Detonating a primer with hand priming tool

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Detonating a primer with hand priming tool

Post by butiwanna » 20 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

Hi all,

Just one for curiosity sake here.

Anyone know of a primer being set off while putting it in the shell with a hand priming tool?

I'm not out to do anything stupid, just curious if it can happen?

Thanks.
.25-06 Remington Savage Model 111
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44
butiwanna
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Detonating a primer with hand priming tool

Post by Guliver » 20 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

I know of a primer going off in a progressive press and shooting the rest of the primers out of the feed tube.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 20 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

unless your priming with a hammer,,then no
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

Of course is possible, it even says so in the instructions. You be wise to aim the case away from you and where some glasses.

Some brands of hand primer tools specifically say to avoid certain brands of primers because the cups are softer and more prone to being accidentally set off.

That said I was seated over 10,000 primers since I started shooting and I've never had one go off.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 20 Feb 2014, 5:17 pm

Anything possible, but in this case unlikely. Millions of brass getting primed over and over without incident.

There has been a picture or two going around with some story off "primer blew up in this guys face, check out the scars, blah blah..."

Called out to be fake though.

Not sure if that's what prompted you to ask?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 20 Feb 2014, 6:07 pm

Norton wrote:Anything possible, but in this case unlikely. Millions of brass getting primed over and over without incident.

There has been a picture or two going around with some story off "primer blew up in this guys face, check out the scars, blah blah..."

Lee specifically warn you not to seat federal primers using their priming tool because of the chance of a primer going off.

It's up to you of course but I would never suggest there was no chance of a primer going off and I always protect myself be pointing the case in a safe direction

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 20 Feb 2014, 6:17 pm

I suppose they have to say that stuff for liability. You know how they love to sue each other at the drop of a hat in the states :lol:

God forbid something actually goes wrong and isn't just some imagined slight. Then you're really in for it...
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by DaleH » 20 Feb 2014, 6:25 pm

There was an example on another Aussie forum of a member having one go off in a hand priming unit - there was some burn marks on his hand, he was wearing glasses so no effect there but his ears were wringing and his wife couldn't get the stains out of his undies....

My father had a primer feed tube go off on his progressive press - he was already deaf anyway and the primer feed tube guard protected him and the machine from damage - tube was stuffed though!
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

DaleH wrote:There was an example on another Aussie forum of a member having one go off in a hand priming unit - there was some burn marks on his hand, he was wearing glasses so no effect there but his ears were wringing and his wife couldn't get the stains out of his undies....

My father had a primer feed tube go off on his progressive press - he was already deaf anyway and the primer feed tube guard protected him and the machine from damage - tube was stuffed though!

Happened to a mate too, Dillon press. All the primers went off and the primer tube got lodged in the ceiling. Chain reaction

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by horter » 20 Feb 2014, 8:29 pm

Bet that gave him a shock :lol:

Not like a gun shot, but I imagine they've got a bit of volume to them by themselves, especially in a chain...
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 21 Feb 2014, 7:11 am

horter wrote:Bet that gave him a shock :lol:

Not like a gun shot, but I imagine they've got a bit of volume to them by themselves, especially in a chain...

Not as much oaf shock as the owner of the house and the press got when he came running in to see what happened. LOL

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 21 Feb 2014, 7:31 am

And then you've gotta explain to the bloke you weren't doing anything wrong, and you just know he doesn't believe you :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by butiwanna » 12 Mar 2014, 10:44 am

Norton wrote:There has been a picture or two going around with some story off "primer blew up in this guys face, check out the scars, blah blah..."

Probably the same thing we are talking about.

I saw a picture as above, but got explained that the guy in it had more likely been glassed and nothing to do with reloading.
.25-06 Remington Savage Model 111
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44
butiwanna
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition