Forming Brass Question...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Forming Brass Question...

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 10:08 am

I'm new to brass forming world. Using brass that I have formed, it's tight when locking up. I believe headspacing is extremely tight, being particularly bad on some brands of brass such as Lapua. QUESTION: will the headspace correct/decrease after the first fire-forming?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Forming Brass Question...

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Oct 2019, 10:18 am

Not sure i understand.

You first form a case by firing it in your chamber, so it takes the same dimensions. So it shouldn't be hard to chamber For the first time Around. Eventually it may grow a little after multiple firings and if you are only neck sizing ie grow by 1 or 2 or 3 thousandth of an inch. And may start to get harder to chamber. That's when people will FLS or bump the shoulder back

The headspace of the rifle doesn't normally change
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 06 Oct 2019, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Oct 2019, 10:18 am

What brass are you starting with and what are you trying to form it into? I have bought 308 Lapua brass and had to resize it slightly pushing the shoulder back a few thou increasing headspace so that it would fit my chamber without any tightness to close the bolt.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 10:34 am

Ziad wrote:Not sure i understand.

You first form a case by firing it in your chamber, so it takes the same dimensions. So it shouldn't be hard to chamber For the first time Around. Eventually it may grow a little after multiple firings and if you are only neck sizing ie grow by 1 or 2 or 3 thousandth of an inch. And may start to get harder to chamber. That's when people will FLS or bump the shoulder back

The headspace of the rifle doesn't normally change

I’m referring to forming new brass - 223 down to 300aac. The brass is still virgin.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 10:34 am

sungazer wrote:What brass are you starting with and what are you trying to form it into? I have bought 308 Lapua brass and had to resize it slightly pushing the shoulder back a few thou increasing headspace so that it would fit my chamber without any tightness to close the bolt.

How does one go about “bumping the shoulder back” when the die is already in contact with the shell-holder?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 10:41 am

I think I have my answer- i’ll grind a layer off the shell holder - I have a few spare #4s. Key search term "shoulder bumping" opened the door for me - thanks sungazer :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 Oct 2019, 11:53 am

You should not have to grind a shell holder back they normally over size. The Redding competition shell holders are a set of 5 shell holders that start at +2 thou thicker than a standard shell holder and they go up in increments of 2 thou the largest being +10 thou thicker than the standard shell holder.

I would be double checking everything before going down that route as it is most likely something else. It is only going to be needed if something else like your chamber is actually a bit small. In that case the use of the go no gauges would show that. If the barrel is just newly chambered go back and have a chat to the gunsmith.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 06 Oct 2019, 1:36 pm

in2anity wrote:I'm new to brass forming world. Using brass that I have formed, it's tight when locking up. I believe headspacing is extremely tight, being particularly bad on some brands of brass such as Lapua. QUESTION: will the headspace correct/decrease after the first fire-forming?

you will find that different brands have different thickness eg lapua, the reason why it isn't recommended for some wildcats eg.. 6mm slr
but to answer your question:"will the headspace correct/decrease after the first fire-forming"
you will find that the cases should fit easier after fireforming them, just be sure you have enough neck clearance, I am sure you would have turned the necks

a mate who makes these cases recons you should use the thinner brass brands eg.. win because he said that they are more consistent in wall thickness
he doesn't turn his necks but isn't to worried about it being a one holer as it is used for short distance
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 2:02 pm

sungazer wrote:You should not have to grind a shell holder back they normally over size. The Redding competition shell holders are a set of 5 shell holders that start at +2 thou thicker than a standard shell holder and they go up in increments of 2 thou the largest being +10 thou thicker than the standard shell holder.

I would be double checking everything before going down that route as it is most likely something else. It is only going to be needed if something else like your chamber is actually a bit small. In that case the use of the go no gauges would show that. If the barrel is just newly chambered go back and have a chat to the gunsmith.

So I ground down one of my #4s only to realize this is irrelevant - the die never reached the holder anyway :thumbsdown: so I figured OSA must be thicker than ADI because the ADI brass locks up better after a FL resize. I figured I could polish the inside of my spare lee FL die to make the ram drop a little lower (and in theory bump the shoulder just a tad more), but now it doesn't lock up at all. Think I've royally screwed my lee die :lol:
Last edited by in2anity on 06 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm

marksman wrote:
in2anity wrote:I'm new to brass forming world. Using brass that I have formed, it's tight when locking up. I believe headspacing is extremely tight, being particularly bad on some brands of brass such as Lapua. QUESTION: will the headspace correct/decrease after the first fire-forming?

you will find that different brands have different thickness eg lapua, the reason why it isn't recommended for some wildcats eg.. 6mm slr
but to answer your question:"will the headspace correct/decrease after the first fire-forming"
you will find that the cases should fit easier after fireforming them, just be sure you have enough neck clearance, I am sure you would have turned the necks

a mate who makes these cases recons you should use the thinner brass brands eg.. win because he said that they are more consistent in wall thickness
he doesn't turn his necks but isn't to worried about it being a one holer as it is used for short distance

Yeah I'm not turning them, nor am I really interested in that sort of commitment. This is more an experiment than anything anyway - I have a heap of jagemann brass that seems to be surviving remarkably well; the blackout through a bolt gun seems very gentle on brass.

And yeah, it's far from a one holer; it won't shoot better than 1" on the best of days.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

At least the Lee dies arent that expensive. You arent the only one that has fked something up in the quest. Just put it down to educational expenses. :) Back to Youtube to find the guy that has the right information on converting the brass. Sorry I cant help with the blackout process. I did watch a Utube vid once on it myself and thats it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 4:53 pm

I tell you what - without neck turning, there's no chance of locking up tikka or sako brass, must be thick stuff :lol:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2019, 5:05 pm

Actually disregard what I said about the shell holder reduction being irrelevant - going back to a pristine #4 shell holder really does see the holder as the limiting factor - on the contrary the one I ground down by 15thou is enabling me to bump the shoulder on ADI, OSA brass, and with a squeeze even Lapua. My trim tool had crept out which was confusing the situation.

Tikka and Sako brass on the other hand - no chance. Need to turn those (which I won't be doing :lol: ).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition