Recommend me a loader

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Recommend me a loader

Post by bones-350 » 23 Nov 2019, 12:19 pm

Zappa wrote:is the Lee single stage breech lock press kit any good ?

Zappa quite a few people don't rate Lee equipment highly. When I began reloading I used Forster Dies thinking Lee was not as good.
Now I swear by Lee equipment. It's so basic and easy for beginners and then it's accuracy in reloading is up there with the top quality stuff.
Dies I found are a lot cheaper ever so repeatable accuracy with Bullet Seater Die COAL {don't use my forster dies as much any more). Neck Sizing Die needs no case lubing.Got myself a Lee Universal Decapping Die (under $25) which I use for decapping all brass. Then tumble the cases that way when I neck or full length size cases are clean and no need to clean dies as often. wish I got the Lee Powder Measure instead of the $100+ one I purchased. You would be surprised how many Pro Target Shooters use Lee equipment to. If I was starting out again I would try Lee First then if I'm not happy with results try the other stuff. Lee stuff is so basic and accurate it makes reloading fun.If i need anything I check Lee first if they don't have it only then I look else where.
You get more bang for your buck with Lee than you could from anyone else.
Last edited by bones-350 on 23 Nov 2019, 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 23 Nov 2019, 1:41 pm

bones-350 wrote:
Zappa quite a few people don't rate Lee equipment highly. When I began reloading I used Forster Dies thinking Lee was not as good.
Now I swear by Lee equipment. It's so basic and easy for beginners and the it's accuracy in reloading is up there with the top quality stuff.
Dies I found are a lot cheaper ever so repeatable accuracy with Bullet Seater Die COAL {don't use my forster dies as much any more). Neck Sizing Die needs no case lubing.Got myself a Lee Universal Decapping Die (under $25) which I use for decapping all brass. Then tumble the cases that way when I neck or full length size cases are clean and no need to clean dies as often. wish I got the Lee Powder Measure instead of the $100+ one I purchased. You would be surprised how many Pro Target Shooters use Lee equipment to. If I was starting out again I would try Lee First then if I'm not happy with results try the other stuff. Lee stuff is so basic and accurate it makes reloading fun.If i need anything I check Lee first if they don't have it only then I look else where.
You get more bang for your buck than you could from anyone else.

+1
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Zappa » 23 Nov 2019, 4:39 pm

bones-350 wrote:Zappa quite a few people don't rate Lee equipment highly. .

Hi bones. Went to my local dealer to check out the Lee and wasn't disappointed. While it lacks some quality over the Dillon, Hornady and RCBS , I think it's fit for purpose and will do the job for 200-300 rounds per week.
Most of the problems I hear are primer feeds, indexing and the powder dispenser, potentially spilling powder from its side cams.

For $400 plus another $100 for tidbits, I reckon I'm placed ok. You dont get much change from $1000 if you go Dillon, et-al. :thumbsup:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 23 Nov 2019, 8:49 pm

Once you think your setup is right you will find some problems but usually it's your assembly that's not quite right.
You will find Lee problems will be simple to solve because of Lee simplicity.
It's great for beginners and good for self confidence when you problem solve. But that's only the easy part done.
Now load development, is another story, not as easy as it's made out to be, I found out.
But it's a great rewarding feeling when you finally find the right recipe. It all comes down to patients and fun.
Affordability and safety gets new people started and they come back here to share their ideas.
Welcome to reloading and looking forward to your experiences in reloading input..
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 24 Nov 2019, 12:55 am

Lee I find can be both really good and really bad. Some of their stuff is well designed and while made with cheaper materials in some cases, will hold up fine over time and will work for reloading. And then some things are just cheap or flimsy and do not go the distance.

In the end I do not have any brand loyalty, I go with what works for a decent price point. On my bench right now I have RCBS and Hornady presses and other tools and dies from Redding, Forster, Frankford Arsenal, Lyman, Lee, etc.

One brand I have really been impressed with lately is Frankford Arsenal. All the stuff I have bought from them has been well built, logical to use and at a reasonable price.

In regards to load development, there is tons of data on your basic cartridges like 9mm and 223. I would start with a common bullet and powder and then learn from there. One way to check your work is a with a chronograph. It gives you a data point to compare to known data.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition