Primer Pocket tools

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Primer Pocket tools

Post by Stix » 14 Oct 2019, 2:44 pm

Are there different primer pocket tools for reaming out the pockets...(i dont mean cleaning them)......?

I have a K&M primer pocket uniformer that seems to only do the depth...

Some pockets are still "tight" when it comes to seating primers, & others loose--this is despite me being ultra careful of the way i use it...
Infact, with the tight pockets, it seems to bind up on the edges & takes many attempts to ream out to a uniform depth.

Are there other ones that do the walls as well...?

Whats the go..'....what do all you case prep guru's use...?... :unknown:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Primer Pocket tools

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2019, 2:57 pm

you have a good one Stix (the K&M) and they do only do depth

when you say "Some pockets are still "tight" when it comes to seating primers, & others loose--" are these fired cases :unknown:
it is good to be tight in the primer pocket :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Stix wrote:Are there different primer pocket tools for reaming out the pockets...(i dont mean cleaning them)......?

I have a K&M primer pocket uniformer that seems to only do the depth...

Some pockets are still "tight" when it comes to seating primers, & others loose--this is despite me being ultra careful of the way i use it...
Infact, with the tight pockets, it seems to bind up on the edges & takes many attempts to ream out to a uniform depth.

Are there other ones that do the walls as well...?

Whats the go..'....what do all you case prep guru's use...?... :unknown:

:drinks:

I've used a few different ones until I bought one that a guy on Ebay made, now it's the only one I use. I put it in the drill press and cut the pockets to depth, I don't think I'd want to take any metal out of the side though.

I use a hand primer and haven't had any trouble with varying pocket tensions, nothing bad enough to be noticed anyway. Any tool maker should be able to make you a tool to do the side if you really want to. I think all it would do would be to reduce case life though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 14 Oct 2019, 3:14 pm

Stix, I imagine these might be your new cases. My advice is leave them alone, they will soon loosen up. There is an RCBS Primer Pocket Reamer, actually there are two, one will only do the base to depth the other will ream the leading edge as in cut off any primer pocket crimp plus it will ream the sides but not touch the bottom of the pocket.
As long as you can seat primers without damaging them then leave well enough alone. As I said they will loosen up after a firing or few. Better tight primer pockets than loose and face the damage from a blow by and pitting your bolt face.
You may notice that your K&M Primer Pocket Uniformer on some is tight to use, it will actually cut a little as it seats itself down in the pocket.
I'm sure BR from down in Mexico will have some smart advice for you too, follow your gut feeling on what is best.
Opps, he already has...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Oct 2019, 7:08 pm

I use my K&M reamer to clean my pockets. In Lapua press it never seems to have to take any brass away.

I didn't realise you liked pushing buttons Apollo.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2019, 8:07 pm

When you start receiving flack you know your over the target :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Oct 2019, 8:14 pm

marksman wrote:you have a good one Stix (the K&M) and they do only do depth

when you say "Some pockets are still "tight" when it comes to seating primers, & others loose--" are these fired cases :unknown:
it is good to be tight in the primer pocket :thumbsup:
Thanks guys...!!

By "Tight"...i mean...

When im doing them (with a cordless) no matter how slow & gentle i insert the cutter tool into the pocket, it will bind up on the wall of the pocket & almost rip the case out of your hand...

When it comes to seating them...yes they are tight both on some new cases, as well as still tight on cases that have been fired.

Ive got pretty tough hands & thick skin, yet if i seat 100 primers in fully prepped cases, ill end up with blisters... :crazy:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Nov 2019, 11:13 pm

Finally...

Two hundred n' fifty flash holes, & the same amount of primer pockets...all done...
Dear lord im glad thats done... :|
Here is some "trimmings"...
2019-11-13 23.39.12.jpg
2019-11-13 23.39.12.jpg (548.42 KiB) Viewed 2765 times

Doubt i could work on a factory line...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 14 Nov 2019, 1:24 am

I use a Lyman case prep machine, works pretty good.

The amount of case prep involved with rifle brass is probably why I shoot more pistol cartridges than rifle.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Nov 2019, 6:48 am

Wow, that is some brass there. How deep do the primer cups sit once they are seated?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2019, 8:40 am

A case prep machine would be nice...

Doing those primer pockets on a small lathe with some kind of quick release chuck/case holder would be the go...
It was painful...!!

Settle down scj...!!
Ive only just finished that step.

Now i have to fl size them all--they are all over the place in shoulder measurement... :roll:

So i dont know how far below--i guess they'll be the same as other ones, just a little below the head level--enough to feel...

How far should they be below...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Nov 2019, 6:20 pm

Two to five thou is good. So just below flush.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2019, 7:22 pm

Ok...ill have to measure when loaded to see what they are...

Id have thought they might be deeper than that as i can easily feel them being set deeper than flush...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 14 Nov 2019, 8:13 pm

as long as they are all cut the same depth they will ignite consistently because they are all the same :drinks:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -accuracy/
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by grumpy308 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:00 pm

Stix. There does appear to be quite an amount of removed brass on the bench. The pockets do look fairly deep and the flash hole quite large. Could you give some measurements on the finished pockets and flash hole diameter and a photo more square on to the head of the case. It may just be the angle of the photo that makes them look a bit deep. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2019, 10:46 pm

Hey Grumpy...

There was a lot of cases there...poss up to 250...
But i was getting a good amount of brass out of some cases... :unknown:

They appear to be .120-.122 deep...only one out of about 10 measured .120...the rest .1215"-.1220"...(i only measured 10)...im not measuring all 250 of em... :crazy: :lol: )

Im sizing them so a bit greasy atm to stop & take pics...will do when i give up for the night...

I did at one stage have a printout of primer pocket depths on the bench but cant find it now...from memory ive checked it & they a=were ok then...
If theyre too deep theyre ruined...cos.they're all done now. :unknown: ..Unless they'll blow my face off, ill shoot em anyway...by the time ive spent on them theyre worth about $10 a bloody case...!!

Ive not altered the depth of the cutter, so all my 204 & 222 (400 in total) brass are cut to this & i havent had any blow back issues or stuffed cases...(where is the 'touch wood' emoji...?)

The way im going with these cases (taking so long) i wont get to shoot it this weekend either ffs...& the weather looks like good load testing weather too...!! :problem:
:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition