subsonic using trailbosds

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

subsonic using trailbosds

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

I hired a backhoe driver I had not seen for 13 years and stayed at his place that night.It is in the bush and has lots of rabbits so I wish to make subsonic in .243 any one got any ideas.Where are you blade when I need you. :friends: :friends:
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: subsonic using trailbosds

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2019, 11:47 am

what's your twist duncan? i'd go with the heaviest bullet you know stabilises in your gun, take a 70% charge of trail boss under that bullet, and ladder test up from there. Pretty simple really.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2019, 12:27 pm

and if you're having stability issues, just go lighter...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2019, 12:50 pm

!:12 Howa 22 inch steel barrel.Its become my go to rifle for hunting and has a illuminated reticle.ADI lists a 100gn pill however I read an article that under 1000fps they go sideways All my .243 ammo is 80gn.I will follow your advice and make different loadings with PSP 80gn I have a lot of cases in .243 and all my .222 are loaded up plus the .222 is S/S and my .243 looks like this
.243.jpg
.243.jpg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2019, 1:02 pm

duncan61 wrote:!:12 Howa 22 inch steel barrel.Its become my go to rifle for hunting and has a illuminated reticle.ADI lists a 100gn pill however I read an article that under 1000fps they go sideways All my .243 ammo is 80gn.

Regardless of reduced loads or not, do you know if your 1:12 would actualy stabilse a 100gn? I mean, have you ever tried 100gn supers in her? I'm only speculating, but i think indeed a 80gn would be a better place to start for a 1:12... plus I'm sure you probably already have plenty of lighter pills - just start with whatever bullets you already have i reckon :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2019, 1:21 pm

I am going with a soft lead nose as Remington do them in a bag and I do not think there is anything more cost effective plus I need the splat effect.Its going to be hilarious the land is about 20 acres and it is a junkpile with logs and stuff everywhere but easy walking.My buddy is a hardcore drinker and all his stuff is not maintained well.We all know someone like that.They are good fun to hang with but never quite get it together.He has a .410 for the block but one shot and its all over and my .22LR is locked up at a different property and would be a hassle to get plus its a Winchester with open sights and I can not get my boof head low enough on the stock and I cant see anyway
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2019, 1:32 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am going with a soft lead nose as Remington do them in a bag and I do not think there is anything more cost effective plus I need the splat effect.Its going to be hilarious the land is about 20 acres and it is a junkpile with logs and stuff everywhere but easy walking.My buddy is a hardcore drinker and all his stuff is not maintained well.We all know someone like that.They are good fun to hang with but never quite get it together.He has a .410 for the block but one shot and its all over and my .22LR is locked up at a different property and would be a hassle to get plus its a Winchester with open sights and I can not get my boof head low enough on the stock and I cant see anyway

mate sounds perfect for TB loads :thumbsup: I used to hunt rabbits on a 25 acre block with subs myself. Just keep in mind you may not get good expansion at subsonic speeds. I used to get a lot of pencil holes on rabbits at 22lr standard velocities (which was actually suitable as I was tanning the skins at the time)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2019, 6:25 pm

Subsonic 22 RF
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2019, 2:35 pm

duncan61 wrote:I hired a backhoe driver I had not seen for 13 years and stayed at his place that night.It is in the bush and has lots of rabbits so I wish to make subsonic in .243 any one got any ideas.Where are you blade when I need you. :friends: :friends:

I missed this thread, Duncan, sorry :-)
I've used 72gn cast lead bullets which would be excellent at low subsonic velocities. I didn't pursue their accuracy potential, but they shoot as well as a .22LR out to 50-60m. I'll make a note to play around with them some more and see how good they can be.

I was shooting 55gn and 58gn bullets subsonically, but because the case is so large, the charges are tiny. They would be fine for head-shooting rabbits to 50m or so, but for better accuracy I settled on a 58gn VMax at 2000fps
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Nov 2019, 12:19 am

100 GR. Speer Boat Tail Soft Point Trail Boss .243" 2.650" 8.0 grain 1045 fps 27300 cup 15.3 grain 1603 fps 39100 cup.This is all I could find on ADI.On the other thread I have mentioned that I am considering buying 20 highland 100gn .243 and pulling them and loading 8gn Trailboss so I can get in the game.If it all works I will consider moulding my own
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition