Silly Me

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Silly Me

Post by auriga3 » 16 Nov 2019, 10:50 am

I had pulled 50 30/30 ammo to pieces the powder was Winchester 748 @30grns each say 1500grns or 98grams.I accidentally tipped the powder into a full 1/2 kilo of AR2208 which is 7700grns or 499grams.I contacted ADI their advice was dump the mixed powder.A costly mistake on my behalf no excuses.,lesson learnt be more careful & engage brain before hands.I can use either powder in the 30/30 but not mixed even as a small ratio.
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Silly Me

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2019, 12:25 pm

First there was stupid me , Then there was silly me. Please May I introduce to you the third bright intellectual of our group his name is dopey me. And he has earned this name because when attempting to change a tyre this morning on the way home from his dingo hunting adventure , he realises that there is actually no jack behind the seat of his Ute
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 12:48 pm

I know a bloke, about my height, who loaded cases with 2207 instead of 2209 and had to pull them apart.. I think his name was Dopey Me as well.

I am so lazy I would have shot the 50 rounds off instead of pulling them. I also only have one bottle of powder on my bench at a time to avoid tipping the excess from my powder thrower into the wrong bottle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 16 Nov 2019, 2:15 pm

:lol: :clap: lucky you realised
it happens :thumbsup: welcome to the club :clap: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

Im so paranoid about doing that...!!

Ive done it, but only lost a small amount of powder thank god--not worth worrying about...so i used it to make a couple of rockets... :lol:

I have the powder im using in a different container...so even if i have a kilo or half kilo bottle, i tip some into another bottle & use that as the 'working bottle' & top that up as i need it...
But, i only load small stuff, & even with 308 sized cases its pretty rare for me to load more than 50 at a time, so the working bottle is only half full at most... :)

And as said earlier, we all know the rule---one powder type on the bench at any given time... :)

BTW...a random mix of trailboss & 2208, evenly sprinkled over a few overlapping sections of duct tape, then wrapped around a timber BBQ skewer & ignited, travel faster & further than one might ordinarily think... :idea: ... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

If its any consolation, i just primed 15 cases to realise that they wernt sized yet.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 19 Nov 2019, 7:47 am

Would be easy enough to do mate. Definitely only one tin of powder on the bench at any one time.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition