Slowest burning powder available in Aus

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Slowest burning powder available in Aus

Post by Sionso » 08 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

Is there a powder available in Aus that is slower than AR2218?
I'm trying to hunt down WC872 or slower. Something suitable for 20mm... (any 20mm suitable loads are fine IF the powder is available in Aus). Current problem is AR2218 doesn't take up enough space in the case and i really domt want a flash over in that size.
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Slowest burning powder available in Aus

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Oct 2019, 9:10 pm

Would VV 20N29 work for you?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 08 Oct 2019, 9:19 pm

According to the ADI powder equivalence table, VV 20N29 is the equivalent of AR2218. Not sure that it would work any better.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 08 Oct 2019, 10:50 pm

I am as dumb as a post but even I can smell a troll.20mm are you for real
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2019, 5:11 am

Sionso wrote:Is there a powder available in Aus that is slower than AR2218?
I'm trying to hunt down WC872 or slower. Something suitable for 20mm... (any 20mm suitable loads are fine IF the powder is available in Aus). Current problem is AR2218 doesn't take up enough space in the case and i really domt want a flash over in that size.

Maybe use a filler medium to occupy the space.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sionso » 09 Oct 2019, 5:52 am

duncan61 wrote:I am as dumb as a post but even I can smell a troll.20mm are you for real

Why not? If you can have .700NE, 14.5mm, 20/50, why not have '.78Super' (percussion primed 20x110). NT and Vic are generally fine with large cal rifles.
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 09 Oct 2019, 7:25 am

Sionso wrote:
duncan61 wrote:I am as dumb as a post but even I can smell a troll.20mm are you for real

Why not? If you can have .700NE, 14.5mm, 20/50, why not have '.78Super' (percussion primed 20x110). NT and Vic are generally fine with large cal rifles.

Seeking such a slow burning powder for a .78 implies it is not simply a glorified metallic cased 12 gauge but something with a magnum sized case capacity to bore ratio more along the lines of some kind of 20mm cannon.
Any sanely dimensioned man usable .78 would require much faster powders.
Or it could be that you have limited understanding of what you are talking about, hence the question posed.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2019, 7:59 am

straightshooter wrote:
Sionso wrote:

Seeking such a slow burning powder for a .78 implies it is not simply a glorified metallic cased 12 gauge but something with a magnum sized case capacity to bore ratio more along the lines of some kind of 20mm cannon.
Or it could be that you have limited understanding of what you are talking about, hence the question posed.

I think he is talking about the 20mm cannon round, but replacing the electrical primer with percussion. It fires a 1700gn shell at 3300fps or so. I'd be very surprised if this were legal anywhere in Oz.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Oct 2019, 10:01 am

G'day Sionso,
In regard to your original question, no, there is no slower powder readily available to the reloader here in Aus. You will need to use AR2218 with a filler of some kind if you are concerned with double detonation, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sionso » 09 Oct 2019, 2:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Sionso wrote:Is there a powder available in Aus that is slower than AR2218?

Maybe use a filler medium to occupy the space.

That was my last resort plan, looks like the only option unless I pull a few of my old cannon shells apart.
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sionso » 09 Oct 2019, 2:37 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Sionso,
In regard to your original question, no, there is no slower powder readily available to the reloader here in Aus. You will need to use AR2218 with a filler of some kind if you are concerned with double detonation, Cheers

Thank you for answering the question! :drinks:
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sionso » 09 Oct 2019, 2:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
straightshooter wrote:
Sionso wrote:

I think he is talking about the 20mm cannon round, but replacing the electrical primer with percussion. It fires a 1700gn shell at 3300fps or so. I'd be very surprised if this were legal anywhere in Oz.

Correct, both people i talked to at LRD couldn't see any issues with it as long as it wasn't a military cannon round (which technically it isn't).
Sionso
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2019, 5:37 pm

Sionso wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
straightshooter wrote:
Sionso wrote:

Correct, both people i talked to at LRD couldn't see any issues with it as long as it wasn't a military cannon round (which technically it isn't).

Why do they consider it not to be a military cannon round?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Oct 2019, 7:30 pm

Cause it’s pink?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Oct 2019, 8:57 am

G'day bladeracer,
20mm is considered ammunition under UN Class 1.4s, it is approved by LRD for small arms ammo collectors to possess without being rendered inert. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Oct 2019, 9:02 am

PS: For the formal - minded, info is in the Act, Sch 2, S.7, Sub-Sect (3), para (a) of V.82, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2019, 9:54 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
20mm is considered ammunition under UN Class 1.4s, it is approved by LRD for small arms ammo collectors to possess without being rendered inert. Cheers.

I wasn't asking about the ammo. I'm asking why the Police would consider a military cannon round to not be a military cannon round.

To to OP, have you had a PtA approved for a firearm in this chambering?

But, regarding the ammo, can you collect live ammo that has explosive warheads?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Oct 2019, 10:29 am

There is a big difference to being allowed to own the ammo under a collectors license. Factory and historical. But to reload the round implies that the round is being shot. This I think is well outside what is covered under the small arms.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2019, 5:14 pm

suspicious.jpg
suspicious.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition