Start Wet Tumbling

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Start Wet Tumbling

Post by wooosaah » 01 Oct 2019, 11:56 am

I would like to switch to wet tumbling and from looking around just want to clarify is a rotary case tumbler = a wet tumbler?
I reload pistol cases and would be doing 100-300 at a time generally, any recommendations on which tumbler? I see some are $300-$500 and don't know if that would be necessary.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Start Wet Tumbling

Post by deanp100 » 01 Oct 2019, 12:59 pm

There is another thread on tumbling somewhere with some good info. I bought a cheap Chinese one off eBay for $60 bucks and it goes great. 20 mins a load sees it done.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 01 Oct 2019, 1:24 pm

depends what you wish to spend like this one
http://www.brass-tumbler.com
I have seen people use a concret mixer too .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Oct 2019, 1:52 pm

As Dean mentioned, get a 3 or 5kg eBay one, cheapest option that works, get pins from Aussie saphire and possibly their burnishing compound.

There are a lot of recipes of the stuff to put into the tumbler you will need to try as some keep the shine others don't.

A friend who has one reckons you need full load of brass otherwise they don't get cleaned as well.

Or you could also use an ultrasound
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 01 Oct 2019, 5:22 pm

I use a bit of wax car wash and a tiny amount of tartaric acid, maybe half a teaspoon in the 4kg tub and use the steel ball bearings that came with it. Fill completely with brass and water and go for 20-30 mins. I pat dry in a towel after a good fresh rinse and when basically dry give a spray with wd40 and another bit of a jiggle in the towel. This holds a good shine. I have used too much acid and got a pink tone to the brass, but a fabulous shine . Without a coating of some sort this tarnished in minutes. I now use more tumbling time and less chemical and am happy with the results. Mine aren’t as good as brand new brass but are clean , smooth and shiny.
It is quite therapeutic turning tarnished s**t into shiny stuff.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Oct 2019, 7:04 pm

I’ve got a cheap 5kg eBay special and it works fantastic and comes with spare consumables.
I’m doing away with my ultrasound washer / heater - it just doesn’t do enough for the work needed to set it up etc...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition