Lee hand priming tool - I’m getting pizzed

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee hand priming tool - I’m getting pizzed

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2019, 5:17 am

Zappa wrote:priming on a drill press , possible without fireworks ?

Great idea
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Dec 2019, 7:07 am

It could be done but I think it would be slow and fiddly. The hand primers are cheap they keep all or most of the primers in one place.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 04 Dec 2019, 8:35 am

I started with the Lee hand primer out of the cheap Lee Breech lock press kit. It worked ok. But my mate had the RCBS hand primer which I preferred. I find it pretty easy to swap between small and larger primer. But I mainly run small primer (6.5 creed, 6.5 Grendel, and even 308 (I also have large primer cases for 308)

The other primer tool I have is the Forester Co ax bench mounted primer tool which I do my 223,204 and now 222 on as all same case head. I really like it.

The top my of Co Ax press also does priming. Which I do 303 on. I only usually do 20 rounds at a time so I just leave it set to do 303. Works for me
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 04 Dec 2019, 9:00 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Great idea

Never know when OldBloke is serious. :)

Kids dont try this at home... unless you have the camera rolling and can post on youtube.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2019, 9:41 pm

Zappa wrote:
Never know when OldBloke is serious. :)

Kids dont try this at home... unless you have the camera rolling and can post on youtube.

Im serious, should be ok. Your pressing a primer, not hitting it with a center punch.

Some of the old classic loaders used a hammer and punch.

Place primer on smooth flat surface, facing up.
Place case ontop of primer.
Insert punch into case and tap with nylon or wooden hammer.
Bingo, job done. Not ideal but works.

Remember the primer is designed to go off if hit with a pointy object in the center. It needs to be a firm hit.
Wear safety glasses.

Safer using a drill press
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 05 Dec 2019, 7:30 am

fair enuff.
Not to hijack the OP's thread but does anyone know of a USA dealer that ships reloading bits and accessories to AUS ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 05 Dec 2019, 7:36 am

What bits are you after. I have had exceptional service from Accurate Arms and Ammo www.accuratearmsandammo.com at the time the US$ was not so bad for us and they had the best deals on Redding dies. A strange thing they do is give better prices than are on their website so ask. Shipping was really good and fast. the will also ship via the normal post if the item is small and you ask nicely. they prefer not to do this as the other service is just so good but a bit steep. It is the same practice that most US sellers do on ebay rather than have someone say they didnt get it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Dec 2019, 2:06 pm

Brownells....
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Dec 2019, 2:21 pm

Saying that if you getting let, cheaper and less hassle would be eBay or even your local gunshop
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 05 Dec 2019, 3:46 pm

sungazer wrote:What bits are you after. I have had exceptional service from Accurate Arms and Ammo.

Reloading dies, accessories, magazines, etc. Belts, holsters , pistol bling, pistol and rifle 3rd party action upgrades. Reloading components i can source locally.
cheers
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Dec 2019, 3:17 pm

For all that local only most need permits.. except dies
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Over The Hill » 09 May 2022, 8:41 pm

Ok so does anyone here loading rifle cartridges still use the lee hand primer or the precision auto bench prime 90700. If so what do you think of it. I have loaded countless thousands of pistol rounds in my old lee hand primer (with the round trays) and now getting into more precision loading for the 223 so wondering if an upgrade is necessary. Prob not doing batches more than 50 a time. Does the hand tool get to hard on your hands, do you have enough "feel", does the bench mount provide any significant advantage or is there a better way altogether. I have a Lyman T-Mag press and have used it for rifle priming successfully in the past but I think it might not be sensitive enough for more precision loading as it can be easy to be over exuberant when pressing the primers in. I will still be using the T-Mag for my loading so dont want to invest in a new press or anything expensive hence why I am considering the bench mount priming tool. Appreciate the feedback on what you are using and why
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 09 May 2022, 9:30 pm

The Lee hand primer if it is working then it works really well. Its only if a bit of the plastic chips or breaks do you have a problem. For the price of them I would just keep replacing them as needed.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by wanneroo » 10 May 2022, 12:15 am

I did a review of the RCBS bench mounted priming tool recently on my Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E2gJBSEPQI

After my Lee hand primer started to go on the fritz, I tried some other hand priming tools and wasn't happy with them. Then decided to look at some bench mounted systems and the Lee bench systems had a lot of mixed reviews, so I decided to try the RCBS bench tool and very happy with it. If someone can come up with a better tool than the RCBS I'm happy to look at it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2022, 11:52 am

After 30 yrs of useing the old style lee hand primer I’m not really looking at other options. I like the feel that letsme know what’s goin on in the pockets. It was getting a bit physical on my arthritis thumbs but a little lubrications on the internal s make it a lot easier
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by fxdwg28 » 10 May 2022, 7:28 pm

FIXED mine.... i had a little problem to with mine but fixed it and now i have no problems...

the problem was ..... with the shell holder not being central in the loader..( push down on the adapter ) to let the slide from the try to pass up by the shell holder near the shell holder gap.

hope this may help
hoops
fxdwg28
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 10 May 2022, 9:30 pm

Have used a Lee hand primer for donkeys years loading cartridges from Hornet to 30/06. Never had an issue.

Now I use a couple of different tools, one for small and one for large primers.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by fxdwg28 » 11 May 2022, 12:35 am

g'day ... animalpest ....

i use the ... primer arm ... on my lee press and or my lee hand held ... depending on my mood at the time...

hoops
fxdwg28
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 May 2022, 7:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:After 30 yrs of useing the old style lee hand primer I’m not really looking at other options. I like the feel that letsme know what’s goin on in the pockets. It was getting a bit physical on my arthritis thumbs but a little lubrications on the internal s make it a lot easier

I've had to use both thumbs for Decades, otherwise the only "precaution" I need to take is to rotate my Lee Auto Prime towards the floor, so that the primers slide forward, packing up against the feed-hole. That way there is always a primer waiting to be seated.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 11 May 2022, 8:29 pm

I find that the angle of the device is important. Can't remember how exactly but it jams unless I'm holding it just right. I only load for 338 lapua so not sure if that makes a difference.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 May 2022, 11:24 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I find that the angle of the device is important. Can't remember how exactly but it jams unless I'm holding it just right. I only load for 338 lapua so not sure if that makes a difference.

I find the same I have the triangle primer holder version a later version if it makes any difference I find if I hold it with the shell holder pointing towards the roof at a 45 deg angle it works best. It also allows me to se if the primer is in position and the right way around (the small primers do flip more than the larger ones) if they do before putting a case in the shell holder I slightly close the handle pushing the primer forward so I can flip it with my finger then let the primer release back and then place the case in the shell holder.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Bills Shed » 12 May 2022, 8:15 am

If you want a solid, reliable and well built hand primer get a Sinclair. All stainless, machined and all parts fit properly. It is not tray fed. Sitting on the couch, with the TV on you can knock out a thousand easy. I just sit there with a bowl of primers and a bag of cases.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition