bit softer but that shouldnt be a problem for me
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Winchester pistol primers any good?

Post by Blr243 » 30 Sep 2019, 6:51 am

S and b large rifle primers are the only brand I truly avoid I had 2 or 3 fail in the field when I had feral pigs lined up and this happened over a 2 day period
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Sep 2019, 8:17 am

Use rifle primers if you are loading for rifle cases, they are only $50 dearer for 5000 than the pistol primer in any case. Use a Magnum primer if you think the standard primer cup is too soft. You may have to adjust your load to suit.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by DownunderDutchman » 30 Sep 2019, 8:43 am

I tend to use CCI primers but have used Winchester for rifle/pistol cases, and yet to have a dud/fail with Winchester primers. I am located in a small country town and the gunshop in town stocks both, CCI is always my first choice, but if the price is right I gladly go with Winchester.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 Sep 2019, 9:07 am

I use winnie primers in my 1892 32/20 and 1894CB 32H&R. I've had one hang-fire in around 1000 rounds.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2019, 1:49 pm

I have been using Winchester primers in pistol and rifle, large and small, for years as my 1st preference before Remington. Have used well over 100,000 without a problem, These get used in everything from a Snider to a Howa 1500, 1895 Colt to Colt 1911, Beretta 92FS and a Webley. If the price is right, go for it, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 30 Sep 2019, 3:41 pm

Good to know cheers blokes, these will be for my 44-40 rifle and 45colt pistols. I just thought I'd check since i haven't used them before purely because I have never had any issues with cci and locally they are the same price
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2019, 5:26 pm

Blr243 wrote:S and b large rifle primers are the only brand I truly avoid I had 2 or 3 fail in the field when I had feral pigs lined up and this happened over a 2 day period

Sheesh, i just bought 2000! Bugger. Guess Ill survive though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 30 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Blr243 wrote:S and b large rifle primers are the only brand I truly avoid I had 2 or 3 fail in the field when I had feral pigs lined up and this happened over a 2 day period

Sheesh, i just bought 2000! Bugger. Guess Ill survive though.

I’ve used thousands of the S&B and yet to have fail to go bang. I actually prefer using the S&B to other brands. But that might just be me.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 01 Oct 2019, 11:29 am

I use winchester large pistol primers in my 45 colt revolvers and lever action with no problems.
I've switched to federal small in my 686 as I had a trigger job done and the winchester are harder which would not always go bang.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition