Expander mandrel

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Expander mandrel

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 10:38 pm

Ive never used one before...

Using an expander mandrel for the calibre intended...is it necessary to use a wet lube/wax, or can you use dry lube like graphite...?

Here's what im doing...
I have some 22-250 cases that have been neck sized in a wobble die & primed ready to go, & i want to try the collet die...i dont want to use a wet lube to avoid wet tumbling them so i can use the primers/not have to knock them out...

So wondering if im ok to use graphite on them to open them (the necks) back up...?

And...

Do i need a 6mm mandrel to do this properly, or will a 22 mandrel do what i want it to do...?...(i dont have a 6mm mandrel--only a 7mm & 22 cal).

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Expander mandrel

Post by Apollo » 20 Oct 2019, 11:20 pm

This is what I use to expand necks to fit properly over a neck turning mandrel. In your case to expand slightly over size like they have been fired and before sizing. You can use a sizing wax and clean out the neck with solvent to remove any residue sizing wax or you can dip them into graphite.

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... ndrel.html

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... apter.html

And I use this so I can see where the case is sitting adjusted to on the expander mandrel.

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... apter.html

Is this what you are talking about...??

The screw on the bottom is just an adjustable stop so you don't wind the adapter down far enough to damage the neck. Some calibres are only just oversize so some bullets are still a snug fit in the case neck but they will iron out any dents or expand enough to get you die button into the neck without damage. You will have to remove the depriming pin. Hang on, isn't the depriming pin part of the mandrel in a Lee Collet Die....if so, can't see how you are going to do it without knocking the primer out as well...I'm too lazy and it too late to go searching for keys to open my reloading cupboard up.

What is a "wobble die"... Dies don't normally wobble unless you use the trick of using a Lee O Ring to float a die making it more concentric for reloading.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Oct 2019, 5:54 am

The collet die has a decapping pin built in.... are you grinding it off?

Just deprime resize and prime..... simpler and cheaper option

Btw what is wobble die. Sorry
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Oct 2019, 7:00 am

You have probably moved the brass around a fair bit the first time you resized it. No point trying to adjust the neck tension now. Just fill them up with powder and seat a pill and fire them off. Then you can use your collet die

I use the Imperial sizing wax and then clean it back out again with Cotten buds. Don't tell the Mrs I am stealing her Cotten buds.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Oct 2019, 8:31 am

Yes Apollo...& Ziad...you're right...!!

The decapping pin is fixed...derr...!!! :roll:

I wonder if its worthwhile to buy snother mandrel & cut the pin orf of one...or get a uni decapping die...

eobble die is a die that uses a expander ball to open the neck back up...
They're rarely concentric for some reason--if you loosen the lock ring, turn it upside down & turn the mandrel/stem, youll see the expander ball doing circles.
If you lock it off, you'll often see them not centered...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Oct 2019, 8:47 am

SCJ429 wrote:You have probably moved the brass around a fair bit the first time you resized it. No point trying to adjust the neck tension now. Just fill them up with powder and seat a pill and fire them off. Then you can use your collet die

I use the Imperial sizing wax and then clean it back out again with Cotten buds. Don't tell the Mrs I am stealing her Cotten buds.

Will re-doing the necks be vastly different to the neck tension from shooting them off...?...the neck is still being worked is it not...?
(Im asking-not being smart... :) )

The reason i want to do it is i will just be wasting time (i wont get these fired off & new loads worked out this side of xmas) & wasting consumables by shooting them off, which is why im asking &i rather start new load testing with them sized in the collet...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 21 Oct 2019, 9:51 am

Stix wrote:I wonder if its worthwhile to buy snother mandrel & cut the pin orf of one...or get a uni decapping die...

wobble die is a die that uses a expander ball to open the neck back up...
They're rarely concentric for some reason--if you loosen the lock ring, turn it upside down & turn the mandrel/stem, youll see the expander ball doing circles.
If you lock it off, you'll often see them not centered...

You are probably better off getting another mandrel and cutting the decapping pin off. At least you don't have to pull the whole die apart to do so, just take the top cap off and swap pins. You can probably do that without even taking the die out of the press.

"wobble die"... Okay, but some dies don't do that, The decapping stem and expander are pretty much in the center. Some dies don't have a button but a longer tapered expander and a thicker stem. Now, which ones they are I can't remember but a quick look in the cupboard and without pulling dies apart, RCBS have a small button but Redding, Forster and Hornady don't. As best I can tell with a torch.

I have seen what you describe with my RCBS Dies and from memory I pulled the whole stem out, took off everything and rolled the stem over a flat surface to make sure it wasn't bent in any way, if so fixed the out of round. Also from memory I moved the whole stem around whilst the locking nut was just loose enough to rotate the stem then found the best center before locking the stem.

Actually, there would be enough length in that sizing stem to move when you are pulling it back up the neck to size and I doubt very much that it would actually pull the neck off center especially if the button is lubricated properly. Don't know if you have one but if you have a concentricity gauge you can check case necks yourself with and without the expander ball installed. Check case neck runout and also case runout just past the shoulder on the main body.

Now you know why many use Bushing Dies and those that have an expander they remove it. Also why the Lee Collet Die is the next best to a Bushing Die as both produce good case concentricity.

Okay, been into the reloading locker. I only have one RCBS Die Set and that is the only one with the loose (off center) decaping stem. The Redding Sets are completely different and stronger in their design. I checked a half dozen sets and in each there are two with decapping stems (Full & Neck Dies) all of which are pretty much dead in center and don't change when rotating the main stem.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Oct 2019, 10:33 am

Ahh makes sense. I was told to remove the expander button on my type s dies....i do want to check how much of any difference between collet and type s.... one day

My suggestion.... angle grind the decapping pin. And get a universal decapping die. (An added benefit That way your dies don't get dirty.)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by cirles » 21 Oct 2019, 10:57 am

I use an expander mandrel (actually a turning arbour) & die from 21 Century for expanding duties of the neck (used with a bushing die with expander button removed) & they indicated that graphite is fine to use for its operation (which they do - guess with the added advantage of no need for cleaning of neck area).
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by olly_2001 » 14 Dec 2019, 9:04 pm

I upsize my 6.5 x 284 Lapua brass to 7mm.
You need a lot of wax and many cotton buds as mentioned as they get dirty quickly.
Your small brass may be easier but I really have to be committed in my elbow arc otherwise is doesn’t go through first time and so messing the neck. I don’t enjoy it to be honest but it only needs done once a year
Brno 22, Anschutz 22WMR, Tikka 223 Rem / 243W, Sako 300 WSM, Montana ASR 300WSM,
Barnard 223 Rem / 284W 7mm F-Class
olly_2001
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition